WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Hiker was almost dead.

And he's not much better.This was a topic over on www.ViewsFromTheTop.com, and I asked if there was an update concerning the hiker. From VFTT member Breeze:"the 23 year old hiker is in Elliot Hospital in Manchester NH. He was ambulanced to Berlin (Androscoggin Valley Hospital) from the base of the Auto Road.Core temperature ~ 90 degrees F at Androscoggin Valley Hospital in Berlin, he was helo'd outbound. Dartmouth-Hitchcock couldn't accept him because their ICU was full, thence diverted to Manchester. Pupils fixed, dilated, and nonresponsive on exam by the EMT-A-WFR at first contact, 11:30 PM. Estimated duration of hypoxia x 2 hours. EMT-A-WFR on scene opined that there could easily have been four fatalities out of that situation, survival of the most severely affected will be a huge financial and emotional burden to his family and friends."
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    that is a very interesting story, thanks for the link.
    There is no really good hiking and outdoors magazine that I've seen. But Outdoors, is by far the best written, and the most enterprising.

Weary

Outdoors does have great writing, especially Krakauer. Up until this last April, i was on an airplane traveling every week and bought them all to read in airports and on planes and I could find something to read and enjoy in every one of them. None of them are perfect, but anything is better than nothing on a 3 hour delay...

Quote Originally Posted by Tamarack View Post
    ...Being one who has had hypothermia, ...

The proud patriotic Canadian who's working in the States temp to get experience till the nursing shortage finally migrates north.
    Over a period of 10 years of hiking and climbing in the Adirondacks and Whites, I've notced, nearly without exception, that the Quebekers I've met have been quite indisposed to displays of humility of any kind. The mountains take the arrogant.

This gang are Darwin Award candidates. Examples for the rest of us -- cautionary tale.

Nevertheless, I hope the hiker lives.

~peace.
    Darwin.

But I've got to add, in all fairness, that the Canadians (not Quebeckers) I've met on the AT have also been some of the nicest, friendliest, etc...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Outdoors does have great writing, especially Krakauer. Up until this last April, i was on an airplane traveling every week and bought them all to read in airports and on planes and I could find something to read and enjoy in every one of them. None of them are perfect, but anything is better than nothing on a 3 hour delay...
    "Outdoors" is a hunting & Fishing magazine. Krakauer used to freelance for "Outside" magazine. i used to love reading outside, but i stopped buying it b/c it seems everytime i go to get one, the cover story is "top ten island getaways" or something of the like.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++