WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question low sodium foods for hiking

Hello all;
    I'm new to the forum, but looked over this section and couldn't find anything on what I'm looking for. Specifically, I have an inner ear disorder (Meniere's) that requires me to be on a low sodium (1000mg/day) diet, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I haven't done a whole lot of long distance hiking since being diagnosed, and all of the freeze dried stuff has a ton of sodium in it.
    What I'm wondering is, I know that hiking expends a ton of fluids and sodium, and it's important to keep hydrated and I can probably double my sodium allowance while hiking, but does anyone have any ideas/recommendations?
    I will be hiking the entire Georgia stretch of the AT in about a month, and would appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks.

You need to dehydrate your own. Commercial dehydrated products are high to extend their shelf life to maximize profit. By dehydrating your own you can customize to your exact nutritional and taste requirements. It's is actually very easy to learn and accomplish, start now.

A 1,000 mg limit is tough; the recommended level is 2,500 but most people get twice that. I would start out like this:

Breakfast: Oatmeal or oatbran with raisins.

Lunch: Bagel (225mg-250mg) with peanut butter and jelly.

Supper: Instant rice and homemade dehydrated beans. Pasta with homemade dehydrated sauce. Blue Jay is correct; dehydrating your own food will be of great benefit in controlling your sodium intake.

Supper is the toughest meal. Once you have that nailed down and you have your sodium level for the 3 meals figured out, then allocate your remaining sodium between cheese, power bars, dry milk, and so on.

Dry fruits would also be a good snack item.

Wingfoot is an excellent resource for trail related questions. I would also suggest going to his website (trailplace.com) and asking his advice.

Good luck. Post what you finally come up with; this information would be useful to others.

++ New Posts ++