WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

I so wanted to join in this hike but I'm going to be towing a U-Haul full of furniture to Richmond VA to stock the oldest daughters' new house and watch her do a little running.

There are all kinds of campsites around 3 Forks north of the road crossing.

When you turn onto the Benton Mac / Duncan Ridge Trails you'll soon climb up to a wildlife clearing - a large pasture planted to attract wildlife. This is not the place to walk in quietly and inconspicuously. Be loud and be showing bright orange. From the middle of the pasture (the trail bisects it) you can see Springer if you have a map & compass to know where to look. There's a steep drop down from that summit then the hardest climb of that day's hike up a washed-out trail, no switchbacks. After that you'll just be rolling along the ridge and the trail will bypass the summits of the the tallest mountains. Bryson Gap is a nice stop, check out the campsite there on the opposite side of the spring for future consideration.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Another bit of trivia: That beautiful "pasture" is also maintained as a practice LZ (landing zone) for Army choppers out of Mosby field...but that's not usually a problem unless you camp there (not recommended) or your tent may get wrinkled at 3 am when they alight

El Sordo
    Images

sorry to hear that you can't make it, Dances. I was looking forward to seeing you again.

does anyone have anything like a common meeting/camping spot for Saturday night? any intention of all being together or are we just going to pick different spots along the BMT and enjoy each other in passing.

i'm not suggesting that we should or should not all camp together, i just wondered if i'd missed something in passing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    sorry to hear that you can't make it, Dances. I was looking forward to seeing you again.

does anyone have anything like a common meeting/camping spot for Saturday night? any intention of all being together or are we just going to pick different spots along the BMT and enjoy each other in passing.

i'm not suggesting that we should or should not all camp together, i just wondered if i'd missed something in passing.
    Generoll, I think the plan is to meet at Three Forks on Saturday morning. ALhikergal and a couple of others are hiking the BMT over to Three Forks on Friday the rest will meet them there on Saturday morning. I haven't heard Alhikergal say a time but I would think it would be best to try to leave out hiking by 9:00 am. It would give us plenty of time to get there and set up and cook before dark. We can camp right by the river and there are plenty of good camping for everyone.

Alhikergal if you have other plans let us know. It really don't matter to me just however yall want to do it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    I so wanted to join in this hike but I'm going to be towing a U-Haul full of furniture to Richmond VA to stock the oldest daughters' new house and watch her do a little running.

There are all kinds of campsites around 3 Forks north of the road crossing.

When you turn onto the Benton Mac / Duncan Ridge Trails you'll soon climb up to a wildlife clearing - a large pasture planted to attract wildlife. This is not the place to walk in quietly and inconspicuously. Be loud and be showing bright orange. From the middle of the pasture (the trail bisects it) you can see Springer if you have a map & compass to know where to look. There's a steep drop down from that summit then the hardest climb of that day's hike up a washed-out trail, no switchbacks. After that you'll just be rolling along the ridge and the trail will bypass the summits of the the tallest mountains. Bryson Gap is a nice stop, check out the campsite there on the opposite side of the spring for future consideration.
    Yeah DWM, Bryson Gap is a nice place to camp but when I was there in July it seems that the ATV's have found it and they kind of like it too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTrail View Post
    Excuse the interruption, trying to help out W6FO:

Springer shelter is 0.9 mile south of the FS42/Springer parking lot.
    Friday morning, they will be hiking north from the Springer shelter and should pass right through the Springer parking lot on the way to Three Forks. So if you just wait at the FS42/Springer parking lot they should walk by some 20 minutes after they leave the shelter.

Hope this helps, have a fine hike!
    Not positive but I thought Alhikergal said they were doing the BMT to three Forks. If so they won't be coming back through the Springer parking lot on Friday morning.

Duh! My bad...I should stay out of this, was trying to help W6FO and I still get it fouled up!

Yes indeed, post #1 says "BMT" not "AT" , Mountain Man is correct. The two trails intertwine somewhat, I apologize...I'm over and OUT!
    Have a great hike!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTrail View Post
    Duh! My bad...I should stay out of this, was trying to help W6FO and I still get it fouled up!

Yes indeed, post #1 says "BMT" not "AT" , Mountain Man is correct. The two trails intertwine somewhat, I apologize...I'm over and OUT!
    Have a great hike!
    Ain't no thang. Come out and join us if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I haven't heard Alhikergal say a time but I would think it would be best to try to leave out hiking by 9:00 am.
    The earlier we can get on the trail the better, IMO. Again, I haven't been on the trail in quite awhile and don't want to hold up the group. We need to maximize daylight. It's 6:30 here now in Canton, GA not very far from the trail.

- JT
    SOBO one of these years!

More babble from me..

What is the trail like between Three Forks and the bridge?

- JT
    SOBO one of these years!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by W6FO View Post
    More babble from me..

- JT
    Dances with Mice decribed it pretty well in the above post.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by W6FO View Post
    More babble from me..

- JT
    If your wanting to know about how difficult the hike is, well I don't think it's to hard at all, but it ain't flat thats for sure. Maybe moderate. On the other hand if your not used to hiking it might be considered difficult. Whats easy to one can be difficult to another.

Images

Just some quick info on the shuttle... Based on 7 people being picked up at Hwy 60 & the BMT and being driven back to (group A=to Three Forks) and (group B=to Springer/FS42) would come to about $14pp.

As long as there are 7 being shuttled, that price will stay the same. If the number drops, the p.p. price will increase slightly...

So far I count:
    ALHikerGal
    Ewker
    Eman
    Mtn Man
    Generoll
    Skids
    Big Maguro
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

ok maybe I am missing something. I thought Mountain Man was taking us back to the parking lot at the park. I also thought a shuttle would be done with the people who had already driven to Springer/FS42 Thurs/Friday/Sat
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

OHHHHH soooo much confusion!!! (not you Ewk!)

Im parking at FS42/Springer.

Thought Mtn Man was meeting you and eman and whomever at AFSP and driving you to the Three Forks meeting site.

We still need a ride back from Hwy 60 once we get there Sunday.

(thats my take on the situation anyways)

Images

that is fine. I doesn't matter which way we do it. I just rarely carry money on a trip. I use a card instead.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    ok maybe I am missing something. I thought Mountain Man was taking us back to the parking lot at the park. I also thought a shuttle would be done with the people who had already driven to Springer/FS42 Thurs/Friday/Sat
    Yeah Ewker, I'll take yall back to the park. And as Alhikergal said we just need a shuttle from hwy. 60. back to Three Forks and Springer or we could probably make room to get those with cars parked at Springer and drop them off on the way. Either way works for me.

El Sordo
    Images

my daughter and son in law may be with me, in which case it would be two more. we are considering parking at three forks either late Friday night or Saturday morning. anyone know anything about that place as far as parking? is the shuttle vehicle large enough to handle a couple more?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    my daughter and son in law may be with me, in which case it would be two more. we are considering parking at three forks either late Friday night or Saturday morning. anyone know anything about that place as far as parking? is the shuttle vehicle large enough to handle a couple more?
    All the HikerHostel needs to know is 'how many.' (thats all they asked for anyways...) and in my initial emails to them, I stated anywhere from 3 -10 hikers and they never said 'no.'

Hope your family can make it GR!

Hi, ALHG if I can get my heater core replaced b4 next Fri I will make the trip and I can leave my van at 60.
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++