WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

:banana jan-feb V.S mar-apr start dates

anybody out the do a thru hike in jan or feb? anybody do both jan feb start and a mar apr start? positives,negatives?too hard to go in jan?

Images

Default You sure are an early bird, aren't you?

Are you sure you want to start that early? Do you really need to start that early or do you want to for some particular reason? Those early hikes often result in slow initial progress that translates into increased expense.

Start April 15 ish and hike with Spring and finish in Maine in the Fall.

Start January in the cold rain in Georgia, hit the GSMNP and catch snow at elevation and finish in Maine during the Summer and miss the Fall colors.

Choice is yours.

Images

Also, even though the start of the AT is in the south, it is at elevation. The earlier you start, the greater chance you take of getting bad weather at altitude and having to take days off at the start of your hike if you want to avoid it. We do get some nasty stuff up in the Smokies occasionally as late as March.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

January will be cold and wet, and the weather will be challenging, but personally I'm starting on the first so I can finish before my wedding. It's possible, but your pack will weigh more. On the positive side the view of places like the smokies with snow on a clear day can't be beat.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

we started Feb 1st. Shoot away with questions...
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

The Smokies can be great in Jan. We hiked it in 2002 SOBO'd the Smokies in Jan and saw no other hikers, great views, good weather. It was my best trip thru the smokies out of 5. It depends on what weather you get. I drove friends down to GA one year in Feb. and it was 70 degrees the day they started. But they had a tough trip through the Smokies that year and ended up staying in a motel in pigeon forge and spending a lot of their money. YOu never know what you are going to get at that time of year. But it can be good. have fun

Default Consider Pinhoti

I was thinking of leaving in January or February, but I'm leaning towards hiking the Alabama Pinhoti from 2 to 6 times, depending how much time I have. I could drive to Piedmont, and hike to Sylacauga and back in 2 weeks - 3 if I really take my time.

The elevation is lower, the climate is milder, and it was supposed to be the beginning of the AT anyway. I've already hiked it a couple times, and it's every bit as nice as the AT.

I dunno. I'm not making any concrete plans yet, but I don't like the Florida Trail much, so what other options are there for a winter hike with a 35 degree bag?

-dirtnap

Images

Default January Start

I am working on a plan to start early in January but can only go 30 to 45 days at a time. I have several medical follow-up exams that will force me to do my hike in segments. 30 to 45 days on and a couple weeks off etc till I get to Maine.

I did the GA Loop a couple of weeks ago and I hope to make 2007 my AT Thru-Hike year.

early start, get to walk with me, late start,...miss me.
    matthewski

we're starting in late feb, bring on the snow and cold

2007 hopeful

I've moved my date up due to timing issues ... I'll be joining the ranks on Feb. 20th.

I hate heat (that little old fat man thing go'in on). I do more backpacking in the winter than summer. Anyone out there have much info about possible winter thru hikes?
    geek

dirtnap, that is an interesting idea, to start in jan or feb, from near birmingham. i like it. have you figured logistics?

Another consideration for early starters - daylight. Those nights can get very long when it's dark from 5:30 pm to 7:30 a.m.

Winter hiking has better views through the trees, but no green, and no flowers. I really enjoyed the flowers along the AT.

thats a great point ginny. plus it would put me back where i didnt want to be. i dont want to be in the "crowd" leaving springer in the spring.

Talking Thur-Hike

Hi G.H.O.S.T My Name Is Jeff I plan on starting on Jan 18 2007
    I want to be able to take my time Plus i like the cold over the heat anyway plus you away get warm if you are carry the right type of cloths don't know if i spell that right. I look at this way you can alway get warm but you can alway get cool. Well hope to see you on the trail good luck to all the class of 2007 Only 71 Days left YEA!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Ice

It's not only the cold that makes early starts more challenging. Ice on the trail can be pretty tough sometimes. I took some pretty hard falls coming down off Clingman's Dome with snow packed trails. And that was early March.

Of course it was exceptionally cold and snowy in '05, but it was sure nice to finally see green grass near Damascus. I guess there are pro's and con's to both early and later starts. But if you are like me, trail fever will have you thinking of early rather than later.

Good luck on whenever you start.
    A man said to the universe, "Sir, I exist."
    "However", replied the universe, "that fact does not instill in me a sense of obligation."

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Jan Vs Apr

Quote Originally Posted by IAMTHELAW70 View Post
    anybody out the do a thru hike in jan or feb? anybody do both jan feb start and a mar apr start? positives,negatives?too hard to go in jan?

Most thru-hikers...(the main pack) start in March or April....
    the average time for a thru-hike is 6months....start when its convenient for YOU!

not only that.....JAN in Georgia, NC & TN...is soooooooooooo DAMN COLD!

good luck w/ yer hike!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Quote Originally Posted by IAMTHELAW70 View Post

I can't imagine a january start date. When I start a hike I'm usually not trail broken for about a week or so, and that makes the hike that much tougher. Throw in a january start date, and you've got a recipe for giving up.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++