WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images
    If I had not been able to periodically renew myself in the mountains...I would be very nearly bughouse. - Wallace Stegner in Wilderness and the Geography of Hope

Just spotted this article myself. Interesting approach to draw attention to a cause. I cannot imagine doing all those rocky miles barefoot. I hope he makes it for Veterans Day. Looking forward to the comments from our military friends.

A friend and I are planning on somewhat doing this in a month or so (for 1/2 the trail because of college). The only footwear we're bringing are a pair of good moccasins each from this guy: http://www.itascamoccasin.com/
    I'm really excited about this. Native Americans used these for much harder things than the AT, so I'm sure they won't kill us. There's not the quandry of blisters from cotton socks. We'll be able to easily switch from bare feet to our light moccasins when we encounter sharp rocks, etc.; not to mention:

"When you wear a heel of any height on your shoes, it contributes to the shortening of your Achilles tendon and your calf muscles. Both your Achilles tendon and your calf muscles, help with the action of pushing you forward when you take a step. Therefore your shortened muscles and tendons add to reduced muscle toning and fatigue."

With moccasins this is not an issue.

But you know, we're just doing it cuz she's a damned hippie who talked me into it. ;P

I love the idea of hiking barefoot, and am in awe of those who do long distances that way. Most I have done is 6 miles, sans pack, on the section near my house. It isn't much of a problem at all, but it really slows you down. Of course, that can be a good thing, but I also found I thought more about my feet than anything else. Not what I want to be concentrating on when I am walking.

However, the day after a rain, hiking barefoot can be glorious.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hounoki View Post
    A friend and I are planning on somewhat doing this in a month or so (for 1/2 the trail because of college). The only footwear we're bringing are a pair of good moccasins each from this guy: http://www.itascamoccasin.com/
    I'm really excited about this. Native Americans used these for much harder things than the AT, so I'm sure they won't kill us. There's not the quandry of blisters from cotton socks. We'll be able to easily switch from bare feet to our light moccasins when we encounter sharp rocks, etc.; not to mention:

"When you wear a heel of any height on your shoes, it contributes to the shortening of your Achilles tendon and your calf muscles. Both your Achilles tendon and your calf muscles, help with the action of pushing you forward when you take a step. Therefore your shortened muscles and tendons add to reduced muscle toning and fatigue."

With moccasins this is not an issue.

But you know, we're just doing it cuz she's a damned hippie who talked me into it. ;P
    Have you conditioned you feet and ankles to walk long distances on rough and uneven soil?

Good luck and please, keep us updated!

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hounoki View Post
    Hey! The moccasin guy is from Portland too! I guess it was fortunate thing that y'all hooked up!

Good luck on your hike.

Images

Have you guys heard about Isis & Jackrabbit?

Bearfoot Sisters
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Images

Default Another barefoot hiker

I'm a barefoot hiker too. I think it's funny how society is coming around full-circle on the issue. A hundred years ago, give or take, tromping around without shoes was not that unusual. Granted, some of that was from lack of means. But the demands we began to put on ourselves eventually led society toward more protective footwear, culminating in heavy, clunky hiking boots! You'd don't see that much anymore... (thank goodness). From many, many posts here on WB, it seems that a lot of folks are actually back to hiking in very lightweight shoes like Chacos or sandals. Hiking barefoot is the ultimate "step" in this cycle.

To the recent poster who plans to hike barefoot with moccasins as a backup, best of luck to you! I'm hiking the Maryland section of the AT next week! (barefoot, of course... )

I did Mt Whitney last year and met a guy Named Barefoot Ted. He not only hikes up and back barefooted but he does the 22 miles under 5 hours. I started at 3 in the morning and got back at 8 at night. 17 hours. He told me he was 43. He looked 25
    If a man speaks in the forest, but there is no women to hear him, IS HE STILL WRONG

Check this out. its close to running bare foot with a little protection http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.html I bought the classic.
    If a man speaks in the forest, but there is no women to hear him, IS HE STILL WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyLeggs View Post
    Have you guys heard about Isis & Jackrabbit?

Bearfoot Sisters
    I was going to say the same thing they have an interview with them on Trailcast.com I have listened to it and it is good listening.

++ New Posts ++