WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Treo

Lightbulb Treo

I noticed a few of the 2006 thrus used Treo devices this year. One couple used it for emails (in place of Pocketmail), phone AND a camera (and their pictures look really nice). The weight of the Treo is listed as 6.4 ounces. Of course there is always the issue of recharging, so one would have to either carry a recharger (unspecified additional weight) or bounce it ahead -- but this isn't any different than it would be for a cell phone.

Anyone considering this to shave some pack weight?

My husband and I just bought a Treo which we plan to use on our 2007 thru hike starting Feb 15. I followed Bone Pac's journal and he used one.
    We are Toesocks from Auburn Al.

Right at table height for bears in my hammock! speedy's Avatar

I know there's not a ton of sun, but I'd imagine you could find some every now and then. Solio makes solar chargers for cell phones including the treo. It weighs and addional 5.6 oz, but for that much funcitonality, I'd almost think it would be worth it. speedy
    "i came to hike, not bail" neo

Images

Default Treo with Bluetooth GPS

Quote Originally Posted by Toasty
    I noticed a few of the 2006 thrus used Treo devices this year. One couple used it for emails (in place of Pocketmail), phone AND a camera (and their pictures look really nice).
    Anyone considering this to shave some pack weight?
    I will be using my Treo on a weekend hike in GSMNP next month with a DeLorme BlueLogger GPS. I didn't know there are solar charging options available - I'd think that would make it very useful on a longer section or thru hike. I hadn't thought of using the phone at all. It's hard to tell what kind of cell coverage you can expect looking at providers websites, but I would think it would be spotty at best. Does anyone know if Sprint is available in Smoky Mtn.?

I realize that the southern portions might be a bit more ubanized than some others, but I don't think I've ever gone a day without hitting signal at least a few times with tmobile. speedy

Long Trail '04
    Images

I dig my Treo for a work device but the keypad is kinda small to type long emails on. Also, it doesn't take the best pix. You may want to bring a digital camera if you want great pictures, which I value highly.

You may do the trail once, but you'll look at the pix for years to come...

Quote Originally Posted by kgilby
    Does anyone know if Sprint is available in Smoky Mtn.?
    Thankfully - cell signals are weak or non-existant in GSMNP. There was a push to put towers in the park a few years ago - but it was beaten back.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

I'm for global cellphone coverage, but the towers can be pretty ugly. I don't understand why they don't just hide the towers. As of a few years ago when I was last there, Israel had something along the lines of 6 million people and almost 5 million cellphones, but never have I seen a tower there, and believe me, I always look. Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about this thread, and can't think of a better way to get online. I'd probably say take another camera for "real" pictures, but for online, a treo or mda should be fine. speedy

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I am not sure the way the treo or some other cell phones work. I recently got the LG 9800. It has a flip out key pad and internet access. At first I was going to take it along and use it to type up emails and a journal. I found a major drawback, you cannot compose emails unless you are online and get a signal. Other cell phones may be different, but I would definitly look into this when getting a phone.

The Treo did not work well for me in NC, Virginia or TN. It is quite a fragile piece of equipment due to the large screen. It runs the risk of being too many things added to one basket.

I'd suggest a real camera, a card reader or USB cable, or a plan to mail the memory card home periodically. Computers are available in trail towns. Paper and pencil are lots of fun for re-reading journals back home.

I found a major drawback, you cannot compose emails unless you are online and get a signal. Other cell phones may be different, but I would definitly look into this when getting a phone.
    That would be a major drawback vs Pocketmail.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    That would be a major drawback vs Pocketmail.
    Actually, just use the Treo's word processor when you decide to write an email. Then just copy and paste the email from the document to your email program when you find internet access.

++ New Posts ++