WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Images

No offense taken, Skidsteer. Although if you start following me around, I'll have to publish a nasty article about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsylvania Rose
    Boys will be boys.
    you are a woman, right? you are worse than the men because, with comments like the above, you are enabling sexual harassment. have you no pride?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine butterfly
    you are a woman, right? you are worse than the men because, with comments like the above, you are enabling sexual harassment. have you no pride?
    Truth trumps pride. Every time.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Well, I wouldn't automatically assume sb is DejaVu, though something definately stinks about "her" posts. The last time I smelled that KirkMcQuest was on this site.

Can you spell T R O L L ????

i've been a lurker on the site -- until now.
    Todays date: 8/28

Date you joined: 8/28

Exactly how long did you "lurk"?

Images

You left out the 'Girls will be girls' part of PR's quote.

Bad form.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Images

LW was right!!! She IS a man hater. Stand up Brienne and take a bow.

I recognized the writer from trail journals as she traveled with some people who had some of the better journals from that year. (I thought anyway) I think the best people to comment on the validity of the article are people from 04 who knew her and hiked with her. Anyone out there?

Ordinarily i would say it was none of my business, but once the article is written, it is out there so now, why not get the skinny.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsylvania Rose
    Boys will be boys.
    Girls will be girls.
    There's good and bad about how each act.
    In this case, the worst in both seem to have been brought out.
    I'm quoting myself, sunshine butterfly, because you seem to acknowledge only the part of my statement that pissed you off, not the entire thing, which has a totally different meaning.

Grow up.

Thanks again, Skidsteer.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Better take me on as well, sb. I'm the female half of a hetro couple

Just ignore the troll. She's pathetic, angry, and her comments are less than worthless.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

that's right, attack me. i am not worthy of an opinion on this matter. no wonder there's so much sexual harassment on the appalachian trail.

You are worthy of an opinion. No one is saying you can't have an opinion. However you made some comments that some people disagreed with, and now you are hearing other people's opinions. Ain't Amerika grate?

Quote Originally Posted by Ender
    Just ignore the troll. She's pathetic, angry, and her comments are less than worthless.
    In the post above, substitute the word "article" for "troll". Then substitute the word "It's" for "She's." Finally, substitute "the article is" for "her comments are", and that about sizes up this entire topic.

I feel like I'm back in the corporate world listening to the same schmucks talking about who is sleeping with who. Buncha nonsense.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

that's right, attack me. i am not worthy of an opinion on this matter. no wonder there's so much sexual harassment on the appalachian trail.
    So let's discuss it instead. In case you missed it:

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer
    Sunshine, I'd be happy to tell you how I feel after you answer Wolf's first and second questions.

Third question is optional. I'll leave it up to you. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Batter up!
    Skids

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender
    I do agree that she may be a troll, but seeing as how she's very very new to the site, this is for her benefit:

Troll is not a sexist term, it does not designate gender and is not intended to denigrate the looks of the target in any way.

A troll (here at least) can be a man or a woman who stirs up trouble for the purpose of amusing themselves at the anger of others. They don't mean what they say, it is simply intended to get a reaction.

Stick around hon you can learn lots of things here.

hon is not a sexist term, it does designate gender but is simply used to indicate familiarity, it does not make me a chauvinist pig.

Take this clue from someone who edits newspaper copy for a living: everything in the article in question is most likely 100 percent true -- from the perspective of the writer.

The reason why her own possibly self-destructive behavior was left in the story (assuming it wasn't just to fill space) is that this provides complexity and nuance and makes it a better story than one which merely depicts men as apes and women as babes in the woods. She said at the beginning "the women get mean" and she admits at the end that yep, she was mean.

Any story that causes this much furor must be doing something right, but what that something is depends on the perspective of the reader. Some defend the trail, some defend the storyteller, some sit on the sidelines and chuckle at how little guys & gals of our species have learned after living together for 100,000 years.

Having said all this: it's still a story, that is, a narrative imposed on a collection of events. A story, not THE story.

The trail has survived far worse.

Images

This is proof positive that you did not lurk here anonymously but came here for another reason altogether. See above post.

Images

How to deal with sexual harassment in the real world and like an adult (go down the list if he won't get the message):

1. Ignore it.
    2. Tell the guy he's out of line in a nice way.
    3. Avoid the guy like the plague.
    4. Tell the guy he's out of line in a not so nice way.
    5. Report him to the authorities and let them deal with him (I guess that would be friendly fellow hikers on the AT).

Note that #6 is NOT sleep with him if he won't leave you alone.

And, guys, I know that women sometimes harass, but I generalized for simplicity.

As for rampant harassment on the trail, some women have heard comments around the campfire, or in the shelter. I've never heard anything worse than what my husband and his friends say on poker night. In both cases, they shut up quick with a dirty look.

Post 139(?) prediction: this thread will exceed 1000 posts, or it will be shut down before it can.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++