WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again and again. If you think Pennsylvania's tough, you might as well stay home.

For many people, Pennsylvania's infamous rocks become a self-fulfilling prophesy. They decide in advance that the rocks will make them miserable. Guess what, when they get here, people who expect to have that experience do. People who don't focus excessively on the rocks and find other things upon which to focus, while keeping their thoughts positive can finish the rest of the A.T. too.
    Seems like that's the same for other parts too. Like the Approach trail is tough, you get the blues in VA, Mahoosuc Notch takes a half a day for one mile, The Whites are -- well...etc etc. Yeah, and the rocks of PA. The bad news can psych you completely out.

I plan to take this one day at a time. Concentrate on that day and what it offers.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Default Blissful, you'll do just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I plan to take this one day at a time. Concentrate on that day and what it offers.
    If you're mind is open to fully absorbing what's offerred, you'll find much to focus upon which is pleasant. Live in the present and fear not what the future holds. Above all, dwell not upon the unpleasant. For many a hiker, going down that path has led to a failure to thru.

Your thoughts and the terrain will change like the weather. Hold on to those thoughts which advance you up the trail and let the others be carried away as smoke by the breeze on a warm fall day.

Quote Originally Posted by driver126 View Post
    We took a shakedown cruise on the At near Delaware Water Gap in preperation for a section hike in Virginia next spring. My buddy is thinking about backing out because of the rocky terrain in Pa. Can anybody reassure him that Virginia is nothing like the glacila tallus that you find through Pa ans Nj?. Thanks and good luck to all.
    Reading through this thread could be confusing.
    Bottom line, the terrain in Virginia is not like the terrain in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is miserably rocky. There are rocks everywhere along the AT but the rocks in Pennsylvania hurt your feet more because of their size, shape, placement, and quantity. If your friend was able to get through that section of Pennsylvania, he will find almost any section of Virginia to be a pleasant contrast: relatively easy and enjoyable.

I don't get people who say that PA isn't particularly rocky. The trail passes through an awful lot of rock fields...unstable rocks the size of footballs, just waiting to snap your ankles.

On the other hand, it's about the easiest state on the trail. For the most part it's as flat as can be. My mileage definitely peaked there.

Default Thank you

Thanks to everybody. Thanks especially to Appalachian Tater and Slogger you guys hit the nail on the head. I should have been more specific, I don't mind rocks, it is those sharp edged rocks every two inches that I found to be painful. Thanks again everybody!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Reading through this thread could be confusing.
    Many whiteblaze.net threads share that characteristic.

Bottom line, the terrain in Virginia is not like the terrain in Pennsylvania.
    Really? The two are similiar in that they both involve much hiking along ridges. The more significant ups and downs occur increasingly at water gaps as one advances north on the Virginia A.T. much as in Pennsylvania.

There is beautiful pastoral scenery in both states. There are many vistas offerring exceptional views of farm country.

Are Baer Rocks and Dragon's Tooth not similiar in effect if not in many other ways?

Pennsylvania is miserably rocky. There are rocks everywhere along the AT but the rocks in Pennsylvania hurt your feet more because of their size, shape, placement, and quantity.
    Miserably is an adverb that might describe how one hikes in Pennsylvania if one so chooses. Reacting to the A.T. in Pennsylvania in that manner is not inevitable.

The size, shape, placement and quantity of rocks varies considerably from place to place.

Whether one's feet hurt when passing thru Pennsylvania depends to at least some extent upon what footwear one chooses to wear, the miles per day hiked and the care with which one places one's feet with respect to the rocks. I contend those of us who grew up here are more adept at the art of rock-hopping than those who learned to hike elsewhere. To some extent, it takes a slightly different approach.

Whether one's feet hurt more or less when hiking through Pennsylvania's 200+ miles than when hiking another portion of the A.T. of similiar length is at least somewhat subjective and depends upon the sections compared and one's recollection.

If your friend was able to get through that section of Pennsylvania, he will find almost any section of Virginia to be a pleasant contrast: relatively easy and enjoyable.
    We will only know that if his friend does the hike and he reports back to us as it would be strictly his opinion.
    Last edited by emerald; 10-09-2006 at 13:02.

There is a definite technique to PA rocks. After 20 years of hiking in Rocksylvania, it becomes second nature.

Images

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by gtothero View Post
    There is a definite technique to PA rocks. After 20 years of hiking in Rocksylvania, it becomes second nature.
    An excellent opening post! Sometime you and I should participate in a thread where those who understand this technique can attempt to explain it the uninitiated who may be able to learn a few things from us.

Here's a quick list in no particular order:
    • Wear heavier boots with heavy midsoles if not a steel shank.
    • An insole and heavier socks may help.
    • Don't step on sharp rocks, loose rocks or rocks that weigh less than you if it can be avoided.
    • Step only on large rocks or smooth treadway when presented with that option.
    • Pick up your feet.
    • Realize that you are more prone to misstepping when in a hurry or toward the end of a day.
    • Sometimes you may need to slow down.
    • Don't blame your stumbling on the rocks but rather the person who stumbled.
    • Accept the treadway for what it is rather than expect it to be smooth. You will be happier and enjoy yourself more.
    • Practice makes perfect.
    • The temperature has an impact upon one's level of hydration which, in turn, impacts one's hiking ability. Guess where most thru-hikers are at the hottest time of the year?
    • Successful rock-hopping is like driving a car in that you must concentrate on what you are doing and not allow yourself to be distracted.
    Last edited by emerald; 10-09-2006 at 14:17. Reason: Added 2 more

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    ...the only downside of PA so far is no sweet tea or grits.
    It's been a few years since I dined there, but Esther's Diner on Route 22, a 10 minute hitch from Route 645 and maybe 20 minutes from 501, used to have grits. My old roomate from Louisiana thought they were the real deal.

Is "sweet tea" something more than tea with a bunch of sugar?

Images

Default Mr. Coyle

Quote Originally Posted by c.coyle View Post
    It's been a few years since I dined there, but Esther's Diner on Route 22, a 10 minute hitch from Route 645 and maybe 20 minutes from 501, used to have grits. My old roomate from Louisiana thought they were the real deal.

Is "sweet tea" something more than tea with a bunch of sugar?
    I thought we might expect hear from you. I'm not so sure we will hear from our friend Fiddlehead today.

Did you realize MedicineMan will be visiting us soon? Maybe the 3 of us could meet at Esther's and get a second opinion from him.

These hikers from points south like their sweet tea and grits. We must try to accommodate their needs and make them feel at home even though they may feel they are in a foreign land.
    Last edited by emerald; 10-10-2006 at 18:30.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=Shades of Gray;254424]I've said it before and I'll say it again and again. If you think Pennsylvania's tough, you might as well stay home.
    =====================================

Northern PA isn't so tough ...it's annoying.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    When you get past the Delaware...... it's pretty much smooth sailing from there. [omitted smile]

At least, thats what I heard.

From LW.
    You know better than that!

Images

I've said it before and I'll say it again and again. If you think Pennsylvania's tough, you might as well stay home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    Northern PA isn't so tough ...it's annoying.

'Slogger
    For some, it most definately can be!
    Last edited by emerald; 10-09-2006 at 14:49.

Images

... These hikers from points south like their sweet tea and grits. We must try to accommodate their needs and make them feel at home even though they may feel they are in a foreign land.
    Anything, within reason, to promote Pennsylvania, The Armpit of the A.T.®

Quote Originally Posted by DMA, 2000 View Post
    I don't get people who say that PA isn't particularly rocky.
    I don't think anyone has said that DMA. What people have said - is that you have to walk on a lot of rocks before you get to PA. Afterwards too. I just think it's a bit overblown, but then again I had walked 1000 miles when I got there. If you dropped me off today wearing a pair of trail runners - I'd be hurtin' for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    Well, I'm not sayin who I heard it from but I was told that hardly a day goes by w/o seeing rocks on the AT!

That part about PA/mental is true.........if'n yer a sobo. I'm told it's Virginny for nobos.

I don't know about that. By the time the SOBO's hit PA they've already done the hardest part up north and are pretty stoic about the rock thing. At least I was (n=1).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by c.coyle View Post
    Anything, within reason, to promote Pennsylvania, The Armpit of the A.T.®
    Not sure if you're trying to help my advertising campaign or not Coyle.

Maybe what you're saying is like when I'm at my parent's home and people are hovering around the stove waiting to pounce. When something really good seems to be in the offing, someone is apt to say that whatever it is smells or probably tastes terrible! , the objective being to drive off the others so that more remains for the person who pronounced it to be unfit to eat.

Maybe we don't need to change people's minds about Pennsylvania. If we can make them go away, we can have it all to ourselves!

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default Yes still hoping to hook up with you Shades of Grey

I'm still scheduled for my next love affair with the AT in PA Nov. 10-14 beginning at Swatara Gap......and after being reminded of the rocks I'm still very much looking forward to Pennsylvania...compared to sitting in the hospital like i am now rocks are a beautiful thing....suddenly I'm reminded of One-Leg having met him in Harpers Ferry (that's also when B.Jack replaced a pair of poles I snapped in the Roller Coaster). After seeing Scot I'll never whine about walking amonst rock or anything else
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    I'm still scheduled for my next love affair with the AT in PA Nov. 10-14 beginning at Swatara Gap......and after being reminded of the rocks I'm still very much looking forward to Pennsylvania...compared to sitting in the hospital like i am now rocks are a beautiful thing....suddenly I'm reminded of One-Leg having met him in Harpers Ferry (that's also when B.Jack replaced a pair of poles I snapped in the Roller Coaster). After seeing Scot I'll never whine about walking amonst rock or anything else
    Swatara Creek has receded. You won't need to take the high water route. We look forward to entertaining those who take to the rocks like men!

Wine is a beverage pronounced like whine, produced by fermenting grapes. Whine is what some people do about rocks. It is undignified.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

The original question asked about the rockiness of PA vs. VA as perceived by a section hiker. Certainly PA is pretty easy to get through after you've been walking for 3 months. However, a section hiker is likely to find VA easier, at least when it comes to the trail bed. You can at least build up a good tempo on the VA trail without endangering your ankles. PA has fewer significant elevation changes, but that wasn't the question. Frankly, I find that a highly irregular trail surface slows me down and tires me out, physically and mentally, a lot more than a mile-long ascent.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++