WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Total number of all thru-hikers

First time to start thread, so hope this works!! Had read somewhere that approx. 8000 hikers have completed the AT on a thru-hike. Was wondering if anyone knows if this is correct and/or where the number of hikers that have completed thru-hike can be found.
    "I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore"

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...Statistics.htm Not counting 2006, 8990 have reported to that ATC that they've completed the entire trail.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I've done 3 thrus on the AT and only reported the first one. why bother? many don't.

I've reported none.

and on the other hand somepeople report completing a thru hike who did not really complete the hike

All I am saying is that there are no _GOOD_ numbers to base an estimate on so any such number has to be taken with a fairly large error term (and a grain of salt)

Hog is right. Tons of people report they do thru-hikes when they've skipped big sections. It drives the purists batty.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I've done 3 thrus on the AT and only reported the first one. why bother? many don't.
    I admire you.

Images

Default I'm not batty...

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Hog is right. Tons of people report they do thru-hikes when they've skipped big sections. It drives the purists batty.
    I missed a section in the Shenandoah Park when I came out of the woods onto the Skyline drive at the south end of a parking lot and walked through the lot. Then I saw a trail that led 100 yards into the woods where it rejoined the AT. I followed it and turned north, having missed maybe 200 yards of the AT.

Two weeks after I finished my hike I drove through the Shenandoah, parked in that same lot, walked south on the road to where the AT came out of the woods and then north on the trail to where it met the side trail from the parking lot. Walked back to my car and continued on. When I got home, THAT was when when I mailed in my thru hiker report to the ATC.
    Onward. Furthur!
    -<>-Doug
    GAME2k

I have newfound respect for the phrase "within walking distance." -Welches

That's admirable albeit a tad anal.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hey, we bypassed a part of the AT running along a hill in SNP so we could see the overlook below it. Much better view. Oh, and I must admit, we cut out twenty yards of the AT by bushwacking through the trees to a cross over at a parking lot on the Skyline Drive (I mean it was right there!!).

Skipping obvious whole sections (not doing it, that is) isn't being a 2,000 miler. But there are times that parts need to be skipped - for a view, bad weather, etc.

As it is we are sectioning part of VA right now (James River to Harpers Ferry) which we plan to skip over on our thru in 2007. This is so we make it back by the end of August for Paul Bunyan to go to college. For me it's a combo section and thru all in one.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    That's admirable albeit a tad anal.
    Yeah, I know. Still, it just didn't feel right to send in that report knowing I had, however unintentionally, missed a section. And I was driving on the Skyline anyway, so it wasn't out of my way. (He says, rationalizing anal behavior.)
    Onward. Furthur!
    -<>-Doug
    GAME2k

I have newfound respect for the phrase "within walking distance." -Welches

At least YOU'RE honest.

Coming into Pearisburg I shot straight down the hill because I got sick of the switchbacks getting nowhere and it was pissing down the rain. Does that count as skipping?
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodroot View Post
    Coming into Pearisburg I shot straight down the hill because I got sick of the switchbacks getting nowhere and it was pissing down the rain. Does that count as skipping?
    Maintainers love when you do that s**t!

I didn't bring but half the hillside with me!
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

I skipped a section a few years ago by bicycling on the Creeper Trail instead of walking back to Damascus.

And Lone Wolf saw me do it!

Truth be told, he also provided the beer and bicycle!!

Blue Blazing rules....to each their own. Like where you hike and hike where you like!!

(That being said, in the interests of full disclosure, I was NOT thru-hiking that year but just doing some big sections.....otherwise, I'd be tempted to go back to Damascus and fill in the missing stretch!)

If I'm not mistaken the ATC numbers are for those that completed the trail, either by thru-hiking or section hiking. Since many don't report their hikes and others claim to hiked it all when they have not, it's about as close as you'll get to the real number.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodroot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I skipped a section a few years ago by bicycling on the Creeper Trail instead of walking back to Damascus.
    Sound like what one would hear in a Puraholics Anonymous meeting. Maybe now would be a good time for someone to admit that they forgot to walk across the highway after a hitch and re-supply.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

OK, looking at the stats it seems about 20-25% of completed hikes in any given year are section hikers, so there have been approximately 7000 thru-hikers and the rest section hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Since many don't report their hikes and others claim to hiked it all when they have not, it's about as close as you'll get to the real number.
    Lot more of the latter than the former I'd be willing to bet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++