WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Significance of white blazes?

Does they signify the purity of those hikers who stick to the white blazes and don't veer off to the nearest bar?

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

White light is a combination of all colors. I like to think of the AT's hikers as a melting pot of everything humanity has to offer.

Color of the blazes doesn't really matter. They just mark the path from one point to another. Are white blazes any better than blue? yellow? pink?

A blaze by another color would lead to the same vistas. And if there's a bar somewhere along the way, you can buy me a cold one.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobster View Post
    Does they signify the purity of those hikers who stick to the white blazes and don't veer off to the nearest bar?
    Nope. They just let hikers know where the trail is located, so they don't get lost.

White is easier to see than brown, like all the crap you're stirring up...

White is the most visible color under low light conditions.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I think they should be an LNT shade of DayGlo neon that also glows in the dark. Better visibility that way. Should probably put a clapper in them, too. Clap twice and a speaker says, "You're still on the trail." Maybe in conjunction with some trip wires to warn newbies when they leave the trail, too.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I don't care what color, shape, or location they are, as long as they're appear somewhat consistently. I really, really, really hate it when the blazing has been pretty good, and then suddenly it disappears and you're not really sure if there are other trails in the area.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    . . . Maybe in conjunction with some trip wires to warn newbies when they leave the trail, too.
    Gets my vote, but I'd like a second set of wires rigged to claymore mines to let the newbs know we're serious about the purity of our hike.

It's to keep the anal sheeple on a straight line to Mecca (Katahdin).

I once tried to follow a colorblind hiker on a trail with red blazes. He kept wandering off into the woods. To him, the blazes were about the same color as a tree trunk.

Default Isn't the story . . .

. . . that some guy had a can of white paint in his shed, and one day decided to go mark the trail near his house with it? So, by tradition, it's been white blazed (except there by Dartmouth).

It's not near as significant as the other theories here, though.

Images

Why is it white? Don't you people have lives?

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Smile It's always on our mind...

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Why is it white? Don't you people have lives?

The Weasel
    Our lives are on the trail...all the other stuff we do is just incidental to getting back on the trail!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Do the white blazes represent a racist idealogue by the trail blazing organizations?
    That made me laugh!
    The Most Important Things In Life Are Not Things....

The following is from my copy of the "Trail Manual For The Appalachian Trail", publication No. 1, forth edition, 1940 issued by The Appalachian Trail Conference (Incorporated) 901 Union Trust Building, Washington, D.C..

"The standard color of paint used on The Appalachian Trail is white. Experiments have demonstrated that a paint with a titanium oxide base has the greatest durability and presents a luminous appearence which aids in traveling in the evening hours.

General experience has shown that white is the most satisfactory color for trail marking. It has been stated that its distinctiveness is due to the fact that dead white is a color foreign to the woods. In some sections, by reason of local conditions, such as in areas of gray or canoe birch or quartzite rocks, the effectiveness of the white color is reduced somewhat. However, along the entire route, experience has demonstrated that white is the most effective color, resulting in its adoption as the standard for The Appalachian Trail."
    Sorry, nothing philosophicial or any deep meaning, just science.

I like the other explanations better. I'm becoming liberal now, so I don't need facts. (Sorry, couldn't resist... )

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    White is the most visible color under low light conditions.
    From my experience with winter hiking in NJ and NY, it seems that the white blaze somehow signals the snow which side of the tree to stick on.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    Experiments have demonstrated that a paint with a titanium oxide base has the greatest durability and presents a luminous appearence which aids in traveling in the evening hours.
    Of course, this only works when the local trail maintainer has taken the time to actually blaze the trail. [Sorry, I'm still a bit perturbed at the lousy blazing between Osgood Tentsite and the Mt. Washington Auto Road as the Trail takes a number of confusing turns without the benefit of any blazing to speak of. ]
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries
    Images

Default WHITE is the color!

"white is believed to signify life and purity..."

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/ia...dle/color2.htm

possibly because WHITE blazes show up better on trees!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++