WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Aqua Mira and a Platypus

I use and love platypus water bladders and was wondering what techniques you people us to filter out the "floaties" when making water with aqua mira.

I do not want to carry a pump so that is out.

I tried pouring the water from my pot through a bandana and it just took to long and most of the water did not go through anyways.

Another method I thought of would be to buy a small brass screen to place over the top of the platypus and dip it into the stream, thus filtering out alot of the floaties that way and not using a pot to dip water at all.

Any other suggestions?

While going through my coffee cup cabinet I found a small loose tea mesh ball and divided it in half. I then formed the mesh around the top of my platypus water hole and it fits pretty well. I have to hold the mesh over the hole, but that really is not that inconvenient.

Any other ideas?

I used a plastic cup to dip and pour off the floaties.. After treating I figured whatever was still left in there was dead.. so I just drank up! I didn't want to wait for filtering through a bandana.

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Coffee filter over the end of the plat. If you are careful, one can last a week or more.

"Get over it", lol. Too funny. Figures, he's from boston. Bout the only place worse on Earth is Kabul.
    You are in heaven.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

During the day I capture water in a 20 oz Gatorade bottle and can generally get what I need to re-fill my 1.8 Liter Platy without many floaties.

At night in the campsite I use a 4 Liter Platy (with handles) and sometimes just scoop water with that unless the supply is shallow. Sometimes I do end up with some stuff in the water but it settles to the bottom. I pour off what I need for boiling (dinner) and then generally treat the rest with Chlorine Dioxide tablets. In the morning I all the floaties are at the bottom and I just re-fill my 1.8 Liter Platy and Gatorade bottle and then dump the rest ...and away go the floaties.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I have a Nalgene and a Platy. I use a small strainer with my Nalgene soft bladder, it fits right inside the mouth. I like your idea of a small brass screen.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++