WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Homemade VS Store Stove

Besides cost what are the advantages and disadvantages to making your own alcohol stove. Anyone here bought one and made one? What do you like more and why?

Thanks

Images

Homemade. But I sell homemade stoves so you can get the best of both worlds LOL.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

That's funny. I'll keep that in mind. HaHa

Default Homemade VS Store Stove

Are you asking out of curiosity, or trying to decide which you want?
    I used a small Coleman gas stove way back. Instant startup, hot, efficient enough for my needs. Before that I made small wood fires. About 3 years ago I built my first alcohol stove, a basic Pepsi stove. Took about 15 seconds for full startup, maybe not quite as hot burning as the gas but more than enough for hiking use, and more efficient considering weight and bulk. Since then I have made and used many different alky stoves. I still like to tinker with them, trying to improve them, trying different designs, etc. At this point I don't see myself going back to gas.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I own and use a Trangia alcohol stove and I have both made and bought some of the beer/soda can style ones. The home made stoves worked but not as well as my Trangia and were much more fragile. I've used the same Trangia burner now since 1999 and it works as well today as it did when I purchased it. The Trangia went all the way to Katahdin with me in 2003.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Our Trangia is awful (think we got a dud or something). We need to talk to the outfitter about it sometime, but burns up alcohol like crazy and creates these huge orange plumes (I have a photo of it on my Trail Journal where it says "Skipper all aflame"). The guy at Anti Gravity said there was something wrong. My son got a stove made for him by Tinker at Trail Days and it's great so far. It is more fragile but it burned much more cleanly and used less fuel.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Just an outsiders observation. Homemade stoves are a gateway obsession. You'll soon find yourself out of sight in the garage, tinsnips in hand, carving up beer cans. Then you'll be stopping at Lowe's after work, wandering the aisles, looking for fiberglass. But it doesn't stop there. By "chance" you'll pull over to a yard sale and you'll see a sewing machine. "Hey, I could make a hat or a neck gaitor " Pretty soon you're dropping into the Wal-mart after Lowe's, looking for silnylon on clearance. I've seen wild-eyed folks like this, stroking every piece of fabric in the sewing department. When the sewing club starts looking attractive...Watch out! They're a cult! Don't do it! Don't be caught in the homewrecking spiral of DYI Gear. SAVE YOURSELF! BUY A PREMADE!
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

[quote=Blissful]Our Trangia is awful (think we got a dud or something). We need to talk to the outfitter about it sometime, but burns up alcohol like crazy and creates these huge orange plumes (I have a photo of it on my Trail Journal where it says "Skipper all aflame").
    =================================

Wow ...sorry to hear that Blissful. We own 2 Trangia burners because my wife and I somtimes hike solo and always carry our own stoves. That said ...both of our Trangias work extremely well.

Might not be the burner per se that is causing the orange flames and excess consumption. Curious what type of stove/pot stand you're using and what sort of windscreen. In order to get maximum efficiency out of the Trangia I have noticed that the burner works best if it is off the ground and has plenty of ventillation from beneath. Do you smell a lot of fuel fumes when it's burning ?? That would be one sign that you don't have enough ventillation.

'Slogger

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    Don't be caught in the homewrecking spiral of DYI Gear.
    DYI gear = Do Yourself In. Fitting appraisal.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    . . . Curious what type of stove/pot stand you're using and what sort of windscreen. In order to get maximum efficiency out of the Trangia I have noticed that the burner works best if it is off the ground and has plenty of ventillation from beneath. Do you smell a lot of fuel fumes when it's burning ?? That would be one sign that you don't have enough ventillation.

'Slogger
    And fuel? Using a good grade of denatured alcohol?

...Watch out! They're a cult! Don't do it! Don't be caught in the homewrecking spiral of DYI Gear. SAVE YOURSELF! BUY A PREMADE!
    I confess: I am a homemadegearaholic. It started innocently enough with a coke can. I tried one; then another. I tried cat food cans, chicken cans, olive cans, tomato paste cans. Before you know it, I was trying steel can twig stoves. Then things got serious- I bought a dehydrator! I dried fruits. Vegetables. Made beef jerky. Made my own meals.

Alas- I went hardcore: I learned to sew!! Backpacking quilt. Hammock. Tarp. Underquilt. Searching through WalMart and Ebay for fabric.

If you buy an alcohol stove, you will HAVE an alcohol stove.
    If you make an alcohol stove, you may develop an ADDICTION

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful
    Our Trangia is awful (think we got a dud or something). We need to talk to the outfitter about it sometime, but burns up alcohol like crazy and creates these huge orange plumes (I have a photo of it on my Trail Journal where it says "Skipper all aflame").
    =================================

Might not be the burner per se that is causing the orange flames and excess consumption. Curious what type of stove/pot stand you're using and what sort of windscreen. In order to get maximum efficiency out of the Trangia I have noticed that the burner works best if it is off the ground and has plenty of ventillation from beneath. Do you smell a lot of fuel fumes when it's burning ?? That would be one sign that you don't have enough ventillation.

'Slogger
    Yeah, the Anitgravity guy said it was likely a ventilation problem. I don't think ours came with a stand. Do you just make one or what? Got a pic on how to make one? Or maybe we can just use the chicken wire / fencing type stuff Tinker used when he made the beer can one. Not sure exactly what it is. And we finally figured out we needed a windscreen a while back. Like duh. The alcohol we got I think came from Lowes.

We also have a lot of this silver foam insulation stuff that is wrapped around frozen products when shipped in the mail. My son made a pot cozy with it and that helps cut the cooking time and saves fuel.

Hiking Blog

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo
    Besides cost what are the advantages and disadvantages to making your own alcohol stove. Anyone here bought one and made one? What do you like more and why?

Thanks
    There are tons of ppl here at WB who own both a store bought and homeade stove, myself included. I prefer my Coleman Peak 1, but have an alcohol stove ( SGT Rock's Ion stove ), that I also love.
    I tend to use my Coleman when camping and on longer hikes when I dont want to deal with Denat. If I am hiking a weekend, I prefer my Al stove since it's smaller and fits in my day pack better.

Be warned, making alcohol stove can be VERY addictive. I now live on streets, collecting cans to feed my addiction. Do it yourself kit for $20? J/K.
    You are in heaven.

Images

[quote=Blissful]. Do you just make one or what? Got a pic on how to make one?
    ======================================

I have the "Westwind" stand. Came with the Trangia burner. I drilled it full of 1/4" holes to lighten it up a bit and modified the edges so that it would support a windscreen made out of aluminum flashing. The winscreen rests on the stand about 1/2" or so off the ground and allows for excellent ventillation while still keeping the wind away from the flame.

Here's a link to a website that shows the stand:

http://www.campsaver.com/product.php?pid=327497

You might be able to buy the stand only ??

'Slogger

Images

Just an outsiders observation. Homemade stoves are a gateway obsession. You'll soon find yourself out of sight in the garage, tinsnips in hand, carving up beer cans. Then you'll be stopping at Lowe's after work, wandering the aisles, looking for fiberglass. But it doesn't stop there. By "chance" you'll pull over to a yard sale and you'll see a sewing machine. "Hey, I could make a hat or a neck gaitor " Pretty soon you're dropping into the Wal-mart after Lowe's, looking for silnylon on clearance. I've seen wild-eyed folks like this, stroking every piece of fabric in the sewing department. When the sewing club starts looking attractive...Watch out! They're a cult! Don't do it! Don't be caught in the homewrecking spiral of DYI Gear. SAVE YOURSELF! BUY A PREMADE!
    Outsider my a$$! Either you or a close relative of yours is an addict.

You speak the lingo.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Right at table height for bears in my hammock! speedy's Avatar

I've made dozens of alky stoves and have bought both multifuel and cannister stoves. Personally I love my canister stove (MSR pocket rocket). I can have a cup of hot chocolate or instant coffee ready in about one minute from the time I take the stove/pot/fuel out of the stuff sack. That kind of speed is worth the tiny insignificant weight penalty in my book, and I pack really light. Pretty much all I do is freezer bag stuff, so I don't ever have a need for it, but simmering is also much easier on a cannister stove. It can sometimes be dificult to judge just how much fuel you need with an alcohol stove. Leaving you with unburnt fuel in the stove and having to try to pour it back into the container or let it evaporate.

Out of all the stoves I made, my favorite by far is SGT Rock's Ion stove. I still take it for weekend trips in warm weather.

What I'd really like to know is if anyone has tried the BushBuddy stove. I really think that might be the ticket for a thru, but there's no way I'm paying $96 not being sure I'd like it.

Overall, I'd say alcohol stoves are a lot more fun to make than to take. speedy
    "i came to hike, not bail" neo

Our Trangia is awful (think we got a dud or something). We need to talk to the outfitter about it sometime, but burns up alcohol like crazy and creates these huge orange plumes (I have a photo of it on my Trail Journal where it says "Skipper all aflame"). The guy at Anti Gravity said there was something wrong. My son got a stove made for him by Tinker at Trail Days and it's great so far. It is more fragile but it burned much more cleanly and used less fuel.
    Must've been another Tinker.

I've only given one of my stoves away, to a Backpacker Forum user.

I make and use Supercat stoves. There isn't any reason to try anything else. It's lighter and more efficient than any homemade stove out there (and easier to make, if you make it my way - explained elsewhere on this site).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Maybe I am doing something wrong with my purchased homemade stoves (I have never mede one of my own) but I just do not see the attraction. Using Rock's ion stove as an example (sorry Sgt Rock - I do carry an ion in my daypack for emergency or if I want a warm snack) you have a large center hole and these little holes arounf the perimeter of the stove. Once it is lit, the flame just comes out of the big hole in the middle. What is the point of the little holes? I have the same experience with pepsi can stoves. Maybe a pressurized stove (penny style) is a better option, homemade or store bought.
    So be it.
    --John

Pressurized stoves often shoot the alcohol beyond the bottom of the pot to be burned on the way up the sides. A low pressure Supercat (with large burner holes) which you set your pot directly on, saving you the weight of a pot support, and more weight because you need a shorter windscreen, is currently the most efficient design I've seen.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

[quote=Footslogger]
    . Do you just make one or what? Got a pic on how to make one?
    ======================================

I have the "Westwind" stand. Came with the Trangia burner. I drilled it full of 1/4" holes to lighten it up a bit and modified the edges so that it would support a windscreen made out of aluminum flashing. The winscreen rests on the stand about 1/2" or so off the ground and allows for excellent ventillation while still keeping the wind away from the flame.

Here's a link to a website that shows the stand:

http://www.campsaver.com/product.php?pid=327497

You might be able to buy the stand only ??

'Slogger
    Shoot, it never came with the stand. Maybe we can make one. Thanks.

Hiking Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++