WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Specific Food items in mail drops ?

Okay, to get away from the hiker dude and babe contests and back to 2007 logistics, he -

What kinds of foods are good to put in mail drops that one should not anticipate finding in trail side stores, etc (esp if there are no major food stores)? Or what have you old timers put in your mail drops. I figure you'll be able to get the Liptons and Ramen and oatmeal on the trail. I'm not looking for whether one should have a maildrop or not. Looking for what food items might be good since I plan to have a few. Liked Jack's article on it too. I was thinking more on the line maybe like beef jerky (which you can get cheaper in other places), granola, nuts, drink mix, make up some of my own trail mix, etc. ?

Thanks!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

After shipping 21 maildrops, I'm now of the opinion that they're mostly a waste of time and money unless you're really, really into homemade food. All the common stuff can be found in any trail town, and unless you're getting the food free/extremely cheap (ie-homegrown), the shipping largely wipes up most of the savings. Fontana Dam, Andover ME, and Monson ME would be my only suggestioned drops, and those could be done from the trail. A bounce box for maps and such still makes sense though. As always, YMMV, and I'm just another schmo on an Internet board with an opinion.

BTW - Where's Jack's article? I've read it before and thought it was right on the money but can't find my link.

Images

I don't rely on maildrops for food, mainly for new maps/ data sections, empty memory cards for my camera and full ones for my MP3 player, and stuff like that. The food stuff that my dad was putting into my boxes (4 or 5 total for the California section of the PCT this year and 1 into the NOC early this spring) was fun stuff. Homemade cookies, good chocolate, lots of stuff from Trader Joes - Thai Lime Cashews, weird asian dried noodle dinners, hot sauce, dehydrated mushrooms, spices, etc. Nothing that I really "needed", but things that broke up the monotony of what I was normally carrying.
    A few extra ounces in your foodbag of spices, hot sauce, dehydrated veggies, fresh garlic, olive oil, and some hard cheese like parmasean make the typical hiker dinner SOOOOOO much tastier.

RYE
    What? Me worry??

Images

my mother started trying to have little suprises in my mail drops, some where good, some not sooo much. little bags of mini marshmellows (fun and weigh nothing) cheeze sticks (don't mail them if they are expired), random lost & found easter candy (that was the wierdest one)

read the article on mail drops do's and don'ts http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/arti...99&postcount=1
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

I like sending myself dried brocolli, onions, tomatoes, hamburger, bananas, etc. that i dry myself. As for things i have a hard time finding on the trail: powdered coconut milk (a must for thai recipies), dry milk that is not non fat (found in France or Mexico), those chicken packets in the foil pouches, good granola cereal from a health food store, (especially down south, it's much harder to find quality foods i think) powdered cool whip (for those box cheese cakes), and my friends often send me homeade Pesto! (that's big) Anyway, lots of other things besides food goes in there too.

Images

Only two food items I was planning to have set up and sent on a regular basis:

Whiskey
    Beef Jerky
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

oh yeah, whiskey that was another one my parents started to send, i figured they would just get me the cheapest kind out there and i would have been happy w/ anything, but i got a bottle of makers mark (complete w/ warnings about drinking while hiking and using near fire)! lots of dry towns on the trail.
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

I plan on using maildrops for just about all of my food. I only eat organic, natural types of foods... nothing processed. I know it'll be difficult for me to resupply in the towns, so I'm running the heck out of my dehydrator and vacuum sealer.

I do wish I could go without maildrops, the logistics and such would be a lot easier.

formerly amazonwoman

I've been looking around at SAM'S for lightweight/nonperishable foods. They have dried mushrooms and onions that I'm thinking would spice up the same old stuff. Also saw some 'holiday' flavored (peppermint etc) hot cocoa that I'm thinking about buying ahead of time. They have three flavors of powdered gravy (chicken, turkey and brown). Can you tell I love mashed potatoes??

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by amazonwoman View Post
    I've been looking around at SAM'S for lightweight/nonperishable foods. They have dried mushrooms and onions that I'm thinking would spice up the same old stuff. Also saw some 'holiday' flavored (peppermint etc) hot cocoa that I'm thinking about buying ahead of time. They have three flavors of powdered gravy (chicken, turkey and brown). Can you tell I love mashed potatoes??

That's where I need to head soon.

The peppermint hot chocolate sounds great.

Also, I plan to raid the stores for the after halloween candy - like the miniature Snicker bars and Twix. They are great pick me ups.

Hiking Blog

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    BTW - Where's Jack's article? I've read it before and thought it was right on the money but can't find my link.
    It's on the left side of the home page. First listing under 'Appalachian Trail Articles'.

It's titled "AT Re-Supply".
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

formerly amazonwoman

what is the best way to keep bagels, crackers and chips from getting smashed?? I was thinking of a lightweight christmas tin or something plastic. Any ideas??

Images

chips and crackers work well in a Pringles container
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

AW--

Bagels seem to hold up pretty well on their own.

The Pringles can is also useful, and doubles as a little trash can for wrappers, etc.

Also, you might want to include those small Ziplock of hefty boxes (they're like little lite-weight tupperware boxes); these are useful for holding crushables, as well as coming in handy for leftrover food, fruit, veggies, cheeses, or anything else you might want to keep fresher. They are also easily cleaned for re-use. Just make sure these are packed close to the top of your pack.

Another idea is to put crushable foods inside your cookpot; you can then put in an extra bandana, sock, etc., to keep the stuff from getting banged around and broken in the pot as you hike.

Images

three words drakes coffee cakes

Some food ideas:

In a lot of the places where you'll be buying food, selection can be pretty limited, so if, for example, you're a vegetarian or like natural foods, and you eat stuff like hummos, tabouli, couscous, sun-dried tomatoes, etc., you'd better buy this ahead of time and put it in your food drops, especially in the deep South. Likewise, thuings like dried fruit, etc. Also, be aware that some things (like jerky or other snacks) can be VERY expensive if you buy them at convenience stores or small-town markets. This goes for things like batteries, as well. So sometimes, it's cost-effective to buy stuff at home and put it in your maildrops.

Also, if you have particularly favorite treats or candy bars, you might want to buy them in advance. For example, I'm a Heath Bar fiend, and not everyone carries them. So in all of my boxes, along with fresh maps, etc., I throw in a few favorite candy bars.

Otherwise, you'll be amazed at how much food you'll most likely find and buy en route, as opposed to relying on maildrops.

And lastly, as far as nice things or surprises to find in onesmaildrops, the best thing that one can do for a friend or family member who is thru-hiking is to surprise them with a twenty-dollar bill!

It give one all sorts of fun options.

Sio if people start asking you what sort of things will come in handy out there, don't be shy about letting them know!

Default Food for variety

My folks shipped me a different hard cheese to every drop. It made for a nice change for lunches and dinners except for the Norwegian gjtost that tasted like lye soap. Good dates and other dried fruits besides raisins, too.
    Even fruitcake was welcome!

I had talked to the cheese monger at a specialty shop before leaving and he advised them on good keepers. He also came up with some individually wrapped halvah and other high energy snacks not available in most places.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bobgessner57 View Post
    My folks shipped me a different hard cheese to every drop.
    I had talked to the cheese monger at a specialty shop before leaving and he advised them on good keepers.
    Such as?

I'm thinking cheddar and other hard cheeses would keep well. (?)

Hiking Blog

Images

yum fruitcake
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

formerly amazonwoman

i've heard people say that boiled eggs will keep in your pack for a few days. Is there anything to that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++