WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Where are the 06 SOBO'S?

Does anyone know the whereabouts on the 06 SOBO's?

Assuming the early ones started in June, I'd say some are as far ahead as North Central Virginia, with the majority being spread out between Shenandoah National Park and New Jersey. (And some are much further back; a few just left Hanover a few days ago).

Lawnchair and Dr. Cords (Curtis?) left June 1. They were in the SNP over Labor Day. Someone else here on WB saw them near Partnership Shelter last weekend, I think.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Damn. If they were in SNP over Labor Day, and at Partnership last weekend, that's over 325 miles in around five days.

Very impressive mileage.

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Damn. If they were in SNP over Labor Day, and at Partnership last weekend, that's over 325 miles in around five days.

Very impressive mileage.
    65 miles a day? No problem. I could do it.

In an ATV.
    You are in heaven.

Images

How many miles a day can SOBO's do Aqua blazing (upstream)?

If they can canoe 65 miles a day, upstream, they shouldn't be on the AT, they should be rowing in the Olympics.

SOBO's don't aquablaze mainly because they don't know what aquablazing is and have never heard of aquablazing. (im serious!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin

Very impressive mileage.
    Good grief! I had no idea it was that far. I must have the shelter name wrong.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake
    SOBO's don't aquablaze mainly because they don't know what aquablazing is and have never heard of aquablazing. (im serious!)
    Ok, I'll bite. What the heck is aquablazing?

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer

I don't know!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer

I don't know!!!!

"Aquablazing" refers to knocking down the miles by travelling by boat instead of hiking.

On the A.T., it is most frequently done by canoeing from Waynesboro to Front Royal instead of hiking through Shenandoah National Park, tho I know of folks who've done it on the Hudson!

how do you even set that up while you are hiking??

It's pretty easy to get the information, either at the Outfitter or elsewhere in town. The cost depends on the size of the party involved and number of boats required. Most folks who do this seem to enjoy it, but I'd rather hike the Park.

Gee, I have aquablazed on the Hudson River and didn't even know I was doing it.

Images

Not to interrupt this acquablazing discussion, or anything...

I'm hiking SOBO and I'm in Kent, CT, at a friend's house. The main group of SOBOs I started with in early July are 5-10 days ahead of me now, according to their register entries. There are still some within a few miles of me, and some behind.

It's supposed to rain again today, dammit.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I ran into two SOBO's in Duncannon on Tuesday 12, evening. I hiked with another SOBO, Stretch, for a few days. He was passing through Caledonia State Park on Tueday 12th.

Images

Default SOBO Flip Flopper just starting in ME

I will go to Baxter SP tomarro and start my Flip Flop hike to Kent, CT. Looking worward to walking with the leaves turning. Things are just getting started up here. I think in about three weeks the leaves will be in full color. Hope to make it to Kent around Holloween. Safe travels too all.

Bloomer 06

Heinz left Monson heading south Sept 10th, and a southbounder was at Katahdin Stream on the 11th. Don't think either were flippers.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++