WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Modification for the HH...staps instead of ropes?

Hey Y'all,

Has anybody removed the ropes from their HH and replaced them with straps...kinda like one big long tree hugger.

I notice that blackbishop351 appears to have done just this.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=9511

How does it work? Are there any Do it yourself instructions on how to do this?

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I did that and I am very happy with the results. Here is a link to Jeff's site where there is a pic of mine.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesHotSprings.html

I cut my support rope leaving about a foot, tied a loop in the rope, and then sewed the straps into the loop. I made the straps about 13 or 14 feet. I had to add a drip string to the original HH rope to stop the water from running down the straps into the hammock. I tie the hammock to the tree using the speer 4 wrap knot.

I found it simple to remove the cover on the end of the Hennessy and untie the support rope. Makes it easy to put it back to "factory condition" if I want to. The cover on mine was held with a small black zip tie, easily replaced with another. Not a bad idea to take a pic of the way Hennessy ties it just in case you want to put it back.

I thought about doing that and I still might. I wasn't sure it would work, how long it last, or how I would like it so I wanted a way to change it or field repair it if needed.

The first cut to a perfictly good piece of gear was hard enough. Although the second cut was a lot easier.

Arkwater, how do you account for the water running down the straps?

Actually I didn't use straps, I used 7/64 Spectra cord from Samson ropeworks. 1200 lb break strength and only weighs 0.048 oz/foot. I tied an inch of cotton shoe lace on each line near the hammock.

Every now and then someone has trouble with water running down the straps onto the hammock. Leaving a small bit of Spectra to tie to the webbing also leaves a convenient place for a drip string, so you'll completely avoid that issue.

My straps seemed to funnel the water in. It happened the first time I used it in the rain. Mine are different than the Speer straps. How do the Speer/Homemade hammocks do?

Most people seem to never have a big problem with it. Some people have had enough of a problem to start threads on how to solve it. Several experiments detailed on WB and the Yahoo group.

Try hanging your hammock, then flipping it over a 1.5-2 times before you get in. That should twist the ropes enough to prevent a funnel from forming. Not sure if it'll work with yours since you have some Spectra still on there, but I think it's the easiest solution if it works.

++ New Posts ++