WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: cook pot

Gettin Lighter..All the Time!!! Biloxi's Avatar

Smile cook pot

hey..has anyone tried useing one of the folgers coffee cans as a pot..I had a chance to try it @ home its 1 of the 34.5oz..took the label off washed it out ..put water in threw it on the stove ..worked like a charm..cooled right down, didnt appear to discolor it or anything? it is very light..havent weighed it yet but, was wondering if anyone else had tried it

I started out with a coffee can but replaced it with a MSR Titan kettle at Neil's Gap because food really sticks to the inside of the coffee can and those horizontal ridges make it hard to clean out. Got some Liptons burned on it and couldn't get it out. Didn't like having to pay $40 for a little pot!

If I had to do it over again I would get a grease pot from Kmart. The ones at Kmart have the lip rolled out instead of in like the ones at Walmart.

The coffee can would be fine for a short trip but it's a PIA for a thru-hike.

The thing you'll find with using most disposable containers as cookware is the inner coating doesn't last long. When I used a big soup can it flaked off, got in my food and the can started rusting. No good.

For a cheap pot I use a 1 liter aluminum bowl I found at Goodwill with a piece of folded up aluminum foil as a lid. Some WalMart stores have a very light one liter "grease pot." I think it's designed to be kept on your stove at home to put bacon grease and the like into, but it makes a dandy backpacking pot.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Donjuan70
    hey..has anyone tried useing one of the folgers coffee cans as a pot..I had a chance to try it @ home its 1 of the 34.5oz..took the label off washed it out ..put water in threw it on the stove ..worked like a charm..cooled right down, didnt appear to discolor it or anything? it is very light..havent weighed it yet but, was wondering if anyone else had tried it
    Donjuan, An 11 oz coffee can weighs just over 3 ounces with no lid.I suspect the 34.5 oz will go more than twice that.

The 11 oz. can holds a liter if filled to the brim but 28- 30 oz. is more realistic for boiling. I imagine it would work fine for just boiling water and adding to a freezer bag or cozy. It's a bit small in diameter to cook in, IMO.

Remember what Sgt. Rock says: "If it's ugly but it works, then it's not ugly".

Or something like that.

The bonus is that it's basically free if you drink the coffee anyway.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

++ New Posts ++