WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Essential resupply points

I'm trying to compile a list of the towns where the resupply options are very limited, and thus having a box shipped to you is encouraged. Here are the cities i have written down on my list so far. Feel free to add more, or tell me that some of these towns are actually fine to resupply for food in.

Fontana Dam
    Port Clinton, PA
    Bear Mtn, NY
    Delaware Water Gap
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Glencliff, NH

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Things change a bit from year to year but in preparing for my thru in 2003 I identified 3 places for an actual "food maildrop"

Harpers Ferry, WV
    Bear Mountain, NY
    Glencliff, NH

In retrospect those WERE (at least in 2003) the right places to send food. I was able to re-supply without a hassle everywhere else.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

There is, or at least WAS, an excellent compilation of resupply data and tactics by Baltimore Jack right here on WB. On the left side of the opening WB page, under Appalachian Trail Articles, by clicking on "AT Resupply," you should be taken to it. For some reason it's not working today.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline
    There is, or at least WAS, an excellent compilation of resupply data and tactics by Baltimore Jack right here on WB. On the left side of the opening WB page, under Appalachian Trail Articles, by clicking on "AT Resupply," you should be taken to it. For some reason it's not working today.
    I had no problem accessing the resupply articles (IE 6.0).

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice
    I had no problem accessing the resupply articles (IE 6.0).

OK, you have to click on the triangle, not the words "AT Resupply"--then you get a sub-menu to select which part of the very excellent article you want to view.

Might be a good idea for ATTroll to let WB users know this is how to view the articles. It is not self-explanatory--I only figured it out by accident.

Anyway, this should certainly provide more info and thought about AT Resupply than most of us ever dreamed existed.

Quote Originally Posted by vaporjourney
    I'm trying to compile a list of the towns where the resupply options are very limited, and thus having a box shipped to you is encouraged. Here are the cities i have written down on my list so far. Feel free to add more, or tell me that some of these towns are actually fine to resupply for food in.

Fontana Dam
    Port Clinton, PA
    Bear Mtn, NY
    Delaware Water Gap
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Glencliff, NH
    If you stay at the Hike Inn near Fontana Dam you can get a ride into Robbinsville for pizza and to the Ingles Supermarket there in town. Lots of hikers choose this stop.

I got a ride from a Ridgerunner in Port Clinton to the local supermarket. You can always hitch. It's not all that far.

At DWG I got a ride from a Ridgerunner into East Stroudsburg where a bunch of us had dinner and then went to the Super Wally World for re-supply. Good times.

The remaining three choices all are pretty good places for a drop. Glencliff is also a great place to mail yourself some winter gear in prep for the White Mountains. The weather can get pretty sketchy there at all times of the year - including July & August.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Default care packages are great anywhere

but not a must have anywhere. the AT can still be walked without the post office being involved. just a thaught.
    matthewski

What pray tell, did Earl do? My God he musta suffered greatly!

There's a fast & cheap city bus from Harper's Ferry to a shopping center with a Walmart in Martinsburg, the next town over.

I had no maildrops. The only place one would have been nice was at Fontana Dam Village, but I wouldn't recommend staying there anyway.

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

No need for a maildrop at Bear Mountain (NY), either. A nice fellow gave me & 4 other hikers a ride to the grocery store from the Graymoor Friary. I don't know if this is real common at the Friary, but there are plenty of road crossings in the area to hitch from.
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

++ New Posts ++