WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1st hike advice

Images

Default 1st hike advice

My wife and I are going to do a 1 or 2 night hike this fall on the AT and neither of us has ever backpacked. We are both in average shape for our age - I'm 50, she's 49. I was considering the Newfound Gap/Clingmans Dome area but hoped to get some suggestions here for a section that will be a good intro to the AT - something that isn't too difficult that has some nice views, to be sure this isn't our 1st and last hike together. Also, any input on Trails.com would be great as I got an email from them for a 1/2 off subscription offer the other day, good until 8/31. If I'm in the wrong place somebody please point me in the right direction.

"Showme" on the trail ffstenger's Avatar
    Images

Default First AT Hike

to White Blaze!
    The Smokys is a great introduction to hiking the AT, but it can be a bit difficult for beginners. The area from Clingmans Dome to Newfound Gap
    would be a good overninght with a stay at Mt. Collins shelter. Be sure to make shelter reservations before you go, and pick up a back country permit
    before you enter the park. As far as scenery gos, with the Smokys or the whole AT, you take what you get..... The best of views can be lost to bad weather Have you aquired gear yet??? Lots of good advice on WB as to what to carry, check out the gear review threads. I'm doing a repeat section hike in the Smokys the end of Sept, looking foreward to that. Hope you have a good Hike! Show-me
    A journy of "2174" miles begins with a single step...

Images

Welcome to WB. I started backpacking again after a 30 yr hiatus and I was ready to give up on the 1st steep uphill. Make sure you lighten your load as much as possible. I'm not sure you have any hills in Chicago. If you can get into Soldier Field or any other stadium, you can climb the stadium steps a few times to see what going up the mountains is like. The Newfound Gap area would be great for beginning as you are not going to be making any extended steep ascents. Have fun. Be Careful, you may get addicted to hiking like me.

My wife and I went on a overnite last yr and I started something that she loves and it gets her to go with me more often. We get a shuttle out of town and hike back into town, where she gets a massage and a little pampering. Started this by hiking into Damascus and staying at a bed and breakfast and then on into Ashville for the massage. Last spring it was starting at Max Patch and into Hot Springs for hot tubs and massage. It will do wonders for your wife if she is less than happy with the uphills.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by joec
    My wife and I went on a overnite last yr and I started something that she loves and it gets her to go with me more often. We get a shuttle out of town and hike back into town, where she gets a massage and a little pampering. Started this by hiking into Damascus and staying at a bed and breakfast and then on into Ashville for the massage. Last spring it was starting at Max Patch and into Hot Springs for hot tubs and massage. It will do wonders for your wife if she is less than happy with the uphills.
    Man, you're making the rest of us look bad.

In my opinion, the best two night trip in the Smokies (hands down) is to start at Newfound Gap, take the AT north to Icewater Springs shelter. (Visit Charlies Bunion on day one.) Next day take the Boulevard Trail to Mt. Leconte shelter for the second night. On day three, hike down the Alum Cave Trail to Hwy 441.

As short shuttle or hitch is involved. I usually drop my gear and companion(s) at Newfound Gap, then drop the car at the Alum Cave trailhead before starting to hike. Hitching a ride back up to Newfound Gap has always been easy.

This hike might be described as more "moderate" than easy. But with only 5 miles to cover per day, you can take your time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule
    In my opinion, the best two night trip in the Smokies (hands down) is to start at Newfound Gap, take the AT north to Icewater Springs shelter. (Visit Charlies Bunion on day one.) Next day take the Boulevard Trail to Mt. Leconte shelter for the second night. On day three, hike down the Alum Cave Trail to Hwy 441.

As short shuttle or hitch is involved. I usually drop my gear and companion(s) at Newfound Gap, then drop the car at the Alum Cave trailhead before starting to hike. Hitching a ride back up to Newfound Gap has always been easy.

This hike might be described as more "moderate" than easy. But with only 5 miles to cover per day, you can take your time.
    I have a friend who hasn't hiked in the Smokies before and this is the hike we will de doing in Oct
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by ffstenger
    pick up a back country permit
    before you enter the park.
    It's a lot easier to find one inside the park!!!

Images

Default Thanks to all

Thanks for the suggested routes, they definitely look to be doable for either 1 or 2 nights. I spoke with someone this morning who does shuttling in the area and he suggested avoiding the Mt. LeConte shelter. The main reason he gave was that if, after getting a permit, the shelter is full when we arrive, we would not be able to pitch the tent, especially since Rangers seem to frequent the LeConte area. I was/am leaning toward the Newfound Gap/Icewater Spring/LeConte 2 night trip, as Ewker suggests, but would hate to be faced with having to hike the 5 add'l. miles to 441 from LeConte if it is full. Is this a common thing?
    Thanks again for your posts.

Images

the times I have been there the shelter wasn't full. Usually no permits will be given out after the shelter reaches its max capacity of 12 people. If there is more people than 12 there that means that someone is there without a permit. The ranger has always stopped by when I was there to check permits.
    Just remember you need to call 30 days in advance to get a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by kgilby
    I spoke with someone this morning who does shuttling in the area and he suggested avoiding the Mt. LeConte shelter. The main reason he gave was that if, after getting a permit, the shelter is full when we arrive, we would not be able to pitch the tent, especially since Rangers seem to frequent the LeConte area.
    That's nonsense. A permit for a shelter is essentially a reservation. It entitles the holder to a space in the shelter. Since LeConte is not on the AT, everyone there should have a reservation. (It is not first come, first served.) If they don't, then they are the ones who need to sleep outside or hike down the mountain. (That's when you want a ranger to show up!!)

In over 30 years of hiking in the Smokies, there has never been a time when I was not able to stay in a shelter that I had a permit for. Yes, there were a couple of times when I have had to move some noncompliant hikers out who did not have permits, but so be it.

Typically, there are more people who have reservations and don't show up than those who do the opposite.

Images

I'm glad to hear that this is a rare happening. I just don't want to be in a position of turning a day of hiking into a day+ an evening of hiking.
    Thanks.

Gilby:

The Smokies are a great place to hike. Especially in October. I would suggest Shenandoah NP for beginners however. The area you're looking at is over 5000' in elevation. The weather can be very unpredictable up high. Shenandoah is fairly gentle terrain, lower in elevation, and closer to Chicago. It is also a beautiful place to hike.

Whatever you choose to do - enjoy yourselves and be safe.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker
    I have a friend who hasn't hiked in the Smokies before and this is the hike we will de doing in Oct
    That's funny. I have friend who is taking me on a this trip in October.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

[quote=MOWGLI16]Gilby:

I would suggest Shenandoah NP for beginners however.
    quote]

MOWGLI16,
    I'm certainly open to any section of the trail - if you have suggestions for any particular sections of the trail in Shenandoah, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Images

You might want to consider western New Jersey. It's surprisingly nice and it's an easy hike. You'll have enough to get used to with this being your first backpacking trip without picking someplace that's a difficult hike. It might also be the easiest section of trail for you to get to, if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by kgilby

MOWGLI16,
    I'm certainly open to any section of the trail - if you have suggestions for any particular sections of the trail in Shenandoah, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
    You know - I blew through there in 4.5 days in 2000, and only recently went back to hike off of the AT. I'm sure folks here could help out - or you could simply get the guidebook and maps and design a loop hike using the AT.

Anybody else have any suggestions for a weekend trip in Shenandoah?
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Default That's...

close to the loop my wife and I are doing, starting 9/18. However, we're starting at 441, hiking into the Kephart Shelter, then up Sweat Heifer to Icewater Spgs and then over to LeConte. We have shelter reservations, but, if a cancellation pops up at the Lodge, we'll home in there for someone else to cook for us. BTW, Ewker, I looked at your Boulevard trip pics from last year on Webshots. Awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV
    close to the loop my wife and I are doing, starting 9/18. However, we're starting at 441, hiking into the Kephart Shelter, then up Sweat Heifer to Icewater Spgs and then over to LeConte.
    The scenery is better if you take the Grassy Branch and Dry Sluice Gap Trail up to the AT from the Kephart Shelter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer
    That's funny. I have friend who is taking me on a this trip in October.
    that is very nice of your friend to do that for you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++