WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Images

The StarLyte is another easy DIY stove with integrated pot support. Weighs only 1/2 ounce. Complete instructions can be found I this thread. Once fuel is put in, it won't spill out. Nice safety feature.

Works well with DIY Caldera Cones

Hi there, truly adore the Starlyte alcohol burner its the one I have settled on as the best of breed and have successfully used for the past few years with a Caldera setup. Recently the top cap has separated from the lower cap I'm wondering what adhesive should be used to re-attach it of if that is even necessary seems to work fine but I do notice alcohol will leak out of this occasionally.

Also I am changing my cook kit around a bit and dropping the mug in favour of a narrower pot (that will be used as a mug) the Toaks 850ml and the TD Fissure set-up. Is the typical modified Starlyte still the best option here would the newer simmer model be better? The Toaks has a diameter of 98mm.

Thanks!

-Michael

Images

The Modified is the best for you. Don't use more than one ounce of fuel at a time.

The Starlyte is small and was made to boil 2 cups of water in aluminum pots under most real world conditions. If the burner is filled to the top and lit, the heat will cause the fuel to overflow and ignite, engulf the entire burner and cause the adhesive that holds the top on to deteriorate over time.

You can use "Super Glue" to re-attach the top.

A reminder to all.................DON'T OVERFILL ;-)

I checked Zelph's web page today.I own just about one of everything Zelph makes except Fancee Feast and Cobalt series.Proud I was lucky enough to own a GOTO Venom Stove.LOVE IT! What I want to know is whether Mr Zelph has pot stands for the Starlyte burners that take the cap cover like the one showed in this thread?I have a couple Starlytes for my Caldera cone systems but dont necessarily want to deal with carrying the cone.I have the small Starlyte with an integrated stand on it but would like to purchase one like the 1/2 hole model shown earlier in this thread.Last time I tried to punch holes in roof flashing I nearly knocked my thumb off and I don't have a 1/2 inch hole punch anyway.Thanks.(note: I looked but could not find pot stands on the site)

Images

I did the thumb slam a time or two

I have some stainless steel pots supports and a few burners with 1/2" holes. Send me a message via the form on my store home page and I will send you an invoice for the items.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Thanks for the info. Well I'm happy to report the Modified Starlyte has consistently boiled 750ml of water in an Evernew 900ml titanium pot as part of the Caldera Cone system hundreds of times for me over the years without issue I hope it will continue to function as well with the new setup!

Images

Default Starlyte XL3

I found a new container and lids that I can use to create a new Starlyte burner. In a couple weeks I should have a dozen or two available.

Weighs 1 ounce. 3" in diameter and 1" in height
    lid weighs .10 ounce
    Has 3 ounce fuel capacity in suspension.......won't spill out.
    Lid will prevent vaporization of unused fuel.
    Works well inside larger Caldera Cones.
    Has copper wick to assist lighting in single digit temperatures.

DSCF3572.JPGDSCF3573.JPGDSCF3574.JPG

Journal Entries
    Images

Love the copper wick!
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Geez — I already have three Starlytes … Is there a bonus for being a sucker for fine stoves, Zelph? …

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I found a new container and lids that I can use to create a new Starlyte burner. In a couple weeks I should have a dozen or two available.

Weighs 1 ounce. 3" in diameter and 1" in height
    lid weighs .10 ounce
    Has 3 ounce fuel capacity in suspension.......won't spill out.
    Lid will prevent vaporization of unused fuel.
    Works well inside larger Caldera Cones.
    Has copper wick to assist lighting in single digit temperatures.

DSCF3572.JPGDSCF3573.JPGDSCF3574.JPG
    What pot stand height works best with this stove? Do you sell one?

Images

There was a hiker/stovie on my website(bplite) that came up with the idea of the copper wick. It's amazing how well it works in single digit, winter temperatures.

There is a bonus for having too many Starlyte burners....misplace one and another one is close at hand :-) A fiend is having problems with his canister lighting in cold weather, let him use one of your Starlytes :-)

About 1 1/2 inch distance from burner surface to pot bottom should be ideal. I'm going to create a pot support that fits on top of the burner. It will concentrate the flame and be somewhat of windscreen for the flame. The support will be 3" in diameter. That's a good size for 2 cup capacity pots. It will store on the outside of the burner.

One note about the Starlyte. They burn hotter when full. As the fuel runs low, the power drops. But since unburned fuel can be left in the stove with the lid on, you can just fill it up to get max power and blow it out when done.

There was a hiker/stovie on my website(bplite) that came up with the idea of the copper wick. It's amazing how well it works in single digit, winter temperatures.

There is a bonus for having too many Starlyte burners....misplace one and another one is close at hand :-) A fiend is having problems with his canister lighting in cold weather, let him use one of your Starlytes :-)

About 1 1/2 inch distance from burner surface to pot bottom should be ideal. I'm going to create a pot support that fits on top of the burner. It will concentrate the flame and be somewhat of windscreen for the flame. The support will be 3" in diameter. That's a good size for 2 cup capacity pots. It will store on the outside of the burner.
    Sweet! As soon as you get the support made let me/us know, I for sure will take a burner with stand!

Images

ScareBear,
    I have enough parts now to make a dozen. They will be completed tomorrow and a pot support will be designed and tested by the evening. I need "dark" to test how the burner reacts in a closed environment(Pot Support)

ScareBear,
    I have enough parts now to make a dozen. They will be completed tomorrow and a pot support will be designed and tested by the evening. I need "dark" to test how the burner reacts in a closed environment(Pot Support)
    Great! I've been looking for an alchy and this one will be PERFECT! I like the fact that you don't have to worry too much about unburnt fuel, it's cold weather ready and ultralight.

I guess I will bang on your website for one tomorrow? Or you can PM me how to get one direct and just hold one with a stand for me!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Great! I've been looking for an alchy and this one will be PERFECT! I like the fact that you don't have to worry too much about unburnt fuel, it's cold weather ready and ultralight.

I guess I will bang on your website for one tomorrow? Or you can PM me how to get one direct and just hold one with a stand for me!!!
    Message will be sent :-)

Message will be sent :-)
    Received and replied!

Images

DIY projects sometimes go a wry :-) this 3 ounce capacity burner has to be put on the back burner. :-) I have to wait till I return home in the spring(april) The hand tool used to assemble the container is malfunctioning :-( I'm at a campground in MS for the winter months. My workshop is a tent with limited tools ;-)

The Mega Burner is still available:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/mega-st...r-with-lid.php
    Last edited by zelph; 01-27-2017 at 23:31.

Images

I made these Starlyte screw top burners today. I'm testing them to see how well the lid liner holds up to alcohol vapors. They hold one ounce fuel.

Untitled 0 00 08-24.jpg

Zelph- by any chance do you have any Starlyte XL w/ the wire stand such as the one in this video? I dont need the IMUSA cup or lid, but I’ve always wanted the burner with the wire stand that seats in the burner.

https://youtu.be/DEY2S1DXBCw

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++