WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Images

Default anodized aluminum

Recent discussion about anodized aluminum made me curious about the containers that I'm using for the "StarLyte".

I received information from my supplier that the containers are indeed anodized and sealed.

I'm making a small adjustment in the stainless steel potstand to get a different flame pattern.

My home computer is on the fritz and my wife is in need of my tender loving care after major surgery, she's doing fine. No time for new stoves .

Wishing everyone an enjoyable "Thanksgiving"

I'm greatfull to have all of you as friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post

Wishing everyone an enjoyable "Thanksgiving"

I'm greatfull to have all of you as friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Same here, Zelph. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Default simmer ring eliminated

I've eliminated the need for a seperate simmer ring for the "StarLyte"

Not long ago I made a post to a thread that concerned a super cat stove burning too fast etc..My suggestion was to block off the bottom row of holes and then gave the statistics of how it functioned with only the uper row blah blah blah.(has anyone tried that?)

Keeping that in mind I applied the principle to the StarLyte pot stand. The hole patterns regulate the flame paterns as shown in the photo under the pots.

The other photo shows the two pot stands side by side. Row of smaller holes produce a simmer flame. Turn the pot stand upside down so the big holes are on top and it will produce a flame to boil with.

Taking my time with testing to make sure everything will go well.

Waiting on new shipment of stainless.

1st photo flame patterns simmer pattern on right

2nd photo pot stands side by side showing hole patterns.

Images

Zelph, how much does the pot stand weigh? And what gauge stainless are you using?

Sure is a pretty thing.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Images

Skids-------------The stainless is .005 I'll put it on the scale today and get the finalized weights now that all the holes have been determined.

StarLyte------Have you received your stove? or did homeland security do away with it?

Images

Default stove weight

Total weight of stove-----18.5 grams/0.652 ounces (burner and stand)

Stainless steel pot stand--7.7 grams/0.271 ounces

Diameter of stove---------2.25 inches

Height of stove ---------- 2.25 inches

Images

Diameter of stove---------2.25 inches

Height of stove ---------- 2.25 inches
    So your 'height of stove' includes the pot stand? And the distance from stove to pot bottom is 1.25" more or less?
    Skids

Images

Default good question

Actually!!!!! the pot stand is 2 inches high so that makes the stove 2 inches high not 2.25 inches

The pot stand is 2.25 inches in diameter

Thank You Skids

I filled the "StarLyte with 1 ounce of fuel and then lit it and then set it on its side simulating an accidental tip over. No fuel leaks out what so ever. 1st photo shows side view, 2nd photo shows front view. I'll have to get some photos with added light to show entire burner. This is one of the important features of the StarLyte (SAFETY) No other stove has this ability. The Ion uses insulation to obsorb and act as a wick, try putting 1 oz. of fuel in it doing the spill test. I use the Ion as an example because it's the same size and holds same amount of fuel as the Starlyte. Pop can stoves also use insulation, try this test with one of those.STAND BACK AND BE CAREFUL.

1st photo

2nd photo

I've been doing some tests with the ion and starlyte using a hand held infrared heat sensing gun. I'ts really helped me understand alot more why stoves do what they do and also burners and windscreens.

Here are some photos: 1. Shows readout screen with temperature in large numbers.

2. SHows red laser dot on side of Ion dot is for sighting only. Side of ion has been painted with high temp flat black to obtain accurate reading.

Images

Now that looks like a fun piece of equipment for stove testing.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

WOOHOO--

I arrived back home after a lengthy trip and my StarLyte stove was in my stack of mail!

It is beautiful, and light as a feather.....so LIGHT that I had to weigh it on my postal scale which I synchronized accordingly....and the scale read: 9 ounces !!! That INCLUDES the pot stand which was cleverly designed.

Am I right about the weight Zelph? 9 ounces?

I will use it later on tonight and take a photo!

It will be a hit at the Rucks......more than you know.

Thank you so much--I am so excited.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    WOOHOO--

I arrived back home after a lengthy trip and my StarLyte stove was in my stack of mail!

It is beautiful, and light as a feather.....so LIGHT that I had to weigh it on my postal scale which I synchronized accordingly....and the scale read: 9 ounces !!! That INCLUDES the pot stand which was cleverly designed.

Am I right about the weight Zelph? 9 ounces?

I will use it later on tonight and take a photo!

It will be a hit at the Rucks......more than you know.

Thank you so much--I am so excited.
    You meant grams, right? 9 ounce stove setups are nothing to write home about.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Harpo Marx---- Leave her be!!!!!!! she meant 9 grams, travel fatigue, the stove now weighs 9 grams, now thats worth writing home about.

StarLyte, I was concerned about you!!!!!!! glad to see you back , you were missed.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

grams, ounces....it's all England's fault. They invented that whole ounce/pound system and kept it just long enough to infect us then switched with the rest of the world to the metric (gram) system.

9 grams, that's something to write about. Will Starlyte need a macro lens on her camera?
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Default grams, ml´s and ounces

hi,

i´ve heared of wam. did you?

"we ain´t metric!" first one who signed the list must have been john wayne. so i guess you guys will NEVER be metric again.

anyway, i find it hard and annyoing to read:

i put 15 ml of alc in the stove .. got a boil with 1 oz... after

it would be nice to stick to one system at least.
    greets
    lucky luke
    happy trails
    lucky luke

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

This is why I have bookmarks for metric conversion calculators for weight and volume.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

I try my best to post both measurements. Many of our viewers use metric.

The company that I puchased the stainless steel from notified me that my order is complete and can pick it up as requested. The midwest is getting blasted with snow storms and I have to get into the Chicago suburbs for the steel pickup. Onward!!!!!!!!

Good idea Kerosene about the book marks!!!!!! Thank You

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Ounces or Ounces, Which?

I filled the "StarLyte with 1 ounce of fuel and then lit it and then set it on its side simulating an accidental tip over. No fuel leaks out what so ever. 1st photo shows side view, 2nd photo shows front view. I'll have to get some photos with added light to show entire burner. This is one of the important features of the StarLyte (SAFETY) No other stove has this ability. The Ion uses insulation to obsorb and act as a wick, try putting 1 oz. of fuel in it doing the spill test...
    What is also slightly annoying is the term ounce and how loosely it seems to be used for imparting technical data. I cannot determine from the above which type of ounce were you referring to when you mentioned "1 oz. of fuel"?

On the one hand there is the fluid ounce which is a measure of volume and on the other there is the avoirdupois ounce which is a measure of weight. Some call the last a measure of mass but it is more readily remembered as just weight, since a scale is required to determine it. So, which was it?

Our archaic measuring/weighing system we use is cumbersome at best.
    For instance, 1 ounce denatured alcohol [US, liquid, volume] = 29.573 529 688 milliliters = 0.82 avoirdupois (avdp, weight) ounce. [the weight of one fluid ounce of ethanol (denatured alcohol) is 1.043 (specific gravity of water)times 0.787 (the specific gravity of ethanol) and equals 0.82 avdp ounce.]

So if one weighed their particular ounce opon a scale to get 1 of them, the actual amount would actually be more than just an 'ounce' (by volume) of alcohol. Now, break the 'ounce' into parts of an ounce and it really becomes confusing to the reader if specifics were not used.

We really should abandon our archaic system and switch completely to metric. Our scientific community already has

Images

We really should abandon our archaic system and switch completely to metric. Our scientific community already has
    I agree in total with you "highway"

It's the ultralight community that started using the avoirdupois ounce . Saw Sgt Rock use it in his specs, got me all confused . I have never used it in my posts, never will, let it be known, let it be written!!!!!

I put one fluid ounce into the "StarLyte" and simulated a tip over. Nothing leaked out.

Zelph,

I'd like to buy a stove too!

Btw, you weren't by chance heading to McMaster in Elk Grove to pick up that steel were you?

How 'bout that snow, huh? Good stuff. Shoot me an email about that stove, if you please. [email protected]

-iamscottym

:banana

I agree in total with you "highway"

It's the ultralight community that started using the avoirdupois ounce . Saw Sgt Rock use it in his specs, got me all confused . I have never used it in my posts, never will, let it be known, let it be written!!!!!

I put one fluid ounce into the "StarLyte" and simulated a tip over. Nothing leaked out.
    hi zelph,

is it still a fluid ounce if it does not flow out of the container?
    or has it been transmitted magically into an thingy ounce....?

will it be magically transformed back when you wring out the thingy ounce?

greets
    lucky luke
    happy trails
    lucky luke

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++