WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default GA AT logistics question

For next spring's section, I was planning on doing Neel's Gap to Dick's Creek Gap. Parking, easy access, lodging, beer, etc. But after knocking out the Approach to Neel's last year(40Miles) with little to no problem, I know we could have done more miles. My question: if I decided to do Neel's Gap to the first place in NC where a shuttle could pick me up, where would that be? I have all the books and info at home. I guess this is more of a "shuttles" thread, so I'll also post it there.

Thanks,

Bigben

1. The "cheapest" shuttle would probably be to hike to the GA/NC border and then backtrack back to Dicks Creek Gap. Depends on where you shuttler is coming from.

2. The closest place to get picked up in NC would be at Deep Gap on USFS 71.

3. The closest place to get picked up without using a FS road would be at Standing Indian Campground. Hike the blue blazed Kimsey Creek Trail from Deep Gap to the Campground.

If I remember right, it's like 10 miles from Dick's Creek Gap to the GA/NC border. How far is it from there to Deep Gap at USFS 71? Which shuttle services do you know for a fact go there?

Bigben

Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    If I remember right, it's like 10 miles from Dick's Creek Gap to the GA/NC border. How far is it from there to Deep Gap at USFS 71? Which shuttle services do you know for a fact go there?

Bigben
    8.6 Dicks Creek to GA/NC border
    7.0 GA/NC border to Deep Gap
    3.7 Deep Gap to Standing Indian Campground via Kimsey Creek

I've never had to use a shuttler down south; I would check with Ron Haven out of Franklin (posts here under forum name tiamalle) who I believe has taken other hikers to FS roads if I needed a shuttle in this area.

FWIW, I've parked my car at Deep Gap many times for day hikes and weekend trips without incident, however, if I was going to out for longer than that I would personally feel safer leaving my car at the campground. Need to ask permission. This is in the campground NOT the hikers parking outside of the campground.

Images

We just did Dick's creek to Standing Indian Campground this weekend. It was a fairly easy two day, one night hike. We left our car in the back country parking at Standing Indian Campground (no cost).

If you do go all the way to the campground, be careful trying to stay on the Kimsey Creek trail. It starts in a parking area at Deep Gap and shorlty leads to another parking area. THe trail then ducks back into the woods near the end of the second parking area. It is not marked well and is usually kind of grown up. Just look realy close, to the right, and the end of the second parking area. Do not continue down the forest road.
    Stumpy

You can never go wrong with butter or bacon!!!!

That would add 19.3 miles to my trip, or one to two more hiking days. We'll see how much time I get off. It would be nice to be totally done with GA, which would be my first state 100% done.

++ New Posts ++