WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default tent poles and air planes

this might not be the right spot for this but what do yall think about tent poles in my packwheni fly? is there some way to maybe protect them from getting bent or is it jsut taking a chance

AT Wanderer and '08 Dreamer Kevin A. Boyce's Avatar
    Images

If you are checking them in, just pack some clothes or your sleeping pad around them, pretty much anything to pad them, they should be fine. I just was in Alask back in August and even with the number of plane changes coming and going, I had no problems with them or my trekking poles either. My partners had no issues either, just pad them well...

AT Wanderer and '08 Dreamer Kevin A. Boyce's Avatar
    Images

To edit my previous response...

That is if you are checking in your luggage... I had everything in a large travel duffel that worked great.

We're gonna need a bigger boat... Emsadida's Avatar

You could always put the poles in a strong cardboard tube inside the duffel bag. If your poles are bent after that, you'll probably be dead or something else rather nasty happened...

Images

"Splint" your poles with a 2"x2" piece of wood ("a two by two") by wrapping them in CLEAR PLASTIC and then taping the package around the wood. The wood will fully protect them, better even than a cardboard tube), and the plastic being clear makes them visible to the TSA. Works for metal or fibreglas poles, it's what I always do.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

How about just wrapping your sleeping pad around them? I roll my pad up and you can easily shove them into it, then put them in your pack.

++ New Posts ++