WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bryson Memoir

Default Bryson Memoir

For those interested in such things, Bill Bryson's latest book, a memoir of his childhood, will be released on 17 October 2006.

Apparently, it'll contain information on his alleged friend and hiking companion, Stephen Katz, who was featured prominently in A Walk in the Woods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    For those interested in such things, Bill Bryson's latest book, a memoir of his childhood, will be released on 17 October 2006.

Apparently, it'll contain information on his alleged friend and hiking companion, Stephen Katz, who was featured prominently in A Walk in the Woods.
    You beat eArThworm on this find Jack? How did that happen......man she's slipping....but then she IS getting ready for the Gathering......we'll let her slide.

She still gets a cookie.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hay Jack..Having a change of heart...The impression I got, from discussions with you, is that you didn't particulary like the guy.
    Grampie-N->2001

"Without them we perish." eArThworm's Avatar
    Images

Default Bryson who?

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    You beat eArThworm on this find Jack? How did that happen......man she's slipping....but then she IS getting ready for the Gathering......we'll let her slide. She still gets a cookie.
    Let Jack take the heat for mentioning Bryson's book first. I've got a bigger announcement: Jack's going to be reading a book excerpt at my workshop, and so is Marsha, and Sly, and ... well, I don't want to give away ALL the fun. :-)

Default Bill Bryson's new book

Bryson's new book is titled "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" It's a memoir, that recounts Bryson"s growing up in the 1950's in Iowa. It does indeed include his friend Katz. I received an advanced copy of the book this past weekend, and have only read a few pages so far.

Images

Question Stephen Katz is in "Notes From A Small Island" too

Bryson wrote "Notes From A Small Island" in 1995 and mentions Stephen Katz in it. I'm reading it right now. "A Walk In The Woods" came out three years later.

Anybody else care to mention if Katz appears in other Bryson books?

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

I still don't understand why everyone hates on Bill Bryson. Sure, A Walk In The Woods is not the best book out there when it comes to capturing a true image of life on the trail, but he did introduce a lot of people, including myself, to the Appalachian Trail.

I have read almost everything Bryson has written and I find him a very entertaining and funny writer.

BTW, for those of you who like travel writers be sure to check out J. Maarten Troost's The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific and Getting Stoned with Savages: A Trip Through the Islands of Fiji and Vanuatu. Very funny writer.

Images

I enjoyed reading the book too.

Not everyone liked the way the book was written and some don't even like Bryson. Some have even prevented him from speaking at the Gathering way back many years ago.

Panzer

I thought it was a great book...I rarely laugh out loud when I'm reading, but I lost count of how many times I laughed at that book. But I don't get hung up on the "rules" of the trail...I think lots of people don't like the book because it's them he's making fun of!

There were a few parts I didn't like - pitching garbage and gear off the trail, for example. But it was still a great book.

I think lots of people don't like the book because it's them he's making fun of!
    Hmmm...like the old woman in Hiawassee that he compared to a dog? Yeah, because nothing's funnier than mocking the elderly when their minds age. Especially when you do it in print and give enough details to identify them precisely.

Images

Katz -schmatz -whatever. I hope Bryson compensated him.

DID YOU BRYSON ?

You know, the story itself was educating and entertaining---absolutely.

The problem I have with Bryson is this.......that bear picture on the book was a farce. That picture was to entice buyers while sitting in the window of a bookstore or outfitter.

Also, am I correct in saying that Bryson became FAMOUS because of the Appalachian Trail then?

In doing so, I think he should have done more for the Trail.

Default Stephen Katz

At the end of Bryson"s current book, "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid", he gives a short account (a what are they doing now type thing) of those friends he writes about in the book. Of all the boyhood friends he mentions, he indicates that only one, a guy named Jed Mattes, who is now deceased is the only one to which he did not attach a pseudonym.

So perhaps in can be concluded that Stephen Katz was a real person, who spent his youth with Bryson, and later hiked with him, but that Stephen Katz was not his real name.

By-the-way, the book is quite funny, and for anyone who grew up in the 1950's it covers very familiar territory.

Quote Originally Posted by DMA, 2000 View Post
    Hmmm...like the old woman in Hiawassee that he compared to a dog?
    I was talking about purists and gearheads.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    ...Also, am I correct in saying that Bryson became FAMOUS because of the Appalachian Trail then? ....
    No, I don't believe you would. The guy's a prolific & humorous author. A Walk In The Woods is just one of his books. Google him. Better yet, check with your local library and read some of his other books.

Also, I imagine he had nothing to do with the cover. I don't think authors ever do.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Speer Carrier View Post
    So perhaps in can be concluded that Stephen Katz was a real person, who spent his youth with Bryson, and later hiked with him, but that Stephen Katz was not his real name.
    This article, http://www.itv.com/page.asp?partid=6466, mentions that Katz real name is Matt Angerer.

I was talking about purists and gearheads.
    I know you were, but it's more than just wounded ego that makes people dislike Bryson. After publishing the passage to which I referred, it amazes me that Bryson has not been ostracized from decent society. As far as I'm concerned, the man is a steaming pile of feces.

You people really, and I mean really, need to get over this Bryson thing. Its a book you freaks. Just a book. You guys need to relax.
    May the four winds blow you safely home

I don't understand the antipathy towards Bryson. It's a book, a pretty fair read, and while it may be guilty of a few liberties that are not atypical of the genre it is not misrepresentative of the trail experience. It is certainly in my mind the most entertaining book that I have read on the trail - moreover, my personal belief is that it is closer to an accurate portrayal of the trail than many of the "life transforming, this is serious business" works penned on the subject.

He's a good writer. The trail is good subject matter. He approached it with a refined view towards humor and experience that was different than most books previously written about the trail. The result was a best-seller, and ultimately brought a lot of awareness about the trail to many who may not have cared before.

Bill doesn't owe the trail community any more than he owes Australia for "In a Sunburned Country" or owes the British for making him famous through his extensive travel writings there. It's life. The book as a whole has been far more positive to the trail in its impact than negative.

I can see if you don't like the book or if you don't like Bill. But the book itself is no more nefarious than any other work written with an eye towards entertainment.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bartender View Post
    You people really, and I mean really, need to get over this Bryson thing. Its a book you freaks. Just a book. You guys need to relax.
    The Bible is also just a book, but look at the influence it has brought on this world. Words (and book) can be a very powerful thing, my friend.
    "For those who understand, no explanation is needed; for those who do not, none will do." ---Jerry Lewis

I don't understand the antipathy towards Bryson.
    Really? My first post doesn't make it clear? If that's what you call "refined" humor, I'd hate to see what you consider base humor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++