Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: PCT gearlist

  1. #1
    Working on Forestry Grad schol
    Join Date
    01-21-2005
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,455

    Default PCT gearlist

    Sobo, Departing July 1stish finishing by mid-october to early november. *'d items are not owned by me

    Big 4
    Mummy-trimmed/narrow full length ridgerest 10 oz
    W.M. Cloud 9 conforter (35 deg, 20 oz
    6x10 Etowah sil tarp 9 oz+4 oz stakes/cord
    *gossamer gear bug shelter 3 oz
    Jansport Superbreak (26L, trimmed) 9 oz

    Total 55 oz

    clothes
    *montbell UL windjacket 2.5
    windblock fleece hat 2.5 oz
    2 spare pairs of socks 4 oz
    emergency poncho 1 oz
    *nylon socks, kilt, *montrail hard rocks, leki UL Makalus (worn/used)
    10 oz
    Cooking
    *SteriPen water purifier (UV pen) 7 oz
    *3L platypus+hose 3.5
    *Vargo triad TI alcohol stove 1
    snow Peak 1.4 L pot (tinfoil replaces lid) 6 oz
    pot cozy 1.5 oz
    *Buck hartsook 2 1.88" knife (looks like a shiv to me) .5 oz
    *plastic spoon .5 oz
    20 oz

    misc
    i pod+headphones+*solar charger 14 oz
    medkit/repair kit (erm...a bit of duct tape, needle, thread, neosporin, butterfly bandages) 3 oz
    *books and maps, compass 8 oz
    sunblock, sportslick 4 oz
    *sil dry bag 2 oz
    31 oz
    +a few ounces that appear out of nowhere

    7lbs, 8 oz

    cold weather changes:
    *+9.5 oz CAMP corsa nanotech ice ax
    *+5.5 oz Western Mountaineering flight down fest
    -3 oz noseeum netting
    + 1 oz emergency poncho
    Total
    +12 oz

    I go with a narrow full-length sleeping pad so that I can avoid a groundcloth

    For the UV pen, I found that, when thirsty, I would normally just drink the water and risk it rather than wait for it to purify.

    Knife-I just want a single, non-folding sharp piece of metal with a case.

    iPod--heavy, but worth it, especially given the solitude I'll have on a PCT sobo

    clothes- I pretty much never use raingear unless it gets below 45 or so, then it's cold enough that I don't sweat too much under an emergency poncho

    I'm hoping to get everything I need (including replacement shoes/socks) for under $1200

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,109

    Default

    Have you practiced w/o the groundcloth? I move around when I sleep on the ground, so my quilt would touch the ground throughout the night. Especially bad if I were to make camp on already-wet ground. But if it works for you, great...just something to consider.

    How does that emergency poncho hold up to high winds.

  3. #3
    Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-11-2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    5,230
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Have you practiced w/o the groundcloth? I move around when I sleep on the ground, so my quilt would touch the ground throughout the night. Especially bad if I were to make camp on already-wet ground. But if it works for you, great...just something to consider.

    How does that emergency poncho hold up to high winds.
    That's a good observation. Don't want to have your bag or quilt wicking moisture from contact with the ground.

  4. #4
    Working on Forestry Grad schol
    Join Date
    01-21-2005
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,455

    Default

    I didn't have a groundcloth on the AT, and it's a lot wetter than the PCT

  5. #5

    Default

    A wide brimmed hat & sun glasses are highly recommended. 4 ounces of sunblock might not be enough. Unlike the AT, you have to use it in the Sierra & desert.

  6. #6

    Default

    I don't think a 35* bag is going to be warm enough in the Sierras (water froze last Sept.) and perhaps WA.

  7. #7
    Working on Forestry Grad schol
    Join Date
    01-21-2005
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,455

    Default

    Will a 35 not be enough, even wearing a down vest?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Will a 35 not be enough, even wearing a down vest?
    I don't know. Maybe you can experiment over the winter. I think for the most part 20* bags are the norm. The average altitude on the PCT is probably close to the highest on the AT.

  9. #9

    Default

    From the PCTA website...

    http://www.pcta.org/about_trail/faqs.asp

    Q. How warm a sleeping bag do I need?

    A. Depends on the individual, but most hikers find that a down or synthetic bag rated at +20° F is a good compromise between warmth and weight/bulk. You might choose to add a VBL (vapor barrier liner) at Kennedy Meadows in early season for the high Sierra, or a 5° F bag. Otherwise you will probably be a little chilly at times. Most hikers carry a light sleeping pad, but some insulate themselves from the ground with only clothing and gear. You will need to protect your bag and clothes from rain and immersion during river crossings.

  10. #10

    Default

    If you can make it to the ALDHA Gathering Yogi's who's hiked the trail 2.5 times and will be again in '07, will be doing a workshop.

  11. #11

    Default

    IMO there is no need to be an ounce weenie on the PCT as the hiking is pretty easy no real strenuous climbs just alot of trail to cover each day. Definatly carry a 20 deg. bag. I used a 20 and a bivy sack (no tent) with a Z-rest and was still chilly at times. BTW I have hiked 1000 NB miles of PCT so my experience is limited.
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

  12. #12

    Default

    Yeah, 1 extra lb and you won't be freezing your ass off every other night.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    If you can make it to the ALDHA Gathering Yogi's who's hiked the trail 2.5 times and will be again in '07...
    And wrote the PCT Guidebook.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    And wrote the PCT Guidebook.
    Right, how could I forget, I have a copy!

    http://www.pcthandbook.com/

  15. #15
    trash, hiker the goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-27-2005
    Location
    the timbers of fennario
    Posts
    2,835
    Images
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Yeah, 1 extra lb and you won't be freezing your ass off every other night.
    i'm sold, i'm gonna keep my 20* bag for the pct, i had contemplated getting something lighter for part of it but....

    hey, i'm headed north in late-mid april, should i plan on using my 20 deg bag through the desert as well?
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    i'm sold, i'm gonna keep my 20* bag for the pct, i had contemplated getting something lighter for part of it but....

    hey, i'm headed north in late-mid april, should i plan on using my 20 deg bag through the desert as well?
    Definately. It's "high desert" for the most part and the trail traverses several mountains over 9000 feet before you get to the Sierras. The trail can be snowbound 60 miles from the border on Mt Laguna which is 7000+.

  17. #17
    trash, hiker the goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-27-2005
    Location
    the timbers of fennario
    Posts
    2,835
    Images
    4

    Default

    sly- what a/b crampons? is that something that depends on the snow this winter/ spring, or should i pretty much bet on having a pair? if so, where do they come into play, sierras or further south?
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    sly- what a/b crampons? is that something that depends on the snow this winter/ spring, or should i pretty much bet on having a pair? if so, where do they come into play, sierras or further south?
    Not really necessary. Generally, you can time your approaches to when the snow softens up and kick steps if need be. If you don't use poles, you should atleast take an ice ax, but usually don't have to pick it up before Anza and the San Jacinto (mi 160ish) if there's lots of snow there. Then foward any cold/snow/ice type gear you think you may need to Kennedy Meadows.

    I'll talk to you next weekend about it and bring Yogi's book.

  19. #19
    trash, hiker the goat's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-27-2005
    Location
    the timbers of fennario
    Posts
    2,835
    Images
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Not really necessary. Generally, you can time your approaches to when the snow softens up and kick steps if need be. If you don't use poles, you should atleast take an ice ax, but usually don't have to pick it up before Anza and the San Jacinto (mi 160ish) if there's lots of snow there. Then foward any cold/snow/ice type gear you think you may need to Kennedy Meadows.

    I'll talk to you next weekend about it and bring Yogi's book.
    excellent, thanks sly.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

  20. #20
    Working on Forestry Grad schol
    Join Date
    01-21-2005
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,455

    Default

    Could I make a phone call to one of the resident PCT experts? I don't really have the oppertunity to take a vacation at the moment to go to the gathering. I work 7 days a week, at 2 full time jobs.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •