WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Many deep creek/stream crossings?

Are there many deep water crossings on a thru-hike? I know the trail is very well maintained, and figured every crossing may have a bridge or a way to avoid the water. I'm not sure that I prefer this, but would like to know if I should plan on having some sort of water shoes with me like Crocs so that I dont have to get shoes soaked or walk across barefoot.

There ain't many. Most are in Maine, The way life should be! Be sure to ford the Kennebec. The most feared, least forded creek in America.

No. Please don't try to ford the Kennebec. Use the ferry.
    The Kennebec is about 50-70 yards wide with little ripples that indicate shallow water. It LOOKS like the kind of stream you can wade, maybe up to your butt and ,unless you slip, get out dry.
    BUT a hydroelectric dam upstream generates on demand and at unscheduled intervals releases LOTS of water.
    Suddenly the Kennebec is not the kind of river you can wade into and walk out of safely. It is the other kind.

The ATC keeps a ferryman who will paddle you across in an attempt to reduce drownings. Please use the service.

A hiker stands on the river bank and yells, "Can you take me to the other side??!!" The ferryman yells back, "You ARE on the other side!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Spock
    The Kennebec is about 50-70 yards wide with little ripples that indicate shallow water. It LOOKS like the kind of stream you can wade, maybe up to your butt and ,unless you slip, get out dry.
    BUT a hydroelectric dam upstream generates on demand and at unscheduled intervals releases LOTS of water.
    Suddenly the Kennebec is not the kind of river you can wade into and walk out of safely. It is the other kind.

The ATC keeps a ferryman who will paddle you across in an attempt to reduce drownings. Please use the service.

A hiker stands on the river bank and yells, "Can you take me to the other side??!!" The ferryman yells back, "You ARE on the other side!!"
    Why am I having visions of the river Styx?

Some of this depends on the weather. Heavy rains will turn many little no name streams into some pretty wild whitewater. Experienced it first hand in Vermont.

Of course it works both ways, with the exception of Vermont, I rock hopped all but two of the streams I expected to ford. I got lucky.

Crocs are handy, but in really wet weather you just wear your boots through the water. They're already soaking wet anyway. At least that's what most everyone I knew did.

Record rains in PA this year made the whole trail look like this for days

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...?i=12115&c=520
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...0/312fd549.jpg

walking in the same wet boots and socks for several days can make your feet look like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...010/007_4A.jpg

Having water shoes in Maine in dry weather is usefull, but I agree with Krewzer in really we weather you just have to bite the bullet and walk through it, or 0

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post

Spock speaks like he knows what can happen unexpectedly. If you don't know this river and it's ups and downs time schedule, then don't take the chance fording it. Use the sanctioned AT ferry service, it could save your life or a terrifying swim. You can't ford this river faster than the river can rise 2 feet.

Paronoia big destroyer. 7:00 AM Kennebec is mild.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Paronoia big destroyer.
    You are so Kinky - big boy.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

. 7:00 AM Kennebec is mild.
    Unless there happens to be an unscheduled release or heavy rain.

Thru' hiker one weekend at a time... vipahman's Avatar
    Images

I didn't realize I was on the wading website.
    -Avi
    AT completed: NJ6-1, NY13-2, CT5-2

Quote Originally Posted by vipahman View Post
    I didn't realize I was on the wading website.
    This is the nude hiking website.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    You are so Kinky - big boy.
    I'm too sexy for my waders.

It's easy and fun. Just ford.

Only nude fording allowed, clothed forders will be prosecuted and brought to justice.

ferry? we dont need no stinkin ferry. when the fear of wading by erica jong was on the bestsellers list,.. i used to think there were gaurds on the banks to stop crossings . like the rio grand.i was allways thinking i would have to stelth cross. if you die crossing in the boat ,.. that'l teach ya.
    matthewski

Warren Doyle and me have forded the Kennebec more than any AT hikers in history.

Warren Doyle and me have forded the Kennebec more than any AT hikers in history.
    Me took the ferry.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

If it's raining in the Smoky's you'll be walking in a creek for 70+ miles.....now that's fun!!!
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    ferry? we dont need no stinkin ferry. . if you die crossing in the boat ,.. that'l teach ya.
    And if you die from drowning cause the river suddenly rises, that'l teach ya once and fer all. Your odds of surviving the crossing using the ferry are 100%. Your odds of surviving fording remains to be seen, depending on the rath of the river. I doubt Mweinstone has ever seen in it's fury.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++