WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com temporary closing

Hello loyal WB'ers,

I thought this would be an appropriate place to make this announcement. I usually do not have any interest in publicizing and\or announcing anything about my business, but this is a little different. I am leaving to attend my first semester at the University of Rochester tomorrow on the 29th, and I would like to announce that I will not be conducting any business during my first semester at school as OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.

I need to take a break from designing and sewing and concentrate on school work and getting oriented up at school. Beginning sometime around the New Year, I will begin again accepting and shipping out orders as before, and hopefully continue uninterrupted into the unknown future (at least a few years).

Please realize that I am not closing permanently, just for the first semester. I will continue to keep my website up to date and offer email support to anyone who needs it.

I want to thank WB'ers for their kind support and comments, and I hope to be back in the business soon!

Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com

Good luck at school, Brian...hope you're back in business soon, but it's good to see you're putting your grades first.

Did you get my email from a few days ago?

Images

Good luck in Ra-cha-cha. I spent many enjoyable years there. Just beware the lake effect snow! BTW, if you want some great ribs and really good music, check out the dinosaur barbeque grill downtown.
    Peace,
    Joe

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Best of luck to you as you start college.

Brian:

I wondered how you were going to do that! (go to engineering school and run the business). I myself am an EE (NC State University) so I know how that first semester or two can be. Get in there and kick butt the first couple semesters, get started off on a good GPA, and then see how it goes from there. Usually you develop an "equilibrium" of sorts in your sophomore year and making gear on the side may actually be theraputic.

And don't let Chemistry 101 and 201 get you down, those are "weed-out" courses for the uncommitted, ha ha .
    You get through engineering school just like you get to Katahdin; one step at a time, and don't ever even think about quitting.

By the way we're enjoying the 10x10 tarp, thanks for the help this past summer.
    Congratulations and Godspeed....

Images

Brian
    Good luck at school
    the McCat Standard was key on my section hike.. Great tarp

Unconfirmed Section Hiker!!! Touch of Grey's Avatar

Default Good Luck!!!

Good Luck also from here Brian. Sounds as if you have a good idea about where your priorities need to be for the time being. Just like the others are saying and like the trail tells you if you listen, take your time and do what you have to do for your future. Ultimately you only have to answer to yourself when it is all said and done. Use OES as therapy or a hobby. The other things you will learn in school will put food and satisfaction in your body and mind.

Aim High!

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Brian,

Good luck in college...

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Man - I wish my students had your dedication to their education... Good luck!
    So be it.
    --John

1000+ miles down, 1000+ miles to go

Default Good luck

Best of luck to you, Brian. My recently purchased MacCat has preformed flawlessly so far and greatly enhanced my HH system. Thanks.

If any of you backpackers out there need a new tarp for next spring I highly recommend waiting 'til Brian reopens the shop this winter and then order one from him.

BTW, Brian, what courses are you taking?
    "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
    But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it's longer than any hour.
    That's relativity." --Albert Einstein--

Images

Brian - I'd say good luck, but it's not about luck. It's about desire and stamina, and it sounds like you've got both in plenty supply. You're gonna do well, I'm sure!

And as for engineering, well.....it's not quite physics, but I guess it'll do Good on ya!
    Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting. - J. J. Thompson

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Good luck to you. I really like my McCat tarp.

As another EE I will also warn you of the weed out courses. Mainly the whole first year. I started with somewhere around 160+ and graduated with around 40-50. Just stick it out and you will be fine. Although at UC engineering is pre-business.

Images

Thanks for all your comments. It sure is a zoo running around meeting advisors, planning my schedule, and still finding time to actually learn the names of buildings. Luckily the UR campus is small (only 4500 undergrads), so its not too much of a trek from building to building.

My schedule this semester will be my one and only Chem Course, Calc, Intro to MechE, and my one required writing course. Next semester will probably be Physics (mechanics), two more intro MechE courses and more calc.

Thanks again for all your kind words and tips, especially the ones about sticking through it. I'll have to keep that in mind when studying!

Brian
    OES

Images

Perhaps I could have started another thread, but I would rather not clutter up WB with multiple threads. I am officially open for business again! I made it through the semester (with a pretty happy GPA), and I'm gearing up (no pun intended) to get ready to start shipping tarps hopefully within a week. Thanks again for your patience!

Brian
    OES

Just got my order in.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    I thought this would be an appropriate place to make this announcement. I usually do not have any interest in publicizing and\or announcing anything about my business, but this is a little different. I am leaving to attend my first semester at the University of Rochester tomorrow on the 29th, and I would like to announce that I will not be conducting any business during my first semester at school as OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.
    As a UR alumnus (BSEE, 1977, not something I often admit) you have my deepest sympathies. So how'd the first semester go? Didja get any sun at all?

++ New Posts ++