WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Default Proper use of Purell -- check the category this is in, please.

Some ppl have tried to post what they thought were helpful threads lately, only to be attacked relentlessly but fellow WBers. So, I am hesitant to even write this one, but here goes.... I really dont feel like getting into a pissing contest with anyone over this.

I did a day hike yesterday, took my laptop with me, my daypack, stove, a nice steak, potatooes, etc. and hiked up the FT.

When I got to where I wa going to have lunch, there was a family of four picnicing(?). We exchanged our helloes, and I went about making my meal.

I noticed that the kids hands were filthy, as were the parents, but they were just cooking and eating away, so I offered up my Purell to them.

I got that "Are you judging us" look, so I just tossed out a little thing about rotovirus, hanta, dysentery, etc. not so much in a shock ( as Slogger likes to say ) but in a more seasoned and informative tone. They accepted it, and took the Purell.

Maybe they were trying to be kind, but they used about a dime size dollop, wiped their palms together, and then wiped their hands on their pants.

But this scene reminded me of how often I see ppl on trails do the exact same thing, so.....

Purell works by the alcohol killing off any surface nasties, then as in dries, the copolymer dries over your skin like a thin plastic glove for added protection.

Nothing beats soap and water, but as we all know, that is hard to come by out in the woods when packing light. So just be sure you use it properly. Lots of threads lately about water filtration, disease, and sanitation. Lots of ppl have pointed out that its may not be so much the water source getting ppl sick as bad hygiene. I mostly agree with that.

So, before you eat, or after going to the bathroom use liberal amount of hand sanitizer, massage it around your entire hand, then let it air dry. You are now good to go. Dont wipe your hands on your pants, or only clean your palms, or smoke a cig or dube while doing this!
    Stay safe.
    You are in heaven.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

or smoke a cig or dube while doing this!
    LMAO

Good advice.

Images

Also, hand santizers are not meant to clean dirt or other organic material off your skin. If your hands are visibly dirty, wash them in water first to get the dirt off (doesn't have to be treated water) then use the sanitizer. A dime- to quarter-size drop is fine as long as you can cover your whole hand with it.

Section Hiker ~ 125 miles adh24's Avatar
    Images

I take extremely good care of my hands cause I wear contacts. When I take them out at night I go through a thurow cleansing process. Have gotten eye infections before, never on the trail, they aren't fun especially when you wake up in the morning to puss that has sealed your eye shut. I did an over nighter this past march and a day after I got back both eyes were mildly infected. It was cold and rainy when setting up camp and I had been whiping my runny nose with my hand all day while hiking. Didn't clean them good enough, took out my contacts and the rest is history.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Lies! All LIES!

Bacteria have already begun to build resistances to our anti-bacterial compounds. By using Purell and other sanitizers you're only contributing to this process. You cleanliness freaks are actually helping to create super-bugs that will infect us traditionalist "dirty" people. I will curse you from my deathbed when I have Arboreal Necrotizing Assitis. In the end we're all doomed!
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Images

this thread was started by a guy with his finger up his nose
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

umm...I said Arboreal Necrotizing Assitis, not Fascitis. It's very similar to the dreaded Simian Buttcrackius Inflammamatus, but with deadly consequences. Fascitis is a different boat entirely.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker
    But it's a Purelled finger!
    You are in heaven.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker
    LMAO.......

Section Hiker ~ 125 miles adh24's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amigi'sLastStand
    But it's a Purelled finger!
    "The Doctor said I wouldn't have so many nose bleeds if I kept my finger out of there."

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

It's much easier to just quit cleaning your house and hands and stop taking showers six months prior to your hiking. Build up a resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Newb
    umm...I said Arboreal Necrotizing Assitis, not Fascitis. It's very similar to the dreaded Simian Buttcrackius Inflammamatus, but with deadly consequences. Fascitis is a different boat entirely.
    Yep. And waking up to find that pus has sealed up your crack is even worse than losing an eye. Careful out there.

And at least Amigi's finger wasn't up someone else's nose, Purelled or snot.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose ...but you can't pick your friend's nose !!

Did someone say DOOBIE ??

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Lies! All LIES!

Bacteria have already begun to build resistances to our anti-bacterial compounds. By using Purell and other sanitizers you're only contributing to this process. You cleanliness freaks are actually helping to create super-bugs that will infect us traditionalist "dirty" people. I will curse you from my deathbed when I have Arboreal Necrotizing Assitis. In the end we're all doomed!
    Not quite.

Purell and waterless cleansers are not in the same chemical class as "antimicrobial" soaps.

Purell works by putting alcohol on your hand in a gel form. This is not something that microbiologists are concerned that bacteria will evolve resistance to. As already noted, however, it does not have the effectiveness one might hope when the hands are visibly coated in dirt. Purell won't hurt anything, but it won't make a manure-covered hand fit for work in the food service industry, either. The safest measures are to get as much visible filth off as possible, then use the Purell.

Antimicrobial soaps are another matter. Those contain compounds aimed more directly at bacteria. There have been some concern about those, but that is a topic for another thread.

At any rate, be careful who you curse. Sometimes you don't get the whole story, not even on your deathbed. But bless you for putting the common good over your own desire to avoid diarrhea. That's the spirit.

Lies! All LIES!
    Hrm...guess I better tell those pesky doctors to quit sanitizing w/ alcohol.

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

didn't someone say you have to eat a pound of dirt before you die?
    So be it.
    --John

Never heard that before. I'd guess it depends on what's in the first bite!

But even so, go eat a half pound of dirt and let us know how you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerjohnd
    didn't someone say you have to eat a pound of dirt before you die?
    My kids got that before preschool, with no signs of stopping.

When they were babies, they used to go trolling for little bits of food on the floor that the broom missed. We used to call the food bits "floor d'oeuvres".

If eating dirt is good for you, those kids might live forever. I don't quibble over the ten-second rule, but I still make them wash their hands before they eat. It's a mom thing.

Talking Where's my kid...

Has anyone seen my kid Ralphie? He's been hanging around with a undesirable crowd called the "Whiteblaze Gang". I don't know what he calls himself, but he is easy to recognize...he always has a finger up his nose!

Chief Wiggums

http://www.newszapforums.com/images/avatars/272.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++