WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Default AT Monopoly - Properties?

I got the idea from MedicineMan at this thread. I think AT Monopoly would be a great idea! What would the properties be? I could see the Community Chest as "Hiker Box". The AMC could be the luxury tax space - they take enough $$$ along the way.

Boardwalk and Park Place? Free Parking? Railroads?

What do you all think?
    So be it.
    --John

Well, the obvious answer for properties is shelters i think (even though i'm one of the "rip em all down" crowd)
    But possibly (and this ain't right for any wilderness experience ideas) it would be towns along the way with the grouping (colors) being states???
    Railroads could be bars along the way.
    Free parking could be any free hostels (i don't even know if there are any of these left besides eckville and 501, when i first hiked the trail, the hostels were all free in '77)
    Boardwalk and Park place could be Fontana Hilton or perhaps the Hiawassee Holiday Inn and others like them???
    But to revolve it all around money like the original may not be too cool. perhaps mileage could somehow be the reward for going past go or something?
    So, how would one win? or lose? (just my thoughts of course)
    Let's face it, most all AT hikers are winners.

Images

The Rail Roads could be shuttle services. Passing go could be a post office, so you pass the post office and pick up $200 in your mail drop.

And I agree about shelters being the properties. You could start with Georgia on one end and go to Maine at the top end. Each "section" of properties could be a different state.

And instead of going to jail, you get off the trail.

"Get off the trail, do not hit the post office, do not pick up any mail drops"

And the get out of jail free cards can be a free shuttle back to the trail.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 08-28-2006 at 03:44.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default maybe a square that let's you skip

PA!
    and a square if caught blue or yellow blazing sends you back to Springer
    and a square that has serious trail magic like instant ownership of a profitable hostel
    and a square that allows instant resupply for a week and easy water source

speaking of railroads,,,dont you buy those in real monopoly? well maybe signicant features could be bought in AT Monopoly, like Iron Masters Mansion an others???

could be a cool game
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Great idea!
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan
    PA!
    and a square if caught blue or yellow blazing sends you back to Springer
    and a square that has serious trail magic like instant ownership of a profitable hostel
    and a square that allows instant resupply for a week and easy water source

Or instead of squares, make these the chance and community chest cards.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Maybe the most valuable places should be the most beautiful on the AT...and not the town stops. Katahdin is Boardwalk and the 100 mile Wilderness is Park Place, for Maine, etc.

Each color could be a section or state: SMokies, WHites, Green Mountains, Mahoosics, NJ etc.

Houses could add to a shelter area: water source, privey, picnic table, firepit...replaced with killer looking shelter by loghouse designs, etc.)

Luxury tax could be a purchase from an outfitter

Taxes could be a town stop

RRs could be AMC shelters in the whites

Community chest could be town stop related

Chance cards could be kharma related

Get out of Jail is delay caused by pink blazing

Free parking is Trail days

Happy hiking!

TTF

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Time To Fly 97
    Each color could be a section or state: SMokies, WHites, Green Mountains, Mahoosics, NJ etc.
    Excellent idea - what would be considered the low rent area of the AT? Where is the least trail/hiker friendly?
    So be it.
    --John

Images

What about the playing pieces you move around the board? (I always wanted to be the race car). Could they be animals or even (?) trail legend images? If so, who would they be?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerjohnd
    Excellent idea - what would be considered the low rent area of the AT? Where is the least trail/hiker friendly?
    I think in a traditional South to North hike, the hike gets better and better the further you go...

It has less to do with how expensive or friendly the area is, but more the REAL stuff.

I would just go in order of a South to North hike.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer
    What about the playing pieces you move around the board? (I always wanted to be the race car). Could they be animals or even (?) trail legend images? If so, who would they be?
    I always liked the top hat : ) Some ideas for AT game:

Northern terminus sign, rock with a Springer plaque, tree with a blaze on it, pair of boots, TP roll with a little trowel, backpack, pair of lekis, a bear, a mouse, a white blaze

I think there should be a blue blaze trail in the game somewhere too...just for fun.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Images

Default Seriously ...

If the legal aspects of offerring such a game for sale are not insurmountable, it might be a great fund raiser for ATC. I'll bet it would sell and wouldn't it be fun to play it with your A.T. friends when you get together?

Images

OK blue blazes can replace the railroads.

"Take a hike on the BMT, proceed to davenport gap. If you pass the post office collect a $200 mail drop."
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I think the properties should be ranked on natural beauty and scenic landmarks or experiences along the trail. And these shouldn't be "bought" so...

Use "hiker points" instead of money. That way, Katahdin is worth 500 hiker points instead of however many dollars. Drop some trash on the trail (chance card) and you lose some hiker points to the "free parking" space. Then when you land on free parking (call it Trail Magic) you get all the hiker points in the pot.

At the end, the person with the most hiker points wins...b/c hiking is about getting out there and seeing things rather than the money...about the experience more than "buying" things. And rewarding points for experiences can reinforce a conservation and sharing approach rather than an "I bought it so it's mine" approach.

I like Community Chest being Hiker Box, and the railroads being shuttles, too. Chance cards could have a twisted ankle send you off trail (jail), donation to ATC, maildrop didn't show up / pay extra points, help a friend in need, etc. The AMC hut / Luxury Tax is pretty funny.

Gotta put something in there about cell phones, dogs, hiking poles, hammocks, JetBoils, Gucci hikers, pot smokers, snoring...ok, maybe not.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray
    If the legal aspects of offerring such a game for sale are not insurmountable, it might be a great fund raiser for ATC. I'll bet it would sell and wouldn't it be fun to play it with your A.T. friends when you get together?
    You could certainly create a not-for-sale prototype for limited play, but it's not clear what you'd have to do to productize for retail sale.

Here is a web site that infers that there may not be a valid copyright on the design of the game itself, only the name Monopoly.

Here is a Wikipedia listing of licensed Monopoly gameboards, and then you've got a bunch of special title games from USAopoly! I'm sure there are a bunch of others out there. As a graduate of Syracuse University, my wife still owns a copy of Syracusopoly.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

How about the RR's being significant hostels along the way - Miss Janet's, Kincora, Birdcage, Shaw's. Maybe have the ATC be one of the utilities.

As to pieces, how about a leki pole, stove, pack, boot (my fav piece from original game), tent, etc.

And the trail does not necessarily get better as you move north - Some of my favorite places are in the South, but logical progression around the board from south to north makes sense.

How do we contact the ATC/Hasbro about this?
    Last edited by hikerjohnd; 08-28-2006 at 13:37.
    So be it.
    --John

Images

How about for money we could use mountain money. TP
    Pass go collect 200 squares of TP

For the railroads how about they be Hostels

And the regular propertys shelters.

My 2 cents
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerjohnd

And the trail does not necessarily get better as you move north - Some of my favorite places are in the South, but logical progression around the board from south to north makes sense.
    You missed my point... I think the trail EXPERIENCE gets better the further you progress because you've been out longer (Northbound or Southbound).

This is a fun thread.

There is a company that makes monopoly variations (I forget who - google it). You have to design your Monopoly variation within their rules, buy "x" amount of games ahead of time and then it is up to you to sell them and make a profit. Seems like that would be easy to do via the WhiteBlaze community, especially if you donate a portion to a worthy AT related caude.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Images

the doyle should be free parking, and we could use the palmerton jailhouse as the jail.

Default Candyland

I'm not sure Monopoly is the game to model an AT game on -- in Monopoly you go around and around the board, seeing the same places again and again, kind of like NASCAR (only you make right turns in Monopoly instead of left). Candyland seems more like the right model. You have a single start and end point. Wish I still had my Candyland game from when I was a kid so I could see if there were any more parallels.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++