WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: price

Default price

whats the total cost of your thru ?include rent and bills while your gone if thats an exspence. add up every cost both hiking and non hikeing if its a cost you will pay to hike or to be able to maintain your life back home.

my apartment cant be subleted due to my art.and i cant turn off the utilitys. and i live alone and need to maintain this homefront for my return.

so my total cost is alot:
    for five months:
    rent+electric+gas+phone+trip money+extras = about 9000.00$
    matthewski

i'm lucky in that i'm living with my dad while i attend college, and i don't have any bills to pay. i've saved up enough money to last me through the entire hike and gear for said hike has run me about $900, prolly closer to a grand by now i've gotten lazy about keeping track of my gear spending. after i bank the funds i receive for the upcoming fall semester i'll have about 3 grand in hiking money.

I usually rent my house out when i go hiking.
    The money i get for rent usually covers most all of my hiking costs.
    I make them pay the utilities too.
    Haven't had health insurance since '87, haven't had a car payment since '71. (Real estate taxes are getting higher though.)
    so, if you look at it like the original poster wanted, it could be done for free!

"Free is better than cheap" and bill's suck!

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

If you are calculating the total cost. Consider figuring the difference in not working. For me after expensies it is going to add about a year less pay, vacation time, retirement, plus.

But having figured in all of that, I still think it is worth it. Although I seem to think I am the only person I know that thinks that way. A couple of my friends seem to think I am making a big career mistake. Time will tell.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone
    whats the total cost of your thru ?include rent and bills while your gone if thats an exspence. add up every cost both hiking and non hikeing if its a cost you will pay to hike or to be able to maintain your life back home.

my apartment cant be subleted due to my art.and i cant turn off the utilitys. and i live alone and need to maintain this homefront for my return.

so my total cost is alot:
    for five months:
    rent+electric+gas+phone+trip money+extras = about 9000.00$
    I just paid off the homestead on 08-02-06. Average for Property taxes and Insurance is 333 per month. If I go in '08 that's what the while away costs for home are. I plan on having ast least 4500 for the hike.
    Total = 6500.

Add 2900 to the total for unpaid debt if I go in 07. 9400. 'Aint gonna happen.

Looks like late March '08 it is.
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Too many (unhappy) people wrongfully assume that time is money!
    You will find out differently when hiking the trail. Quality time = Hiking time
    Perhaps your friends will have written on their tombstones: "He wishes he would've spent more time at the office" (and who do they think will live longer?)

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead
    Too many (unhappy) people wrongfully assume that time is money!
    You will find out differently when hiking the trail. Quality time = Hiking time
    Perhaps your friends will have written on their tombstones: "He wishes he would've spent more time at the office" (and who do they think will live longer?)
    That's the way I feel. I would rather be poor with lots of time off loving life, than working nonstop and loaded. One of my friends who doesn't live like this, doesn't see me ever getting a real job. Only time will tell.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer
    If you are calculating the total cost. Consider figuring the difference in not working. For me after expensies it is going to add about a year less pay, vacation time, retirement, plus.

But having figured in all of that, I still think it is worth it. Although I seem to think I am the only person I know that thinks that way. A couple of my friends seem to think I am making a big career mistake. Time will tell.
    I am in the same boat except as long as I do not withdraw my retirement savings, I still get it at the "rule of 80" date. (age + years of service = 80)
    I'll have to wait about 5 extra years before collecting. I can handle that.
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Perhaps he will be a plumber and work 40 hours a week with 2 weeks off every year for whatever passion he has. And you may be a wilderness ranger in Utah, or a trail builder that gets to travel to Tazmania to help desing some future trail there. Or a pack designer/manufacturer. Or poet/musician/author/songwriter/movie maker/
    Long Distance backpacking has a lot to offer. Mostly quality time and educating yourself about nature and what's really important in this world.
    Anyone can be a plumber.

Sorry, i didn't hit the "Quote" button but was reffering to Hammock Engineer's post above. This thread is too hot to give me time to answer

I often say I am going to end up doing something completly unrelated to my degree. What ever happens, happens. As long as I have enough money to live and not have to work my whole life, I am happy.

Who says threads get off topic on WB.

Arrow Cost of my Thru Hike

I'll be saving money by Thru Hiking.

I'll be retired. I rent, so I'm giving up my house. I have two animals that go to the kennel ($500 a month), one storage unit ($50 a month), car is parked (one $300 insurance payment while I'm on the Trail), Life Insurance ($40 a quarter, gone 2 payment-quarters).

Six months = $3980 for those items at home.
    I plan to spend no more than $3000 while on my Thru Hike. And I may be able to spend less.

I have no other bills. Health insurance is covered by my retirement program. I will be able to save nearly as much as I'll spend while Thru Hiking.

Where will I live after my hike? Anywhere I want to.
    HapKiDo
    HapKiDo
    Priority Change in 2007
    GA>ME2008
    If the weather cooperates!

I am fortunate to be paid to hike. My plant will be shutdown for a re-tooliing on March 31, 2007. It is expected to be down for 12-18 months. I will be paid state unemployment and the rest of my regular pay up to 95%. I have 8 more years to retirement and may not be healthy enough by then I am afraid. My wife will only have to sign up online once a week for my pay. I hope to be on the trail by April 15th. My only concern is my family situation with my daughter right now. She is expecting a baby on March 23, 2007. That might delay my plans, but I still may section hike the whole trail when I can. That way I could come home when I want to see my family.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by karo
    I am fortunate to be paid to hike. My plant will be shutdown for a re-tooliing on March 31, 2007. It is expected to be down for 12-18 months. I will be paid state unemployment and the rest of my regular pay up to 95%. I have 8 more years to retirement and may not be healthy enough by then I am afraid. My wife will only have to sign up online once a week for my pay. I hope to be on the trail by April 15th. My only concern is my family situation with my daughter right now. She is expecting a baby on March 23, 2007. That might delay my plans, but I still may section hike the whole trail when I can. That way I could come home when I want to see my family.
    Hello fellow flyfisherman and hiker!

Lucky should be your name.

Fat,drunk & stupid is no way to go thru life, son. EarthJourney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer
    A couple of my friends seem to think I am making a big career mistake. Time will tell.
    I hear ya! With the exception of this board - most of the feedback I get is of the thought........."Are ya really sure you want to do this??????" as they cock and nod their head w/that questioning/disapproving look.

Thank goodness for that "birds of a feather" thingie!
    It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent - Dave Barry

Images

$2,200....lived like a king.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthJourney
    I hear ya! With the exception of this board - most of the feedback I get is of the thought........."Are ya really sure you want to do this??????" as they cock and nod their head w/that questioning/disapproving look.

Thank goodness for that "birds of a feather" thingie!
    It all comes down to living life to the fullest and not having any regrets. Not going would be something that would bug my the rest of my life.

Hope to see you out there next year.

Because of some unexpected medical bills, I'm going to have a lot less cash for my thru than I was originally planning. I'm going to have to be strict with myself about limiting town days/eating out/etc. but I think I'll be okay. I'm planning on about $3000. (This does not include money spent on gear and bills while I'm gone). I could wait another year and be sure that I'd have more, but I'm dead-set on going in '07 and if it means I have to cut bakc on some luxuries, so be it.
    Mindi

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mindi
    Because of some unexpected medical bills, I'm going to have a lot less cash for my thru than I was originally planning. I'm going to have to be strict with myself about limiting town days/eating out/etc. but I think I'll be okay. I'm planning on about $3000. (This does not include money spent on gear and bills while I'm gone). I could wait another year and be sure that I'd have more, but I'm dead-set on going in '07 and if it means I have to cut bakc on some luxuries, so be it.
    Mindi
    you'll be just fine with 3K. have a great time!

Images

I you look at lost wages, plus expenses, impact on my buisiness the number would be in the triple digits but it is not about money unless maybe your name is Bryson and you want to write a book.

Mortage 2,200 /month
    Kids Tution combined 90K/yr
    lost wages ????

hiking the AT - PRICELESS
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++