WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Over 50?

Default Over 50?

Looking for AT section hikers in Georgia/Carolina area who are over 50 years young! I am slowly section hiking in this area.

Images

Sara, that group would include me! I just hiked Allen Gap to Sam's Gap this Columbus Day weekend, in your neck of the woods. Hope to do some more this Fall. Sometimes my wife accompanies me. This time it was my Bolivian exchange student "son."

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

The dinos are very slowly section hiking the AT - and are way over 50. In fact, some of our kids are pushing 50.
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 10-10-2006 at 08:04.

Images

I am not officially a section hiker of the AT but I do hike the AT, the Smokies,Mt Rogers area and others. Oh yeah over 50
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

I'll be section hiking the southern part of N.C. next spring (God willing) with my son. I hiked Georgia this spring. I hike at a pretty good clip for 50+, but could slow down to hike with someone else. I'll be parking at the Blueberry Patch, doing the northernmost section of Ga. and continuing into N.C. Probably in late March.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries

Let me know when you are up to the Northeast sections. I'd be interested in some 3-5 day hikes.

I am over fifty too.. Would like to do some more hiking...

Images

to WhiteBlaze. Love to hike in GA/TN/NC/VA.

Images

Yep, joined the over 50 crowd some while back. I'm just now beginning planning a section hike in the Smokies first week of November! Woo, hooo!

Given that it's taken me about ten years to go from Springer to Fontana, but I hike slower than you!

El Sordo
    Images

dunno about you kids, but us old guys also hike. i'm planning to extend my section hike from either Davenport Gap or Hot Springs next March, depending on how far I get this fall.

Sara,

Your name is a clever play on words. Care to tell us the story behind it?
    Roland

Default over 50

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Tonin View Post
    Looking for AT section hikers in Georgia/Carolina area who are over 50 years young! I am slowly section hiking in this area.
    I live northeast tn. kingsport send me a pm or e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Tonin View Post
    Hi Sara,

I am (barely) over 50 - but very immature. And, I am also sectioning the AT (until I retire, at which time I intend to walk the rest). I am interested in doing a good section this spring - possibly last week of March or 1st week of April - 10 days or so. Want to start at Unicoi and get to Franklin (or more if my feet last). I am experienced, having walked about for a long time, so I prefer some experience in my partner also. Also, if you've done any backpacking, you know your pace (or your morning routine) may not match your partner's, so that's a consideration, too.

If interested, lemme know.

br

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Almost 60. Hiked Hot Springs to Davenport Gap in May. A couple of surgeries have slowed me down but hope to make it to Damasus next spring/summer.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Growing older happens...growing up is optional....Yup I'm there too.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Images

This is Sara who?

On my next B Day I'll hit the big six-oh. I am a section hiker for now, but harbor dreams that maybe I'll do a thru after I retire. My wife comes on some hikes and not others. She likes to hike but likes it best in fair weather, and she doesn't seem as interested in a thru hike, at least at this point.

Stickman.

Section Hiking to Maine. little bear's Avatar
    Images

Sara Tonin is that the same Sara Tonin that section hiked with her husban in Georga last October? If so its little bear that hiked with Wild Bill, Peppers and Dui.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Journal Entries

Age 65 +. As a section hiker, it has taken me 3 years to make it from Amicalola to Franklin. I will begin at Franklin in early April 2007 for a hike to Fontana Dam and take one step into the GSMNP (saving that for my 66th). Inspired by reading Bryson's "Walk In The Woods" 5 years ago. I have also read every book written about the AT including AWOL's new book (I also have all the DVD's). NW Louisiana is not exactly prime hiking/backpacking area so the AT is my training ground. I also spend too much time on White Blaze but I am entertained by all the "Trail Legends", characters (famous or infamous) that prowl the site.

++ New Posts ++