WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking trail advice

A group of us old guys is planning on doing some day hiking later this month in the Smokies. We are looking at taking the Boulevard trail to Mt Lecoute and down the Alum Cave trail as one hike and Clingmans Dome to Siler's Bald and back on another day. Any advice on these hikes. Are the trail in good shape? How difficult? Our third hike may be in the Deep Creek area I believe it is something like Deep Creek to martin's gap trail to Indian Creek trail back to deep creek. Any comments or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by grayjoe View Post
    A group of us old guys is planning on doing some day hiking later this month in the Smokies. We are looking at taking the Boulevard trail to Mt Lecoute and down the Alum Cave trail as one hike and Clingmans Dome to Siler's Bald and back on another day. Any advice on these hikes. Are the trail in good shape? How difficult? Our third hike may be in the Deep Creek area I believe it is something like Deep Creek to martin's gap trail to Indian Creek trail back to deep creek. Any comments or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    gj, it ALL depends on you. What kinda shape are yall in? I left my Smokys map in my other jacket, what kinda miles we doing? Do a lot of hiking? I didn't notice where you were from but altitude could be a factor as well. And so could the weather........and.............
    But here's the deal. Some folks think hiking is really tough, and it is. Folks who have a positive attitude and are in good shape will find less the trails less difficult and perhaps even easy, but like I said, it all depends.
    Sounds like a good time, Enjoy!

I forgot to say to Whiteblaze!!!!
    Just remember gj, if the trail gets tough and its raining, you're tired, you're hungry, (and you know its going to be cold) just remember..... you could be hiking in Arkansas.

The Deep Creek loop you suggest is a nice loop with several pretty falls. The Deep Creek Tr also serves as a horse trail and was deeply rutted, though under repair, when I was last hiking it this past July. It is a VERY busy section for weekenders/dayhikers, as you can rent intertubes nearby and float down the creek, so go in off-season (like now, not summer) if you're looking for solitude. Elevation gain and loss is reasonable for this loop.

AT from Clingman's to Silers Bald shelter is nice, but any hike on the AT or up and down the AT ridge from any trail is tough tough tough! The return back will be tougher. Nice views, but, again, avoid Clingman's on weekends if you're looking for solitude. The road to Clingmans will be closing soon, too, so check for weather updates before you go. And, if you park there an sudden weather moves in this time of year, you could be stuck.

Haven't done LeConte area yet, but it's on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    gj, it ALL depends on you. What kinda shape are yall in? I left my Smokys map in my other jacket, what kinda miles we doing? Do a lot of hiking? I didn't notice where you were from but altitude could be a factor as well. And so could the weather........and.............
    But here's the deal. Some folks think hiking is really tough, and it is. Folks who have a positive attitude and are in good shape will find less the trails less difficult and perhaps even easy, but like I said, it all depends.
    Sounds like a good time, Enjoy!
    Nean,

Thanks for the advice. Arkansas made for a tough weekend. Florida may be worse this weekend.

Grayjoe

Quote Originally Posted by C-Stepper View Post
    The Deep Creek loop you suggest is a nice loop with several pretty falls. The Deep Creek Tr also serves as a horse trail and was deeply rutted, though under repair, when I was last hiking it this past July. It is a VERY busy section for weekenders/dayhikers, as you can rent intertubes nearby and float down the creek, so go in off-season (like now, not summer) if you're looking for solitude. Elevation gain and loss is reasonable for this loop.

AT from Clingman's to Silers Bald shelter is nice, but any hike on the AT or up and down the AT ridge from any trail is tough tough tough! The return back will be tougher. Nice views, but, again, avoid Clingman's on weekends if you're looking for solitude. The road to Clingmans will be closing soon, too, so check for weather updates before you go. And, if you park there an sudden weather moves in this time of year, you could be stuck.

Haven't done LeConte area yet, but it's on the list.
    C-Stepper

Thanks for the advice. We will see how we do. We have done this for the last several years. We fight for every breath and laugh at each other alot but have a great time.

Grayjoe

Images

Quote Originally Posted by grayjoe View Post
    Nean,

Thanks for the advice. Arkansas made for a tough weekend. Florida may be worse this weekend.

Grayjoe
    The official hat on the AT (in TN anyway) is the gator cap. By the end of the season, the Gator cap may be the official hat of the entire southeastern AT!

Default Sadly I would have to agree

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    The official hat on the AT (in TN anyway) is the gator cap. By the end of the season, the Gator cap may be the official hat of the entire southeastern AT!
    Does not look good for our side.

Images

Default Mountaineers

I don't know who's apt to play whom, but those Dawgs got a taste of something they didn't like last year, didn't they?
    Last edited by emerald; 10-09-2006 at 16:02.

Spent this last Saturday hiking in the Smokies. Parked at Newfound Gap, hiked to Icewater Springs and then continued on the Boulevard to Mt. Leconte. Back to Icewater Springs to overnight. Next a.m. after breakfast, a quick packless hike to check out the Bunion and then back to Newfound.

Trail was in great shape....the leaves they are a changin'.....the American Mountain Ash trees are producing a LOT of red cluster berries and LeConte is simply indescribable..you have to see it.

A great easy trip would be Newfound Gap to LeConte, overnight and back. There is a shelter there, but requires reservations. Charlies Bunion and the Jumpoff could be viewed either day if time permits.....Absolutely beautiful this time of year........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by springerfever View Post
    A great easy trip would be Newfound Gap to LeConte, overnight and back. There is a shelter there, but requires reservations. Charlies Bunion and the Jumpoff could be viewed either day if time permits.....Absolutely beautiful this time of year........

I have Icewater Spring and Mt LeConte Shelter's reserved for the last weekend in Oct. I can't wait to do that trip again
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I have Icewater Spring and Mt LeConte Shelter's reserved for the last weekend in Oct. I can't wait to do that trip again
    Thanks Springerfever and Ewker. Looking forward to the hiking in a couple of weekends. Hopefully we will see some fall colors.

Default Alum Cave Trail

My son-in law and I hiked the Alum Cave trail this past weekend. The trail is very well maintained. There were perhaps 200 people hiking the trail that day, so you won't be alone. It took us about 2 hours to hike down from Mt LeConte to the parking lot.

++ New Posts ++