WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default were do the whites start and end

were do the whites in nh start and end,i will be in gorham next tuesday evening,i will hike south to kinsman notch neo

In this part of New Hampshire, Neo, most folks consider Mt. Moosilauke the real start of the Whites, and they effectively continue to the Maine border.

Hey Neo, me and Kerosene are hiking north from Glencliff for 8 or 9 days starting this sat. We're trying to get to Gorham but we'll see how far we go. DebW is going to the Moose with us. I'm bringing this big ol' horse by the name of Stumpknocker up with me, IF I can get him in my car. He's hiking south from Glencliff to Catawba. I'll be about 4 hrs behind Kerosene. I hope that we can run into you and say "howdie".
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Neo & Jack,
    I think, maybe Weary would know for sure, that the Mahoosuc Range is technically considered part of the Whites.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default good question Neo and thanks for the answers guys

i'm hoping to spend 3 weeks next September/October between Glencliff and Gorham so any and all info is appreciated. I wrote the AMC hut folks asking if it is possible to hike from hut to hut with reservations but go no answer...
    Start out slow, then slow down.

I believe a lot of the huts start shutting down for the season at the end of next week. The AMC site has a lot of info.

I take that back, only Lake of the Clouds and Madison Springs are shutting down at the end of next week. The others appear to be open in some fashion to the mid or end of Oct. Sorry.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

You can certainly make reservations and hike between huts. I've heard that you can also have a hut radio ahead to the next hut to reserve you space. Can't wait to find out next week!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Default Kerosene

i hate to re-invent the wheel so detailed notes of your section hike would be every so swwwwwwweeeeeeeeettttttttt.

Neo, Hikerhead, & Kerosene,

Enjoy your hike! My brother and are doing Hanover to Kinsman the first week of October, so we will not be running into you. Any details you can share on the weather or huts at this time of year will be interesting to us as we plan to continue north from Kinsman next fall.

Neo, make sure your hammock is secure when you tie off between those cairns!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Will do,MedicineMan and Tin Man. I'll post a summary of my journal here and send you an e-mail with full pictures. I'm s-l-o-w-l-y trying to get everything onto Trailjournals, but I've got 20 years of hikes to enter.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan
    i'm hoping to spend 3 weeks next September/October between Glencliff and Gorham so any and all info is appreciated. I wrote the AMC hut folks asking if it is possible to hike from hut to hut with reservations but go no answer...
    i will take as many hammock hanging pictures as possible neo

Images

Default neo, got your message

good luck man! and def. use the neotarp on the trip so the pictures will rule

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man
    Neo, Hikerhead, & Kerosene,

Enjoy your hike! My brother and are doing Hanover to Kinsman the first week of October, so we will not be running into you. Any details you can share on the weather or huts at this time of year will be interesting to us as we plan to continue north from Kinsman next fall.

Neo, make sure your hammock is secure when you tie off between those cairns!
    have great hike neo

Images

Neo, try to get some other pics, too, besides all the hammock shots! Have fun. Wish I was there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead
    Hey Neo, me and Kerosene are hiking north from Glencliff for 8 or 9 days starting this sat. We're trying to get to Gorham but we'll see how far we go. DebW is going to the Moose with us. I'm bringing this big ol' horse by the name of Stumpknocker up with me, IF I can get him in my car. He's hiking south from Glencliff to Catawba. I'll be about 4 hrs behind Kerosene. I hope that we can run into you and say "howdie".

i hope i get to meet you two,hope you have a great hike neo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    were do the whites in nh start and end,i will be in gorham next tuesday evening,i will hike south to kinsman notch neo
    i just looked at a map of nh,it look like the white mountain national forrest starts slightly south of glenciff to gorham neo

Neo asked where the Whites start and end but I think he actually wanted to know what parts of his up-coming trip are in the Whites. Where Neo is going is from Gorham to Kinsman Notch, essentially all of his trip is in the Whites, with a few exceptions.

To answer Neo's and some other's questions, the Whites do extend into Maine but you leave the Whites just before you cross RT-2 in Shelbourne, NH and head north toward the Mahoosucs, so there is about 27 miles of the A.T. from RT-2 through the Mahoosucs in New Hampshire that isn't in the WMNF but was James River Paper Company land.

The AMC owns 1 acre of land, I believe at Madison Hut, the other huts are on land they lease from the WMNF. There is also the summit of Mount Washington that is a state park as well as a few miles in Crawford Notch and Franconia Notch State Parks. Interestingly, Dartmouth College owns a large chunk of land kind of south and east of the summit of Mt. Moosilauke so you actually can be hiking on college land and not be in Hanover. Parts of Glencliff are outside the WMNF and hiking northbound you enter the Whites around RT-25C, west of Glencliff.

Probably a more pertinent question would be where northbound in New Hampshire does the hiking get rough, which is what most people associate with the Whites. I certainly would include the climb up Smarts Mountain to be an eye-opener.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan
    good luck man! and def. use the neotarp on the trip so the pictures will rule
    i will carry my 9x9 camo tarp
    and my camo hammock with no netting,
    and my jetboil with camo cozk
    and picture of hillary clinton in camo neo

NE AT 733 of 733 miles & Long Trail End-to-End Tramper Al's Avatar
    Images

Default Boundaries and Mountains

Hey,

The White Mountains (and even the place name) are a lot older than any National Forest Boundary. I mean if people asked you about the extent of the Appalachian Mountain Range, no property line or political boundaries would affect your answer, right? You might even start talking about Newfoundland or Ireland, yes? Of course it depends on what neo was really after, but the White Mountains as a mountain range go well into Maine with the AT. I have always put the line at Grafton Notch, but some may go a bit further even.
    - Tramper Al

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++