WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Not even close and I meant to to say so earlier. Click on timber rattlesnakes below for some photos. There are better photos available in WhiteBlaze's gallery and elsewhere. I would like to call to the attention of readers a timber rattlesnake image from WhiteBlaze's gallery which illustrates both yellow and black color phases. If only a tighter shot existed of the snakes, I'd take the time to crop and enhance it!

My copperheads link with good photos provided by Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) below couldn't be better suited for the purpose.

All Appalachian Trail hikers should know how to identify timber rattlesnakes and copperheads. Both are protected species in Pennsylvania. It is unlawful to hunt, take, catch, or kill timber rattlesnakes encountered on the A.T. where there is no open season. Unless hikers have a permit issued by PFBC, they have no business doing anything with copperheads either other than looking at them.

rattlers tend to be denning animals, so if you come across one, be on the lookout for more nearby.

Journal Entries
    Images

Once upon a time, I saw a radiograph (standard Xray) of a snake...that had swallowed lightbulbs. In response to snakes getting into your chicken coop and causing loss of eggs - the "farmer" of this case allowed a bed of old light bulbs in the coop for the snake to enjoy.

I'm not saying it would be something I would do. I'm just saying, in response to the person who mentioned having snakes in their chicken coop - this is a pretty safe way of ridding yourself of a snake without getting close.

Killing snakes out on the trail is awful. I agree with those who were appalled by the "troop leader" who went out and needlessly killed a nest of snakes. I hope his pack/tent is chewed up by mice.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think this should be shared:

BABY snakes have less ability to withhold/save their venom with their strikes. So if you think a BABY snake can't bite you - wrong - they WILL and when they DO, you won't likely be the 1 in 4 who have bite+venom after an ADULT snake bite. Snakes don't want to pump you through of venom, they would much rather save it for a mouse.

They may be smaller, but they're just as dangerous.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++