WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Silly View Post
    thickredhair,

That's standard desktop RAM memory -- look for the specs "PC3200" or "400mhz", "184-pin DIMM" to make sure you get the right module. Don't buy from Dell as they'll charge a fortune ($71!!). I prefer Crucial brand memory, eg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146532 -- right now NewEgg.com has this for $38 shipped. Other brands can be found cheaper but I've had good experiences with NewEgg and with Crucial memory.
    I can't really afford to buy a stick right now, was hoping someone might have one. (i'm graduating from college next week!!!, living off of nothing, ramen diet, luckly parents still give me gas money)
    If you're serious about donating your computer, holler at me and maybe I can arrange to pick it up and get it to Miss Janet's place.
    ha and pass up an excuse to go up there myself? as long as my schedule works out, i'll be able to get up there, assuming gas doesn't go up to $4/gal

-gaiter
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thickredhair View Post
    I can't really afford to buy a stick right now, was hoping someone might have one.
    yeah, i got that; i'm in the same boat. just figured i'd point out the specs on what was needed and supply a cheaper alternative to the link you gave, in case someone decided to be generous and buy the part outright.

Quote Originally Posted by thickredhair View Post
    ha and pass up an excuse to go up there myself? as long as my schedule works out, i'll be able to get up there, assuming gas doesn't go up to $4/gal
    fair enuff! but don't bet on the gas, apparently it's already there in Chicago area...
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Images

I just want to say thanks Uncle Silly...you always show your kindness and generosity to the AT Community.....I remember when you helped Trail Angel Mary with her computer last year....

why trail angel mary is great. because i say so.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxomatthewski smootches tam.
    matthewski

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

thickredhair,

That's standard desktop RAM memory -- look for the specs "PC3200" or "400mhz", "184-pin DIMM" to make sure you get the right module. Don't buy from Dell as they'll charge a fortune ($71!!). I prefer Crucial brand memory, eg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146532 -- right now NewEgg.com has this for $38 shipped. Other brands can be found cheaper but I've had good experiences with NewEgg and with Crucial memory.

If you're serious about donating your computer, holler at me and maybe I can arrange to pick it up and get it to Miss Janet's place.

--silly
    Piggybacking your post to Thickredhair,

Also, find out how much additional memory the motherboard will take. Some of the older motherboards will not handle much memory by today's standards. Not only can that be a waste of money and time but it can also cause serious problems with your system if you try to update with too much memory.

You can get a copy of Everest free edition to get a snapshot of your hardwear if you don't know what is actually in your computer.

Images

it has one- 256 stick in it now, it can handle two sticks of either 256 or 512
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Default Miss Janet's

Is it usually busy at Miss Janet's in mid August?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowspark View Post
    Is it usually busy at Miss Janet's in mid August?

Not this year, since Miss Janet has posted that she is closing her hostel in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by thestin View Post
    Not this year, since Miss Janet has posted that she is closing her hostel in a few weeks.
    Why? Could someone post a link to her post? This is the first I've heard of this and am supper-bummed...

Miss Janet is selling her home and looking for a new place. There have been a couple of threads here about it. Do a search...

the one today is entitled "ho Hum" and was started by her-own-self
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I met and stayed at Janet's on my 2002 thru and found her to be an incredible lady! I consider her to be a very good friend and have stopped at her place EVERY time that I've had the chance....I have yet to stop when there were no hikers there... no matter what month!

geek

Quote Originally Posted by thestin View Post
    Miss Janet is selling her home and looking for a new place. There have been a couple of threads here about it. Do a search...
    Thanks. I did in fact do a search before posting. Nothing. The new "ho-hum" thread doesnt' give any info on the "why" or where...

Images

Default Original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Overpass View Post
    Why? Could someone post a link to her post? This is the first I've heard of this and am supper-bummed...
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...480#post368480

Default One bit of advice...

Quote Originally Posted by jodestick View Post
    scratch that....i mean i will be coming from johnson city....I-26

thanks!
    Hit both the great Chinese buffet restaurant there and the outfitter. There is no buffet in Erwin that I know of, and no outfitter (unless you count Uncle Johnny's).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    There is no buffet in Erwin that I know of,
    KFC buffet.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Default I presume she's just moving operations to another location...

Question is, where is her new hostel located, and when will it open?

She's buying Rusty's place and having it moved closer to the trail.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Default No, really...

Where is her new place going to be located?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    Where is her new place going to be located?
    She said she found a place she liked but wasn't specific on the location because I think she has not actually bought the place yet. IOW... there is no "new place" yet or... it has not been announced.

Hope she finds something soon!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++