WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Been there, done that 1happyhiker's Avatar
    Images

Post Cant miss spots in VA, NC, SC, TN

im in the triad but im not afraid to drive to see things/hike. so what are the end all to be all's of the surrounding areas. ive been going to the smokies since i was a kid, kinda my "cave" if you will. ive done the whole cade's, gburg and that thing. ive been driving around as much as i can, new to work, area, etc. watching the leaves turn around here.

so what spots do i put on my say top 10 list of things to see in the next 6 mos. they dont have to be hiking specific but thats always a plus. things within a 5-6 hour drive of the triad is a good start.

post away, stories, pics, etc.

thx

-hh
    Politically incorrect.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Grayson Highlands State Park in VA - wild ponies, near the AT and Mt Rogers, has a waterfall hike. Combine with 18 mile bike ride down to Damascus.

Hammock Beach State Park, NC - primitive camping right on the beach. This is a wildlife preserve so special rules apply (the only one you need to know ahead of time is to bring a red covering for lantern or flashlight). A loggerhead sea turtle nested maybe 30 ft from my tent last time I was there. If you canoe or kayak, there are water trails just for this activity. Fantastic wildlife.

Images

also roan mtn/ carvers gap to 19e going over jane bald, round bald, stay at overmountain shelter, then little hump mtn, hump mtn (also balds) and watch out for the longhorns on the houston ridge. see my website below for pics and longhorn story. and if you can stay one more night, or stay there a night when you go up, stay at mountain harbor b&b/hostel, you can park your car and they will shuttle you up to carvers gap.

hanna
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

Default Old Rag Mountain, White Oak Canyon in Virginia

Even though it is off of the AT, Old Rag still remains one of my favorite day hikes in Viriginia. http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Old_Rag_Mt_0000.asp
    Just try to go during the week not on a week end. This trail gets a lot of traffic. If you like waterfalls another favorite of mine (and in the same basic area as Old Rag) is the White Oak Canyon Cedar Run Loop. http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Whit...arRun_0000.asp

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

The AT around Roanoke provides easy access to Dragon's Tooth and McAfee Knob. Tinkers Cliffs is a long day hike from Daleville, with views to Catawba Mountain.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Do something different. Backpack in and camp by the ocean at False Cape State Park, VA.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

for the best of SC: do the foothills trail
    for the best of TN: hike the AT through it
    for the best of NC: spend some time at the outerbanks
    for the best of VA: do a bunch of different loop hikes in SW VA
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

hobbs cabin at savage gulf in tn. neo

http://www.friendsofscsra.org/hiking.htm

Is it raining yet?
    Images

McAfee's Knob is the single greatest spot in the state of VA.

As for NC, the Blue Ridge Pkwy is just phenominal, with it's pleasant driving, endless overlooks, and countless short hikes - an oh - you can visit Mt. Mitchell too, which is super cool (anytime of year)
    Be Prepared

Images

thx to everyone for the replies. i try to hike at least twice a month, even thru the cold months. i dont get much time off so i try to maximize it and have some type direction.

also, i hear so many different takes on the weather here. in general what has it been like in this area? one of my 80 y/o patients said this area is due for a big snow storm. i tend to believe him over paid meteorologist.

thx again for the help.

-hh
    Politically incorrect.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1happyhiker View Post
    thx to everyone for the replies. i try to hike at least twice a month, even thru the cold months. i dont get much time off so i try to maximize it and have some type direction.

also, i hear so many different takes on the weather here. in general what has it been like in this area? one of my 80 y/o patients said this area is due for a big snow storm. i tend to believe him over paid meteorologist.

thx again for the help.

-hh
    True we are due for a big snow in VA but the forecasts were calling for a mild winter. Wetter on the coast but not as much precipitation inland.

VA is known to have its cold and warm spells. I've seen it fifties for Christmas. I've seen six inch snow falls that melt in a day. I've also seen some bad sleet storms. Rarely does it dip to zero. Maybe we get one cold blast like that a season where it drops to single digits. Most days are at least above freezing. But honestly, there is no way to predict it.

Best bet is to plan and see what happens. We did a tour of the Civil War sites in VA last Feb - it was chilly, in the forties but the weather was fine (just a little rain).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Talking

that is what they are saying here as well. im a little torn, i signed a contract on a home today. a lot of me hopes for 80s thru march so they can bust a move and get it built. a little of me would like to see a little of the white stuff. they should get concrete poured in the next week and a half. dunno, first home jitters. thanks for the info, really want to get out and explore the east cost more than i have.

-hh
    Politically incorrect.

Images

old farmers almanac says that it will be a bad winter.
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Me and Belew are doing an overnighter/loop in Mt. Rogers/Grayson this Saturday. Anybody wanna come? Gonna park at Elk Garden and go from there.

Professional Delivery Boy Emeritus Belew's Avatar
    Images

It'll be great to get back to the Highlands Wolf. One food purchase, 2 days of work, a live show and I'll be ready!

1happyhiker,

There are some good places very close to the Triad to hike when you can only get out for the day. Last weekend I made it to Stone Mountain on Saturday and Hanging Rock State Park on Sunday. Stone Mountain is around a hour drive and Hanging rock even less.
    Last edited by Belew; 10-19-2006 at 19:43.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Me and Belew are doing an overnighter/loop in Mt. Rogers/Grayson this Saturday. Anybody wanna come? Gonna park at Elk Garden and go from there.
    Hey LW,
    Make that offer in July or August of 07 after I get back from Iraq and I'll take you up on it. Have a good hike.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    sry, thx for the offer. going to linville gorge on sat/sun. feel free to pm me any time if there's a trip.

-hh
    Politically incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by 1happyhiker View Post
    sry, thx for the offer. going to linville gorge on sat/sun. feel free to pm me any time if there's a trip.

-hh
    will do. most certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    Hey LW,
    Make that offer in July or August of 07 after I get back from Iraq and I'll take you up on it. Have a good hike.

Furlough
    We'll make a point to get with you next August. Stay safe, watch your ass, your brothers asses, and get home. God bless.

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    Hey LW,

Furlough
    what branch? i was army from (92-04), spent time in iraq and afghanistan. keep your head down and come home safe. brews are on me when you get back.

-hh
    Politically incorrect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++