WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default iodine or purifier?

I am concerned that over months of use iodine would make your system especially toxic. If this is true or false please inform.

Images

False. You get iodine every time you eat table salt. Follow the recommended instructions on the package.

Also, you can neutralize the iodine after it does it's 30 minutes with vit C.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

AquaMira works well, too...no iodine but much lighter than a filter.

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

My understanding is that Vitamin C doesn't neutralize the iodine, but just takes the iodine flavor out of the water. If it neutralized the iodine, then what would be the point of using it?

The amount of iodine you get from salt in your diet is a ton less than you get from adding drops to all the water you end up drinking, and that large amount is bad for you, but only over a long period of time and not for just six months of hiking or the occasional section hike. Fine to use over a thru-hike.

vitamin c does indeed neutalize the iodine. that is why you must wait until the iodine works and then flavor / neutalize it. if both are added at the same time then you are correct, the iodine is useless.
    geek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman93 View Post
    I am concerned that over months of use iodine would make your system especially toxic. If this is true or false please inform.
    just like sgt. rock said, besides any toxins you will sweat out (or at least it felt that way sometimes)
    if you don't like the taste, even after neutralized, or if you don't like any no-seeums or various other things that will find their way into your water then go w/ a filter.
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Iodine

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman93 View Post

It's FALSE....

But, if you still have a worry about Iodine use....drink straight from the mountain streams....unless you have a weak stomach....you'll be fine!

PLUS....a damn purifier weighs too much!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

I own Tekoa Mountain Outdoors in Huntington, MA
    I do summer work for World Challenge Expeditions and as a ridgerunner for the AMC
    I use iodone every year when I go on expedition onto Central / South America, and I pre treat with a PUR Hiker filter just because of the nasty little critters we may find while there, Here on the trail there is still little critters to watch out for. so on the AT i use just a PUR Hiker Filter

Tim

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
    My understanding is that Vitamin C doesn't neutralize the iodine, but just takes the iodine flavor out of the water. If it neutralized the iodine, then what would be the point of using it?

The amount of iodine you get from salt in your diet is a ton less than you get from adding drops to all the water you end up drinking, and that large amount is bad for you, but only over a long period of time and not for just six months of hiking or the occasional section hike. Fine to use over a thru-hike.
    Yes it does neutralize the Iodine. It turns the Iodine into another chemical. That other chemical (I forget the name) doesn't kill the critters in your water like iodine does. So you have to wait the standard 30 minutes like you should anyway when using iodine. But when you add the Vit C it changes pretty dang fast (you can watch the water change color).

That said, iodine is actually beneficial to the body. It helps prevent goiters. If you look at packets of salt or containers of salt - it says Iodized. That is because doctors have found you needed it and figured this is one way to get it into your diet. Recently read an article that says with the low sodium craze, that most Americans are not getting the RDA of iodine, so if you start treating with it, you may actually help your health. BTW, the chemical that iodine changes into when you add the Vit C does the same thing in this respect (so I understand).

Add to that the Vit C also is a good thing to get on the trail. This is a win/win thing. AND a filter doesn't stop viruses. If you read any filter manufacturer's literature they also recommend adding either iodine or chlorine to your water to knock out that threat - something I reckon filter users miss when they say how great their filter protects and how much better it is than chemicals. If you have to add chemicals anyway (the manufacturer's recommendation, not mine) then why have the filter in the first place?
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

mayb cause virus are not a threat to humans in backcountry h20 supplies,,whereas bacteria and crypto are??? yore chemicals don't touch cryto ..but filters do
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

I used to sell filters and got that question a lot. You'd really only want that filter-purifier double-protection if you were hiking in some exotic places outside the US.

Thanks for the correction on the Vitamin C.

Images

Actually they do touch them. If you read what the CDC and military testing have shown, they do effect those critters. The filter makers like to tell you they do not, but read the data - they do have effect.

Add to that, the actual data from the CDC on how hard it is to get Giardia symotoms from even "heavily giardia contaminated" water. It is like telling you that you need a gun to protect you from bears on the AT.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

not at the levels and time intervals that most hiker trash who use chemicals allow
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

LOL, how do you know? You out there timing them?

But seriously. Good to see you around here some more.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Default Water treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
    It's FALSE....

But, if you still have a worry about Iodine use....drink straight from the mountain streams....unless you have a weak stomach....you'll be fine!

PLUS....a damn purifier weighs too much!
    Well, I guess I am paranoid about my water having known a few folks that have gotten giardiasis (MD confirmed). In the deep wilderness, I have enough experience to pretty much know safe water when I see it and have occasionally gone an entire trip without treating. Just choose wisely. For me, the biggest difficulty in less remote wilderness like portions of the AT is not knowing what is upstream. So, for my AT trip next year, I will have triple coverage. I have a homemade filter based on the Sawyer SP120 Inline that weighs less than 3 ounces and will be used to filter any nasty water 2L at a time up to 2000L total. Iodine will be my primary tool and used for anything that I will be treating chemically (may or may not pre-filter). Finally, as a backup in my first-aid kit, is a tiny dropper bottle with 0.15mL of bleach for emergency use just in case the filter breaks and iodine gets lost/?? (never needed so far but it is only a 4gm security blanket). Oh yeah, a tiny silk hanky as a muck filter is also sometimes necessary. But all that said, it is probably more important to wash your hands often than to treat your water... doodah-man

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

heck, may as well go with the redundant treatment at the start if it'd make you more comfortable. If you want to drop weight later then you'll know what you can send home.

I've always wondered if some people are more prone to getting Giardia than others, or if you can develop some resistance to it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    LOL, how do you know? You out there timing them?

But seriously. Good to see you around here some more.
    well i have been know to hang around some hiker trash

Images

I just read some literature on the treatment of Giardia with iodine - looks like 20 minutes at standard dosage was found to reduce levels (in moderately contaminated water) to a safe level.

The manufacturer says wait 30 - so you are good.

And

The actual level of contamination on the AT is probably none to low.

So the hiker trash is probably safe using iodine even if they ain't waiting the full 30 minutes. I wouldn't recommend it though.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

I went with a First Need purifier, taking NO chances here, I'll lug the 15 oz!!
    Flow Rate per minute quarts (liters)
    1.8 qt. pm (1.7 lpm)Average Capacity gallons (pints)
    125 gal. (1000 pints)
    Particle Retention (microns)
    .1 nominal
    .4 absolute
    Temperature Range F° (C&#176
    32° - 100° (0° to 38&#176 - do not freeze
    Weight
    15 oz. (426 grams)
    Canister (diameter x height)
    2. 75 in x 3.9 in (7 cm x 10 cm)
    Pump Length
    5.5 in (14 cm)
    Tube Length/ Pre-Filter Length
    35.8 in/ 3.1 in (91 cm/ 8 cm)
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

Default water treatment

I recommend the Katadyn hiker pro it's light or lighter than others, very durable, and great tasting water. I had the worst luck with MSR filters. I also used Iodine tablets for as long as two -three weeks while waiting for a replacement filter and carreid them as an emergency back-up. I also met several people who just drank right from the source-but I think its risky.
    Best water source I ever seen on the trail was near the Black Gap Shelter (approach trail from Amicalola Falls SP) It was about a 200 yd down hill walk but the water was gushing right out of the side of the Mtn. I did filter but it was by far the best spring water I have ever tasted!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++