WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How do YOU pronounce "Appalachian"?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How do YOU pronounce "Appalachian"?

Do you say "App-uh-latch-un" (3rd syllable sounds like door "Latch") or "App-uh-lay-shun" (3rd syllable sounds like "Lays" potato chips).

I use the door latch pronounciation (probably because I grew up in the NC foothills) but my better half uses the potato chip version (she is a Southern Belle from the deep south).
    I used to think it was a North/South thing, but I dunno...what do you think?

I would like to post a poll, but I can't figure out how.

Oops, I see how to do the poll now, have at it!

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

I love it when people correct me - I pronounce it with the Lays sound - One of my students corrected me in class - boy did I have fun with her!
    So be it.
    --John

I actually switch back and forth without really thinking about it. This doesn't appear to be an option, though, so I went with 'grunt'.

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

I pronounce it "Appalachian"......

When talking to people that should know what I'm talking about I just say A.T. Otherwise, `tater chips!

I have always maintained that the people who live in a place pronounce it correctly. In these parts, it's "Ap-pa-LATCH-un." Always has been. There is a state university in Boone by that name.

Anything else brands you a flatlander tourist.

When Earl Shaffer said it, it sounded like "apple-at-chin".
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    I pronounce it "Appalachian"......
    I'll second that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    When Earl Shaffer said it, it sounded like "apple-at-chin".

Cause despite being a yankee, Earl knew what was right.

Here is a snippet from a book I read, it explains it in a way that most folks that hike can understand.

One of my favorite authors is Sharyn McCrumb. She is originally from around Boone, but she normally writes about a fictitious town around east Tennessee called Hamlin which is based on Erwin according to her. In one of her books “The Songcatcher” there is a scene where an AT hiker is at a hostel up on the NC boarder (sounds sort of like Hot Springs) and the hostel owner Baird is talking to a yankee AT hiker with the trail name Eeyore and the subject of pronunciation comes up. It is one of the best ways I have ever seen the subject presented:

“Interesting part of the country. Lots of stories.”

“Lots of Celtic bloodlines in the people here. Stories is what we do.”

“Well, I’ll he interested to hear some stories. This is my first visit to Appa-lay-chia.”

Baird said gently, “Well, folks in these parts call it Appa-latch- a.”

Eeyore shrugged, as if the information did not interest him. “In New York we say Appa—lay-chia.”

Baird had this conversation rather often, too, and in this round he was less inclined to he charitable. The statement We say it that way back home sounded like a reasonable argument unless you realized that it was not a privilege Easterners granted to anyone other than themselves. If a Texan visiting New York pronounced “Houston Street” the same way that Texans pronounce the name of their city back home, he would he instantly corrected by a New Yorker, and probably derided for his provincial ignorance. But here in rural America, the privilege of local pronunciation was revoked. Here, if there was any difference of opinion about a pronunciation, Eastern urbanites felt that their way was the correct one, or at least an equally accept able option. One of Baird Christopher’s missions in life was to set arrogant tourists straight about matters like this.

“You know,” he said to Eeyore, gearing up to his lecture in genial conversational tones. “Over in Northern Ireland once I visited a beautiful walled city that lies east of Donegal and west of Belfast. Now, for the last thousand years or so the Irish people who built that city have called it Derry, a name from darach, which is the Gaelic word for ‘oak tree.’ But the British, who conquered Ireland a few hundred years back, they refer to that same city as Londonderry. One place: two names.

“If you go to Ireland, and you ask for directions to that city, you can call it by either name you choose. Whichever name you say, folks will know where it is you’re headed and most likely they’ll help you get there. But you need to understand this: When you choose what name you call that city--- Derry or Londonderry- -you are making a political decision. You are telling the people you’re talking to which side you’re on, what cultural values you hold, and maybe even your religious preference. You are telling some people that they can trust you and other people that they can’t. All in one word. One word with a load of signifiers built right in.

Now, I reckon Appalachia is a word like that. The way people say it tells us a lot about how they think about us. When we hear somebody say Appa-lay-chia we know right away that the person we’re listening to is not on our side, and we hear a whole lot of cultural nuances about stereotyping and condescension and ethnic bigotry, just built right in. So you go on and call this place Appa-lay-chia if you want to. But you need to know that by doing that you have made a po-li-ti-cal decision, and you better be prepared to live with the consequences. Friend.

Eeyore blinked at him anti took a deep breath. “Appa-latch-ah?” he said.

“That’s right,” said Baird. “Appa-latch-ah. Say it a tune or two and you’ll get the hang of it. Pretty Soon any other way of saying it will grate on your ears.”

Another long pause. Eeyore peered at his smiling host, who had gone back to shelling peas and humming an Irish dance tune. “Who are you?”

Baird Christopher smiled. “Why, I’m a cosmic possum.”

McCrumb, Sharyn.” The Songcatcher”. New York, NY, Penguin Putnam, 2001.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

This problem with pronunciation was solved years ago when it was decided that north of the Mason Dixon Line it should be pronounced with a "lay"... South of the Mason Dixon Line it should be pronounced with a "latch". If you don't believe me then check out the notice inside the restrooms at the ATC in Harpers Ferry. There you will find the proclamation posted for all to see... I just don't know who decided it!

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by littlelaurel59 View Post
    I have always maintained that the people who live in a place pronounce it correctly. In these parts, it's "Ap-pa-LATCH-un." Always has been. There is a state university in Boone by that name.
    Based on my experience that too many people who live near the AT mispronounce so many other words that I would'n use this as a standard.

There's no such thing as a crik...
    Be Prepared

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Janet View Post
    This problem with pronunciation was solved years ago when it was decided that north of the Mason Dixon Line it should be pronounced with a "lay"... South of the Mason Dixon Line it should be pronounced with a "latch". If you don't believe me then check out the notice inside the restrooms at the ATC in Harpers Ferry. There you will find the proclamation posted for all to see... I just don't know who decided it!
    Exactly right. I was about to post nearly the same words.

So, it's "latch" then, right? :-)

I grew up in West Virginia. If you don't pronounce it right, I'll throw an apple atcha!

Stickman

Default pronounciation of the Appalachian Trail

I gotta say..it just sears (burns) my ears when ever I hear someone speaking of the Appa-latch-in trail.

From Ct. to Maine..and places in between with mountains way more serious than anything south of there... it is always pronounced Appalay shun trail or occassionally appa lay tchin trail.

appa-latch-in trail just sounds wrong. And pronouncing it that way would label you as some backwoods southern hick..at least to my ears. Amd probably to the ears of anyone living north of Tennessee!

Davud

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    I gotta say..it just sears (burns) my ears when ever I hear someone speaking of the Appa-latch-in trail.

From Ct. to Maine..and places in between with mountains way more serious than anything south of there... it is always pronounced Appalay shun trail or occassionally appa lay tchin trail.

appa-latch-in trail just sounds wrong. And pronouncing it that way would label you as some backwoods southern hick..at least to my ears. Amd probably to the ears of anyone living north of Tennessee!

Davud
    It means"for ever"take a long time trying it each way

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Based on my experience that too many people who live near the AT mispronounce so many other words that I would'n use this as a standard.

Sure there is. I got one out beside my house. Sometimes I get one in my neck

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post

Just like there is no such thing as a Caa, draa, and earl is a title, not something that goes in your caa.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

I'm with Miss Janet in saying that how it's pronounced all depends on where you are.

It was strange hearing the way you southerners pronounced it (ya, I made fun of it to the folks back home sometimes), but while I was there it sounded just about right. As soon as I got north, it went back to appa-lay-shun, and that felt just about right, too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post

Davud
    And it just burns our ears to hear someone say it the other way. But I reckon we all ought to just change down south to make the yankees feel better and not offend their delicate ears

I guess having most of the 6,000' plus peaks in the south means we don't have any of the serious mountains down south. Classic.

I wonder how you pronounce Appalachee when it comes to the Indian tribe? Or Appalachicola, FL? Or the Appalahicola river? Hmmmm Do you note some dual standard in how it is done up north?
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++