WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Millinocket hostel/shuttle situation?

What's the latest info on hiker friendly private lodging (not motels) and shuttle services in Millinocket? Any experiences this season to share with others? Thanks.
    "Live, Agnes, LIVE!"

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default Appalachian Inn

I don't know if they are taking hikers and helping with shuttles right now.... but I have heard that there will be a changing of the guard there next year. Some great people will be taking over there and it will be a very hiker friendly place with great services for sure.

Hi Wilder,
    The AT Lodge is still open, they put up Dogwood in Earl Shaffer's old room the other day. I too heard the place was sold, but here's still a for-sale-by-owner sign up near the door. The only local shuttle is Minuteman Taxi, dependable and knowledgable. Phone #s, etc at: http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Hi Wilder,
    The AT Lodge is still open, they put up Dogwood in Earl Shaffer's old room the other day. I too heard the place was sold, but here's still a for-sale-by-owner sign up near the door. The only local shuttle is Minuteman Taxi, dependable and knowledgable. Phone #s, etc at: http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm
    Didn't MS catch a bus to Gorham? If so, How often does the bus come through?

The Appalachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket has a website.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    Didn't MS catch a bus to Gorham? If so, How often does the bus come through?
    Nevermind. I found the info. Taxi to Medway and bus from there, once a day it looks like, to Bangor.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Hi Wilder,
    The AT Lodge is still open, they put up Dogwood in Earl Shaffer's old room the other day. I too heard the place was sold, but here's still a for-sale-by-owner sign up near the door.
    I stayed in the ATL when I finished up on the 6th. The owner said that the sale is 'almost guaranteed'. It's not a sure thing yet, but he has no doubts that the sale will go through. He also said that the buyers are buying with the intent to keep running it as an AT hostel, so things shouldn't be changing too much.

The only local shuttle is Minuteman Taxi, dependable and knowledgable. Phone #s, etc at: http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm
    The taxi, apparently, will also run errands for you. Danger called them from the Blue Ox and had them bring him cigarettes.

The couple who help us every Spring (Paul and Jamie) have the contract on the Lodge. The financing has been approved and the closing is supposed to be May 1 when the current owners return from thier wintering in Florida.
    Paul and Jamie have been a great help to us and will do a great job with their own place.
    Profile '00
    www.hikerhostel.com

Images

Is that Paul, as in Old Man? I recall he was a New England native, but didn't think he's want to leave Georgia to return to our chilly corner of the world.

Section hikers, 900+ miles, donating members anneandbenhike's Avatar
    Images

I met Paul and Jamie at the Hike Inn at Fontana about two weeks ago the night before I started my Smokies Hike. They are buying it in partnership with their son and daughter (in-law maybe) and plan to operate the inn and the restaurant. They were busy learning all they could from Jeff and Nancy at Hike Inn. They will take posession of the place on May 1, 2007.

Images

Again, is Paul in fact Old Man, does anyone know? Don't know him well, but he did give me my trail name and he is a Mass. native (if I remember right), so, well, I guess I just plain like the guy and wish him well on this, if I'm thinking of the same person.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    Again, is Paul in fact Old Man, does anyone know?
    Yes, in fact. He is.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Awesome! He's a wealth of knowledge. SOBOs will benefit from having him up there at the start of their hikes.

Images

What a great move! Millinocket needs some new energy and I hope the town will welcome Paul and Jamie. I will.

Images

Great news We look forward to staying there the first week in Aug. when we finish our Thru. We also look forward to those beers on top of White Cap, Strong work on signing our Guest book Mr. FlybyMike. See Ya on White Cap, Butch
    A toast to the ones that don't fit in.

Images

Yes Butch, I'll be following you in your journal and looking for ya around the last week of July.

++ New Posts ++