WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tricks for chafing...

of the nuts?
    Last edited by mdionne; 09-26-2006 at 22:51. Reason: t'was a question

1) Stay as clean as possible in the areas that chafe. I use a collapsible (sp??) bucket, well away from water source.
    2) Some type of lubricant like Body Glide.
    3) When it rains wear a skirt (kilt if you are not macho enough to wear a skirt). You do not need a wet diaper of material between your legs.

Images

A+D Ointment (the medicated kind)

lubes and heals at the same time.
    Last edited by the goat; 09-26-2006 at 23:28. Reason: sppellingg
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default prevention too

i carry a small film canister with cotton balls soaked in alcohol, at night before sleep i'll wash the crotch and pits wiht a cotton ball.....in the morning i use gold bond powder and reapply maybe after lunch....this prevents for me.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

You get used to it after a while and your body adjusts.

Default Chafing Tricks

Try Bag Balm....it's used for cows udders. It's great stuff for chafing.

Unscented baby wipes and Body Glide - no undies, loose shorts.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Oh, yeah, loose shorts with fairly long legs.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

sidestep to avoid chafing.

i swear by body glide

I use Witch Hazel at night and corn starch for day time. Cheapest dryest way to avoid/treat problem. Look at any powder the active ing. is corn starch. BTW anyone know where and how corn starch is produced?
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Images

NO COTTON UNDERWEAR. That's the most important thing.

I like to wear tight fitting shorts. Golite makes two shorts that work, one Compression short and one looser, but still fairly close-fitting. (Stride shorts and Terrain shorts.) The idea is that the nylon rubs against itself, rather than having your skin rub. These shorts have mesh liners, so I don't need to wear or carry underwear, and they weigh about 4 oz.

For me, loose fitting shorts just make the problem worse. I can't imagine wearing a kilt, but I know that some hikers are happy with them.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrc237 View Post
    I use Witch Hazel at night and corn starch for day time. Cheapest dryest way to avoid/treat problem. Look at any powder the active ing. is corn starch. BTW anyone know where and how corn starch is produced?
    Byproduct of making whiskey?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    NO COTTON UNDERWEAR. That's the most important thing.

I like to wear tight fitting shorts. Golite makes two shorts that work, one Compression short and one looser, but still fairly close-fitting. (Stride shorts and Terrain shorts.) The idea is that the nylon rubs against itself, rather than having your skin rub. These shorts have mesh liners, so I don't need to wear or carry underwear, and they weigh about 4 oz.

For me, loose fitting shorts just make the problem worse. I can't imagine wearing a kilt, but I know that some hikers are happy with them.
    x2...I also carry a small container of baby powder...works like a champ for me. Oh, and I own a kilt, but it's the wool (expensive!) type...much too heavy & nice for hiking, but I'd hike in one if I could find a microfiber kilt

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Baby powder works fine.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

2005 Camino de santiago

Smile stretch boxers

stretch boxers, shorter version of the stretch shorts cyclists use, made of something like lycra and poly. Wearing them while walking you now rub slick material against slick material instead of sweaty thigh against sweaty thigh. Get them in black. Get them from Asics, which is what I use, because they are so light, or anymajor company selling running shoes, etc, or good clothing items. Ex Oficio makes one but it is heavier and the legs are longer, which means they may stick out beyond your hiking shorts..

This way you forget having to lug around the oils, balms, creams, body glide, etc., to deal with the affliction after you get it. With these runner's tight boxers you eliminate the chaffing before it can develop. It sure works for me. And I sure hate the chaffing of those nether regions. I almost stops most forward motion. But to cure it once you have it...wash well, apply zinc oxide ointment and it is gone next day

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Body Glide works well to prevent chafing, although I'm looking into Hydropel.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

2005 Camino de santiago

Default bodyglide

my only objection to something like an oilish bodyglide on a long distance hike (or even a short one) is that if you apply it each morning to your upper thighs before hiking, it would seem to become a very unsanitary place after a number of days hiking and applying it without having the opportunity of washing it off. It must even accumulate upon ones cloths in that area as well and has to begin breeding the 'nastys' until it all can be washed. I think body glide must have been designed for the runner who could come home and shower and put on clean clothes each night, a luxury the long distance hiker may not always have. It does burn if you do put it on after your chafing develops, though. For me anyway and I use it, but not while hiking, for the above reasons. But those are just my thighs...someone else's might be different!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Oh, yeah, loose shorts with fairly long legs.
    Tinker, are you bragging?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    my only objection to something like an oilish bodyglide on a long distance hike (or even a short one) is that if you apply it each morning to your upper thighs before hiking, it would seem to become a very unsanitary place after a number of days hiking and applying it without having the opportunity of washing it off. It must even accumulate upon ones cloths in that area as well and has to begin breeding the 'nastys' until it all can be washed.
    Hmmm, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, on my clothes or skin, after using Body Glide periodically for 5 days.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++