WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hi Wolf, great thread. I am very passionate about your point C.
    Just Jeff and Peter Pan , multifunction is a key element and after playing with the JRB Stealth I am now waiting for the "Down to Earth" (my name for it) No Sniveler and pad combination.
    Highway, not having done a "trough hike" (yet) I can only comment on multidays walks, and you are spot on. I would suggest one or two extra "energy" bars , someone posted a recipe for a home made version that results in a 1000 calories bar +/- ( I am sorry but I cannot remember where I got that from) I made my own and eight months later the remaining one tasted as fresh as the day it was made ( lots of different nuts,dates,honey,olive oil,sesame seeds, protein). Just one bar will be a good meal substitute.
    The cold water bit, yes it does make a difference, just look at any fuel efficiency tests.
    In a similar way, if you use standard "dry" food not the "freeze dried" it helps if you add some water to it as you hike ( put your dinner veggies and meat with about half of the water required, usually half of the volume, in a Lexan container after lunch and add the other half at dinner, the boil time required will be a lot less).
    A hot cap before going to bed, for example hot chocolate made with the normally drained water from veggies/pasta (use full cream milk powder) will give you a good start and avoid the need to have extra clothing with the often resulting cycle of sweating /shivering ( you sweat,soak your base layer and bag and then get cold from the resulting evaporation)
    Franco

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    doesn't cold water boil faster though??? (wolf's comment)
    Only if it is under pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    .... I am now waiting for the "Down to Earth" (my name for it) No Sniveler and pad combination.
    I've been toying with the idea of making two No Snivler type quilts that can be zipped together (dinos like to snuggle ) and attached to the pads to prevent the draft problems we ground-dwellers often experience. Have any of you UL hikers done something similar?
    .........someone posted a recipe for a home made version that results in a 1000 calories bar +/- ( I am sorry but I cannot remember where I got that from) I made my own and eight months later the remaining one tasted as fresh as the day it was made ( lots of different nuts,dates,honey,olive oil,sesame seeds, protein). Just one bar will be a good meal substitute.
    I must have this recipe.
    The cold water bit, yes it does make a difference, just look at any fuel efficiency tests.
    In a similar way, if you use standard "dry" food not the "freeze dried" it helps if you add some water to it as you hike ( put your dinner veggies and meat with about half of the water required, usually half of the volume, in a Lexan container after lunch and add the other half at dinner, the boil time required will be a lot less).
    I often clean my breakfast pot by adding enough water to re-hydrate my lunch and bringing it to a boil. I put this in a Ziploc Twist Loc container and it only needs to be reheated at lunchtime (or is cooled completely if it is a cold-serve food). I repeat the process with our dinner food if it is dried.
    A hot cap before going to bed, for example hot chocolate made with the normally drained water from veggies/pasta (use full cream milk powder) will give you a good start and avoid the need to have extra clothing with the often resulting cycle of sweating /shivering ( you sweat,soak your base layer and bag and then get cold from the resulting evaporation)
    A hot drink before bed is wonderful. Unfortunately, we must eat several hours before bedtime (male dino has GERD) so using the drained water from dinner isn't possible (he must finish all eating and drinking at least two hours before retiring).

Franco, have you had any problem with the oil in full-cream powdered milk going rancid in warm conditions? I've been using the non-fat version (and adding liquid oil) due to concerns about this.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    doesn't cold water boil faster though??? (wolf's comment)

I'd love to hear the physics behind THAT!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'd love to hear the physics behind THAT!
    getting off-topic here.... my memory from high school science is that hot water will freeze faster than room temp water because the molecules are further apart...in high school I worked for my uncle's furniture store - we used to hook up refrigerator ice makers to the hot water supply because the water was filtered through the hot water heater, and it used less energy to freeze.... don't recall cold water boiling faster tho......
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Images

To save fuel...do not watch your pot when trying to boil water.

It is a fact that a watched pot takes way longer to boil...if ever.

Franco, have you had any problem with the oil in full-cream powdered milk going rancid in warm conditions? I've been using the non-fat version (and adding liquid oil) due to concerns about this.[/size][/font][/quote]

I only do overnighters and two to five day trips so I have had no problem with full cream powdered milk on the trail, even at 35c plus (90f +). It will go off after a couple of months at home, occasionally I forget that I have some left in the kitchen, the non-fat variety lasted longer but I prefer the taste of full cream plus it gives me some extra fat to burn off. Milk powder is an important part of my trail diet, as is olive oil and Parmesan cheese ( the real stuff lasts for weeks outside the fridge, car camping experience). I think that we have here those Zip lock containers, will check them out. The Nalgene is heavy but I also occasionally use it for "boil in the bag" style cooking, I have had mixed results with the bags (corner failure). The only dietary problem I have is with MSG, after a couple of bad attacks , last year,I realised that MSG is almost as common as salt in so many foods. So now my meals in the bush have simpler basic ingredients, my own dried meats,dried beans/mushrooms/corn/potatoes, cous-cous/ramen/pasta/rice, and some condiments (herbs and spices). A favorite treat is my dried apples coated with cinnamon and sugar.
    Franco

Default Hiking Tips

Here is my philosophy. Take a typical thruhike. Take a typical 24 hours, or a day of hiking. What are you doing most? In my opinion, it is 1) walking with a pack on your back (8 - 10 hrs) and 2) sleeping (8 + hours). I intend to be most comfortable during the times in which I am spending the most...time. So don't skimp on walking attire/gear and don't skimp on sleeping gear. You need to sleep well. And the Packa is the best thing for walking with a pack on in the rain or cold. So take my advice and buy a Packa. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/imag...lies/smile.gif

CT

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

[QUOTE=Franco;285980]Hi Wolf, great thread. I am very passionate about your point C.
    Just Jeff and Peter Pan , multifunction is a key element and after playing with the JRB Stealth I am now waiting for the "Down to Earth" (my name for it) No Sniveler and pad combination.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]

Franco,

The "Down to Earth" JRB Combo... the ultimate in multifunctional gear is now available... Just introduced today, the missing piece, the JRB Pad Converter ... Check it out ... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Pad.htm

Pan
    Last edited by peter_pan; 12-15-2006 at 22:16.
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

:banana One less item

Hi Pan
    OK, soon I will be able to suggest leaving the puffy jacket at home and to wear the quilt instead.
    Thanks
    Franco

Smile All quilt lovers

Leave the quilts at home. This thread was place on the Ultra-light form intended to keep your equipment just that ultra-light. A quilt weight is the same if not heavier than a sleeping bag. I'm sure most of us leave the sleeping bag at home too.

Wolf

Elsewhere, in a " walking naked" thread I suggested exfoliating before the start to save some extra grams. Now , that is a practical tip....
    Franco

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I did find that quilts were lighter and more comfortable than sleeping bags, and that one can easily wrap up in a quilt while eating, or just sitting and hanging out, making most clothing unnessecary.

Leave the sleeping bag at home? During what season, and what is your general strategy for sleeping comfortably?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    I did find that quilts were lighter and more comfortable than sleeping bags, and that one can easily wrap up in a quilt while eating, or just sitting and hanging out, making most clothing unnessecary.

Leave the sleeping bag at home? During what season, and what is your general strategy for sleeping comfortably?
    Scott,

A desent sleeping bags start around a pound now. Does your quilt weigh less than a pound. And less face it, sleeping bags are highly over rated during the summer. Yea I been snow on a few time too in the summer without a sleeping bag hiking the PCT. Big Deal. Are you going out there to hike and see nature or are you going out there to spend in a bag?

Wolf

"Must be getting early, Clocks are Running Late" The Doctor's Avatar

Cold water will heat faster b/c the heat transfer coefficient will be higher for the colder water. Unfortunately, as the water heats up the the heat transfer coefficient will drop down. In laymans terms: Warm water will boil faster than cold water. Even though cold water will heat faster than warm water(at that cold temp), it still will have to be heated to and past the warm water.

Images

Three tips:

1) Premix all food into one ziploc per meal.
    2) Drink water only instead of coffee, tea, which are diuretic and have weight to carry
    3) Remove all clothing tags

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    getting off-topic here.... my memory from high school science is that hot water will freeze faster than room temp water because the molecules are further apart...in high school I worked for my uncle's furniture store - we used to hook up refrigerator ice makers to the hot water supply because the water was filtered through the hot water heater, and it used less energy to freeze.... don't recall cold water boiling faster tho......
    Another theory behind this is that hot water will evaporate during the freezing process leaving less to freeze and thus a faster freeze time.

Unfortunately I have never heard about the cold water boiling under pressure.

Anyone have a pressure cooker?

"A favorite treat is my dried apples coated with cinnamon and sugar.
    Franco"

Yes a VERY tasty treat!! I dehydrate a lot of goodies and peaches with a sweet lemon syrup make an awesome treat.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dingus Khan View Post
    Another theory behind this is that hot water will evaporate during the freezing process leaving less to freeze and thus a faster freeze time.

Unfortunately I have never heard about the cold water boiling under pressure.

Anyone have a pressure cooker?
    Yes. The higher the pressure in the pressure cooker(pressure goes up as water nears and reaches the boiling point - partial pressure and all that gas law stuff) the higher the temperature needed to make it boil. That's why they use them at high altitudes - water boils at too low a temperature to easily cook many foods. Anyone who's lived out west at high elevations in ski country can attest to the increased cook time for pasta, rice, etc.

A good explanation of pressure cookers at http://home.howstuffworks.com/question63.htm

But, in ANY comparison, given equal masses of water and the same conditions, cold water requires more energy and takes longer to boil - PERIOD.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Resupply often. --Did a 10day carry. Totally unnecessary, I still had the same amount of hair growth before and after this event.

Never short yourself on food--aka don't try to go ultralight on your food.

Try to drink a quart of water when you wakeup-it'll cut back on the amount you're hoarding throughout the day.

Drink, eat, and piss before going up the big hill.

A trashbag can do a lot of things.

Gatorade bottles are 25% the weight/cost of the lexan/nalgenes and plenty durable.

Esbit tabs and small cookfires have been underrated-consider them.

Use colored ditty bags in a one compartment bag versus a multi-comparment backpack with all the zippers.

umbrellas and windjackets are extremely underrated.
    See ya when I get there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++