WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    I got mine yesterday. This is THE coolest freaking little stove I've ever seen I tested it in the kitchen with cold tap water, using my Heinie pot & my AGG 3 cup pot. With both pots, using 1/2 oz of fuel, they boiled in under 7 minutes. And still burned for about 2 more minutes after that. If you've been needing an alcohol stove, look no further. This little thing is dynamite. Thanks Zelph!!!!!
    Thank You for the great feedback That makes me smile

I have made some available in the Gear For Sale Forum. You can purchase the burner only or the complete stove. Any questions please PM me.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...3&postcount=21

I hope TOZE connected up with his stove at Harpers Ferry. Someone let me know if he gotit please and thank you

Images

Just wanted to add a post as another satisfied customer. I used the Starlyte as my only stove on my recent weeklong hike, and it worked perfectly. 3/4 ounce of HEET brought 2 cups of water to a boil every single time in my Heine pot, no matter what the conditions. There were even a few times when the stove continued to burn fro a few minutes after boil was achieved.

Also important to note, on one occasion my stove and pot tipped over, all I had to do was set the Starlyte back upright on more level ground, and add some fresh water to the pot. No spilled fuel, no accidental fire.

Thanks Zelph for creating this stove, it got appreciative remarks from all who saw it, even if one kid did think it was funny that my cookset was made from "garbage"!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    Just wanted to add a post as another satisfied customer. I used the Starlyte as my only stove on my recent weeklong hike, and it worked perfectly. 3/4 ounce of HEET brought 2 cups of water to a boil every single time in my Heine pot, no matter what the conditions. There were even a few times when the stove continued to burn fro a few minutes after boil was achieved.

Also important to note, on one occasion my stove and pot tipped over, all I had to do was set the Starlyte back upright on more level ground, and add some fresh water to the pot. No spilled fuel, no accidental fire.

Thanks Zelph for creating this stove, it got appreciative remarks from all who saw it, even if one kid did think it was funny that my cookset was made from "garbage"!
    Thank You for the great feedback. Always great to hear from those that are using the stove. Thanks for mentioning the part about no fuel being spilled when it tipped over. That is what I like most about the stove. No out of control flames going every which way. Very safe for use in tents on rainy days

Images

Those of you that have a SS StarLyte UltraLyte might be interested to know that I have experimented with filling it with a remote container of fuel. It's working out pretty good. I'm still doing tests to make sure it's safe for everyone. I'll show you the set-up once it's found to be safe.

A short video to show it being filled. The Stove is still availabe for anyone who might be interested. I'm still using my digital camera to make the videos in 20 second segments and piecing them together

Images

Great video Zelph, and everything about the stove is just amazing.

I love the simplicity of it and excellent craftsmanship.

im going off into the seas of wb to launch a threadship of great importance . its about unsung oportunitys among overtalented hikers such as zelph. he alone inspired this idea two years ago. thanks zman. since thinking about zelphs situation and how we had talked about going big with his stoves but he diddnt have the time,......i met others with similar storys. i mattheski belive what im about to say. their are at present 5 hikers known to me who have multi million dollar ideas i belive should be exsploited or consumed somhow to make lives better. zelph you are not one of them. your stoves are brilliant and i own most of them and love you bro but your idea is a less profitable one no matter how big you go. your best bet money or exspantionwise would be to join a stove developement team at msr and lead them into alcohol. i wish that for you if you want it. but many hikers do have big talents. some worth millions. it is those i wish to focus on. zelph is a type of individual we need to nuture in our sociaty. its what makes us us. the u.s. im hopeing to one day start a fund for such folks. with my art if it sells. zelphs stoves lite my imagination and cooked fine steaks and coffie for dozens. they have a higher fun factor tan any stoves.
    the pic is a stove that comes to trail days each year with friends. it has been in their family for three generations of hunters and now campers.its a truck rim from the old days.
    matthewski

Images

Gee!!!!! It's hard to formulate some thoughts and words here. Two years have gone by fast. Lots of memories/friends formed.

I recently have been trying to come up with a sure fire way to make it to Trail Days so I can meet up with those that I have met her on WB. One way or another I'll make it there this coming year. Last year I was close but was not able to get there.

I have 2 stoves and a super windscreen that will be made available through various outlets. Their history is here in the Homemade Gear Forum. Time to make them available to the world. Time to enter another dimension. Time to make some changes I'll see what I can do before joining up with MSR.

StarLyte and mweinstone!!!!!!! (dan shouts) Can you see you are my friends, can you see you are my friends!!!!!!!!!(echoing throughout the woodlands) We will meet next year!!!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    im hopeing to one day start a fund for such folks. with my art if it sells. zelphs stoves lite my imagination and cooked fine steaks and coffie for dozens. they have a higher fun factor than any stoves.
    Mathewski!!!!! I got a copy of your W. A. K. I. impressionistic art in the mail yesterday.

Awesome!!! Your are listed amongst the finer Artists of Modern Times.

I was sad to see that I would no be receiving a goat

Your artwork made my day

We all are aware of cold weather being here There is hope for alcohol being used in our stoves. Make those stoves so that the fuel gets up to the surface of the stove. Take a look at how the StarLyte burner works in -13 degrees with a wind whipping around it at the same time. My daughter is manning the camera trying to show the temperature gauge on the dashboard.

Say hello to cold weather

I'm going to have to get me one of those Starlytes. I do almost all of my cooking with found fuel, but sometimes that's not an option. Alcohol is my second favorite choice so I might as well have the best.

stevie
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

I just got mine the other day and the thing is awesome. i hope to try it out this weekend!! Thanks great stove!

Journal Entries
    Images

Default 241

I nest my Starlyte into my Fancee Feest and so protect the pot support AND get a second stove for barely any weight increase. Nice, wonderful use of "trash."
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Images

Has anyone had one for a while now and done a lot of cooking with it? I'd really like to see some pictures of them after they've been used and abused on the trail. How well does the fiberglass cloth on top hold out?

Zelph - you could probably answer those questions best. I'm sure you've put it through quite a few tests and trials. Does the top get blackened? Does the fiberglass need to be replaced eventually like any standard wick alcohol stove?

Thanks for your input. By the looks, it seems this may be the perfect stove for my cook system.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    How well does the fiberglass cloth on top hold out?
    It's actually stainless mesh, the fiberglass is under the mesh. Only used mine a few times, but I can't see anything to wear out.

I have one of the original starlytes (version before the integrated potstand). I have put quite a few miles on it and still love it. The fiberglass mesh has some blackening, but very little. Since I used an inverted method for filling it, I started to compress the insulation inside which made the mesh a little loose. It does not affect the performance and I still use the inversion method cuz its fun. I have one of the new versions as well with the stainless mesh (also without a potstand). I haven't had a chance to use it yet though since I have been using the fanceee feest stove recently.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Has anyone had one for a while now and done a lot of cooking with it? I'd really like to see some pictures of them after they've been used and abused on the trail. How well does the fiberglass cloth on top hold out?

Zelph - you could probably answer those questions best. I'm sure you've put it through quite a few tests and trials. Does the top get blackened? Does the fiberglass need to be replaced eventually like any standard wick alcohol stove?

Thanks for your input. By the looks, it seems this may be the perfect stove for my cook system.
    The current Starlytes no longer have the exposed fiberglass cloth. The burner portion is covered with stainless steel mesh. The integrated potstand is made of stainless steel wire. Inverted filling is no longer needed for filling of the stove, just pour directly into the burner portion using the flexible measure cup provided.

The earlier model used 2" wide fiberglass cloth that had bound edgeing to prevent fraying. One of the edges may become exposed after usage but will not have an adverse effect on the performance of the stove. The fabric will become a little less tight over a periode of time from doing the inverted filling with the provided flex cup because of the slight pressure on the cloth by the cup. Pressing too much on the burner surface will compress the absorbing ceramic material a tad but will not have an adverse effect on the stoves operation.

The StarLyte has truly proven itself to be a reliable lightweight stove. It can be made to simmer by placing it into a fancey feast cat food can that has been reduced in height.(cut 1/4 inch of the top)

Thank you to all that own the StarLyte for the positive feed back.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hi Zelph, the reviews I read on Starlyte this morning, made me build one in the last two hours and test it, only on a very small scale. If you remember I was trying to get one small cup of water to make tea or coffee. The stove is smaller than a red bull can. I put glue in the concave bottom to keep the fuel from cooling in the corners, fitted the cloth to trap as I press fitted the two cans together. The gas is 10 ml for a five minute burn and brings it to 200 degrees without a wind screen. I dumped the Titanium cup because of its poor heat transfer properties. I use a small Heiny and boiled it three or four times because I could clearly see a floating residue each test. Very successful design of yours.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Hi Zelph, the reviews I read on Starlyte this morning, made me build one in the last two hours and test it, only on a very small scale. If you remember I was trying to get one small cup of water to make tea or coffee. The stove is smaller than a red bull can. I put glue in the concave bottom to keep the fuel from cooling in the corners, fitted the cloth to trap as I press fitted the two cans together. The gas is 10 ml for a five minute burn and brings it to 200 degrees without a wind screen. I dumped the Titanium cup because of its poor heat transfer properties. I use a small Heiny and boiled it three or four times because I could clearly see a floating residue each test. Very successful design of yours.
    That was fast!!!! Nice quick way to an easy stove.

You can even get it down smaller. Check out this thread on a smaller TwiLyte Stove

Journal Entries
    Images

Zelph, Why does the fibers being vertical improve the quality of the burn?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Thanks guys for the quick response. I guess I'd missed the change from fiberglass cloth on top to ss mesh on top. Good idea. Keep up the great work Zelph.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Zelph, Why does the fibers being vertical improve the quality of the burn?

capillary action

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++