WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-12-2002
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    13,191

    Default Good News in Hanover

    Some good news in the local paper this morning: Advanced Transit, the local bus service that services Hanover and surrounding towns, just received two grants totalling 2.9 million dollars from the Federal Transit Administration. This means that bus service in the area will continue, and will be better than it already is.

    What it means to hikers is that it'll be easier to get to West Lebanon to shop (Eastern Mountain Sports, L.L. Bean, Wal-Mart, Borders Books, etc.) as well as to get to other places like White River Junction, which has some inexpensive motels, as well as Amtrak service.

    The main bus stop is on Main Street in front of the Dartmouth Bookstore; you can get free schedules inside. Hanover is also serviced by Peter Pan Bus and Greyhound; the stop is in front of the Hanover Inn, opposite the town Green.

  2. #2
    the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Join Date
    12-20-2005
    Location
    Belews Creek, NC
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,372
    Images
    44

    Default

    Grayhound, huh? Maybe I'll have to come visit!

    The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-12-2002
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    13,191

    Default

    Well, it's not exactly a large system.

    Half the money is to buy new buses; the rest isfor a maintenance facility.

    In any case, this system helps out a lot folks.....students, older folks, people without cars, and sometimes people who HAVE cars but find it more convenient or economical to take the bus.

    Oh, and it helps hikers a lot, too. Hanover is a great trail town, but at present there's no true outfitter, no cheap lodging, no laundromat, and the only supermarket is very expensive. The bus service gives hikers all sorts of options on these and other services.

  4. #4

    Default

    Is there bus service from the Lebanon Municipal Airport to Hanover? We plan to pick up a rental car at the airport, drop our car at Kinsman, return the rental at the airport and get a taxi ride to Hanover. This appeared cheaper than shuttle service and put us in control of our schedule. Other suggestions?

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-12-2002
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    13,191

    Default

    I'm not sure. There are two bus lines (Red and Blue) that service Lebanon but I'm not sure this includes the airport.

    Call their main office at (802) 295-1824 for more information.

    And remember, there is NO weekend service.

  6. #6

    Default

    Thanks Jack! We are going on a Saturday, so I guess we will stick to the taxi option.

  7. #7
    Registered User weary's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-15-2003
    Location
    Phippsburg, Maine, United States
    Posts
    10,115
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    ...Hanover is a great trail town, but at present there's no true outfitter, no cheap lodging, no laundromat, and the only supermarket is very expensive. ....
    Wow!!! what a truly great trail town. I wonder how I missed appreciating these great attributes.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-12-2002
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    13,191

    Default

    Nice try, Weary, but if you're gonna be snotty, get your facts right for once.

    When you hiked, there was FREE lodging at the college; there was an excellent Outfitter, the Dartmouth Co-Op; there was a fine laundromat; and there was an affordable supermarket, Grand Union.

    So if you missed these attributes while in town on your hike, perhaps it was because your head was lodged in its customary place during your visit.

    And Hanover is STILL a great Trail town, Weary, and is extremely popular with hikers despite the changes in the kinds of services available. If you actually knew more about the contemporary Trail than you pretend to, you'd be aware of this.

  9. #9
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    7,126
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    It's the best kind of Trail town-- one you actually walk through.

    Like Monson used to be, and Harpers Ferry has come to be (so I have heard).

  10. #10
    Registered User weary's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-15-2003
    Location
    Phippsburg, Maine, United States
    Posts
    10,115
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Nice try, Weary, but if you're gonna be snotty, get your facts right for once.

    When you hiked, there was FREE lodging at the college; there was an excellent Outfitter, the Dartmouth Co-Op; there was a fine laundromat; and there was an affordable supermarket, Grand Union.

    So if you missed these attributes while in town on your hike, perhaps it was because your head was lodged in its customary place during your visit.

    And Hanover is STILL a great Trail town, Weary, and is extremely popular with hikers despite the changes in the kinds of services available. If you actually knew more about the contemporary Trail than you pretend to, you'd be aware of this.
    Jack: I wasn't thinking of 1993. I've been in Hanover many times since then, most recently last summer.

  11. #11

    Default Great trail town

    I agree. We ended our section last year at the coffee shop on the corner across from the college. They were only too happy to deliver our danish and coffee at a table out front. We sat and enjoyed the scene and the town folks who were friendly and stopped to chat. I believe we were there the Friday of the ALDHA (?) gathering. We chatted a bit with a young thru-hiker who had just finished a week or so earlier and came to join the gathering. Beautiful town, beautiful people. Only wish we could have hung around and run into Jack to say hello or buy him a beer.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-12-2002
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    13,191

    Default

    So what. Your post #8 was still ignorant and snotty.

    The thread was about bus service, Weary. And that's all it was about. If you're gonna take your usual piss in the pool and get us flying off topic, please do it on another thread. Your act's getting cold.

  13. #13
    Registered User weary's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-15-2003
    Location
    Phippsburg, Maine, United States
    Posts
    10,115
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    So what. Your post #8 was still ignorant and snotty.
    The thread was about bus service, Weary. And that's all it was about. If you're gonna take your usual piss in the pool and get us flying off topic, please do it on another thread. Your act's getting cold.
    Smile, Jack. Smile occasionally.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-12-2002
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    13,191

    Default

    Actually, I smile a great deal.

    And I crack up often, too.

    Frequently, Weary, it's after reading one of your posts.

    'night.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-16-2005
    Location
    Land of Pagosah
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    I knew the Grand Union was gone, but the co-op too!

    The times, they are a changin...

    I'll always love Hanover, too many good memories.

    The Trail.... the towns, are what you make them.

    Thanks for the update Jack!

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    62
    Posts
    31,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Well, it's not exactly a large system.

    Half the money is to buy new buses; the rest isfor a maintenance facility.

    In any case, this system helps out a lot folks.....students, older folks, people without cars, and sometimes people who HAVE cars but find it more convenient or economical to take the bus.

    Oh, and it helps hikers a lot, too. Hanover is a great trail town, but at present there's no true outfitter, no cheap lodging, no laundromat, and the only supermarket is very expensive. The bus service gives hikers all sorts of options on these and other services.
    It's a lousy trail town for the reasons you listed above.

  17. #17
    Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-25-2005
    Location
    Frolicking elsewhere
    Posts
    12,398
    Images
    15

    Default

    Congrats to Hanover's public transportation for landing the grant.

    I'm going to have to go with L. Wolf - Hanover doesn't sound like the best trail town. However, if the public transportation is adequate to get to and from the trail to West Lebanon (a town with the services hikers need), West Lebanon may be an adequate place to resupply and get new gear. With 35 hotels, I imagine some sort of inexpensive lodging exist there. Also, with Dartmouth in Hanover, I'd say a hiker wouldn't have too much trouble finding someone willing to let him / her crash on the floor and take a shower. And then there's the Tarlin Inn for friends of Jack

  18. #18

    Default

    I love trail towns that the trail actually goes through.

    And if Thayer Hall still serves hikers, I'd gladly overlook all the other shortcomings, perceived and otherwise. I took an extra day in Hanover just to eat.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-16-2005
    Location
    Land of Pagosah
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by max patch
    I love trail towns that the trail actually goes through.
    Enjoy them while you can. I believe the ATC feels differently.

  20. #20
    Hug a Trail volunteer StarLyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-22-2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    2,109
    Images
    1089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderfoot
    Grayhound, huh? Maybe I'll have to come visit!
    No you won't Wonder.....I'm picking you up next year on my way there

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •