WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Springer new years

Hey guys I know there is most likely a different spot to post this but since it will be the start of our year i decided to put it here. With it being october already I was wondering who of my classmates would be on top of springer mountain for the new years and if you were looking forward to it as much as I am. 149 days untill the start of my hike.
    The sundance kid.
    The path of least resistance is without adventure.

There's also a hammock campout at Springer on New Years...you'll have plenty of company!

Roswell,GA- Wishing I was still living in NH
    Images

Yeah last year I believe I counted 36 people camping out, but there may have been more since some were camping over by the AT plaque. Even had one person who was starting their thru the next morning.
    While you were waiting to be created, I was evolving.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

It's been a tradition for the last few years for a New Years campout. Most are up for the night but there is usually at least a couple who are starting their hike on the 1st of the New Year. Oh yeah, and there are numerous hammockers and tent campers up there.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Thumbs up New Year's Eve at Springer

The first "official" New Year's Eve at Springer occurred when 1999 turned into 2000. The New Year's Eve at Springer has grown from a few to a crowd and a good time is had by all.

Bring some sparklers, (bring some firewood), bring some New Year's noise makers, bring something warm to wear and your rain gear (because you can't trust the weather), bring your smiles and be ready to share trail stories.

Many who are 'of a certain age' do bring something to toast in the New Year. So whether it's hot chocolate or Capt'n Morgan or another drink, come to Springer for a good time with the best people you'll ever have the opportunity to meet.

Every year there's been someone who starts his/her Thru Hike on New Year's Day -- and who better to encourage and celebrate the first day of another hiker's Thru Hike than a crowd of hikers celebrating New Year's at Springer?

See you at Springer?
    HapKiDo
    Priority Change in 2007
    GA>ME2008
    If the weather cooperates!

El Sordo
    Images

Just don't come with the idea that you will get an undisturbed nights sleep. Unless you plan on camping away from the general merrymakers, that is. It is New Years Eve after all.

In 1999-2000 I think I got 4 or 5 hour's sleep interrupted by the baby (yes five month old baby) whose parents hiked in via the Approach Trail (with a ten pound tent).

So you might be able to catch a few winks between midnight and sunrise.
    HapKiDo
    Priority Change in 2007
    GA>ME2008
    If the weather cooperates!

Last year only 7-8 (which could mean 3-4) made it to 06..... as far as I can recall.

I know nobody knows me, but I might show up for this. Sounds like fun!

formerly amazonwoman

I've been looking for something cool to do for new years...
    I might just see you all there.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd242 View Post
    I know nobody knows me, but I might show up for this. Sounds like fun!
    If you show up with a well-seasoned oak log, or food or drink, you'll know lots of folks by the time the New Year dawns.

I'll probably hike the approach trail up, but I could make a trip to hwy42 and drop off a load of firewood... Either way I'm sure I'll have a few liters of Bushmills in tow

You can pack a well-seasoned spilt or two up the approach trail.
    You'd be surprised.

I'm gonna show up with nothing. I expect trail magic. That is my resolution.

Anyone who participates, posts, or otherwise advertises this group of 30-40-50 people camping on Springer forfeits the right to bitch the next time they run into a scout troop at a shelter/camp site.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Anyone who participates, posts, or otherwise advertises this group of 30-40-50 people camping on Springer forfeits the right to bitch the next time they run into a scout troop at a shelter/camp site.
    No *****t! The hypocricy!

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    I'm gonna show up with nothing.
    Won't you be... cold?!

Is this directed at someone, just a general statement or are you against us getting together on Springer for New Years?

just curious

I'm not going to be there so I don't care what you do

The only point I was making is everytime sometime runs into a scout troop on the trail -- a good thing for the future of the trail from where I'm sitting -- someone always quotes the ATC policy to limit group size to no more than 10; with 4 or 6 preferable.

Those that choose to ignore the ATC guidelines on new years can't bitch when its them that feels infinged upon when they run into a scout troop or other group.

El Sordo
    Images

I'm not going to be there so I don't care what you do

The only point I was making is everytime sometime runs into a scout troop on the trail -- a good thing for the future of the trail from where I'm sitting -- someone always quotes the ATC policy to limit group size to no more than 10; with 4 or 6 preferable.

Those that choose to ignore the ATC guidelines on new years can't bitch when its them that feels infinged upon when they run into a scout troop or other group.
    duly noted. by the way, could you provide a reference to the ATC guidelines on New Years? I wasn't aware that the ATC had a guideline on New Years, or any other holiday for that matter.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++