WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Images

I am displaying this stove at the PA Ruck.

Others are bringing their backpacking stoves to show off as well. This will be on display in the main common room at Ironmasters Mansion hostel near the grand piano.

The StarLyte stove is most impressive.

Great job Zelph!

Images

Default yes yes yes

lucky luke--------today is your lucky day!!!!!

Yes!!!!!is it is still a fluid ounce if it does not flow out of the container(in suspension)

Yes!!!!!!it will be transmitted magically into an thingy ounce

Yes!!!!!!it will be magically transformed back when you wring out the thingy ounce

-iamscottym--------The snow was fabulous, had to stay home Friday, the state pushed 1-1/2 feet of snow in my driveway, Went in today to pick up steel, they were closed accept for maintenance workers, nobody in shipping, bummer. Not McMaster, Precision Coil. Will email you tomorrow.

Images

Default cold this am

My atomic clock/thermometer said it was -1 degree outside, time to test the cold weather feature of the "StarLyte"

Prepaired my location outside with standard thermometer in background against some coneflower stalks. The test "StarLyte" was set up with nichrome wires sticking into its surface to show where the flames were. The wire is about .002 in diameter.(2,000 ths of an inch) It glows red hot where the flame passes through it. One of the photos I backed it up with a dark background and was able to see the flame.
    I used denatured alchohol. It was not preheated in any way, it was stored in my unheated garage(13 degrees) I put in 1 fluid ounce/30ml of fuel in and waited approx. 10 min. to adjust to the outdoor temp of +1 degree (according to my hand held infrared gun sensor) it was registering 1+ degrees on the snow surrounding the test site.

I used an extended butane lighter to ignite the "StarLyte"

It ignited with no problem whatsoever!!!!!!

Another Myth Busted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Photo showing thermometer,burner with glowing wire indicating ther is flame

Photo showing another view of same thing as above

Photo showing red hot wire and flame against dark background

The "StarLyte" is a "cold weather stove"
    no primer pan required!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Images

Default storage container for StarLyte

Decided to make storage containers for the "StarLyte"s

I used the anodized aluminum cans that contained little sausages.

Attached the lid with stainless steel ring.

The only thing that I come up with to hold the lid closed at the moment is a high tech "rubber band" (gum band) attached to the pull tab on the lid. Anyone have any other ideas how to keep it closed?

Have not weighed the container yet.

Photo of some containers showing size compared to potstand

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Decided to make storage containers for the "StarLyte"s

I used the anodized aluminum cans that contained little sausages.

Attached the lid with stainless steel ring.

The only thing that I come up with to hold the lid closed at the moment is a high tech "rubber band" (gum band) attached to the pull tab on the lid. Anyone have any other ideas how to keep it closed?

Have not weighed the container yet.

Photo of some containers showing size compared to potstand
    Try a lid from a California Car Scents air freshener.

It's plastic, and has small vents, but it's the same can size as the sausages, I think.

However I could be thinking of 'Spam spread'. Same size can, but a slightly smaller lid opening. Anyway, it's worth a shot.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

I was able to come up with a "Velcro" hold down for the lid. Works really nice.

The weight for the aluminum storage container is: 12.5 grams/0.440 ounces.

Combined weight for stove to include storage container is : 30.08 grams/1.06 ounces

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

So when will you build up enough inventory to distribute this sucker, zelph? As I said back in Post #10, I'm interested and the storage container is a nice option. Ahh, I wish I was 1/10th as handy as you. Great job.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Default StarLytes are Alright!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    So when will you build up enough inventory to distribute this sucker, zelph? As I said back in Post #10, I'm interested and the storage container is a nice option. Ahh, I wish I was 1/10th as handy as you. Great job.
    Kerosene, I seconded that in Post #11... So Zelph, when do you start taking orders? Seriously... A one ounce spillproof stove that boils a pint of water using 15 ml of fuel... Just too good. I think need one. doodah-man

Images

Default not enough hours in a day

I'll have inventory ready this coming Thursday.

Thank You for your patience and kind words.

Images

Zelph, what's the purpose of the storage container?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Images

Skids!!!!!!

When you buy a Cadillac you keep it in a garage

When you buy a "StarLyte" you keep it in a storage container

You don't HAVE TO, you can throw it away and put the stove in your pot or your pocket.

Combined weight for stove to include storage container is : 30.08 grams/1.06 ounces
    The whole thing is lyte as a feather, I suggest keeping the stove in its garage the fiberglass portion of the burner is firm but can be compressed if pressed too hard.

Also would like to say that the top of the burner is firmly fastened to the bottom of the burner. If you remove the top it will break the seal that holds the top to the bottom. Most of you STOVIES will want to peek inside to see what absorbs the fuel, thats ok but beware the Stove Gremlins. Once taken apart it will never go back to its original self.

Images

Default will include new wick material with "StarLyte"

This new wick material will be included with the "StarLyte"

This new wick material is "HotStuff"

It is used in conjunction with gelled alcohol. You put a wad of it inside a can of "Sterno" jelled alcohol, push it into the jell till its coverd and let it stay there until you need it to boil your water. When needed lift it out with a little piece of wire or what ever is handy to get in there and take out the wad of wick that is saturated with the gell. Put it down on a piece of alluminum foil or bare ground, or whatever you have that does'nt burn. Put the stainless steel pot stand over it and then light it up. Put on your pot of water, heat until done, lift pot stand up and put to the side. If gell is still burning you can put it back in the can and put the lid back on the can to snuff it out.

The wick can be used over and over and over, it will not be consumed

Photo one shows wick covered with gelled alcohol

Photo two shows wick on fire and covered with stainless steel potstand

Photo three shows pot of water on potstand with flame pattern

Photo four shows buning wick being put into can(to save unburned fuel)

Photo five shows burning wick in can

Photo six shows lid on can and fire is snuffed out.

I don't have any burn times, boil times, etc. This is new wick technology, just a sample to send along for those who want to try it out with their "StarLyte"

Here is the photo that will be posted in "used gear for sale" I now have some in inventory that can be shipped this comming Saturday.

Images

Inventory has been depleted, thank you for your interest.

Will resupply second week in January, 2007

Images

Default inventory and change

I've made a change in the potstand. I made it adjustable in its diameter and hole configuration.
    This photo shows the original inside the new version. The original was in a fixed position at 2 1/4 inch diameter.. The upgraded version is 3 1/4 inch in diameter and is adjustable. It is furnished with a stainless steel clip that holds the stand at the desired diameter. After a few times using the stand it will retain the curl that you see on the one inside the pot. After the curl has taken a set the clip is not needed if you so desire. I have used the stand without the clip attached and it works just fine.

The increase in diameter gives the stand a larger footprint for stability. Many have indicated that stability was a major concern in smaller ultralyte stoves so I increased its stability. It also increased the weight up to 12 grams.

This pot stand can be used on many different stoves, homemade and commercial. I will make it available by itself or as a complete stove to include the burner.

It is easilly cut with a pair of scissors and can be made to whatever length you want.

The hole pattern has changed thus eliminating the simmer feature. I think that 99% of the users will not want to be simmering with one ounce of fuel. If you want a simmering stove of this size, buy an Ion. With the hole change it can now be used in up or down position. Ambidextrious, left or right. This is an ultralight not good for simmering.

Just a little side note here: I've been able to put my stove into a simmer mode just by removing the lid once the temperature gets up to that certain point where you can hear it start to make that peculiar noise when it starts to make the little bubbles on the bottom of the pot. As many of you have suggested to others to have a lid on the pot to get it to boil, that principle in the opposite causes the stove to simmer/never reach boil. In conjunction with no lid, eliminate the windscreen. This method produces a faux/false simmer.

Another change that has occured is the elimination of the storage container. I have recognised the fact that most would prefer to store the stand and burner inside their pot. Fewer parts, less to worry about. As you can see in the photo, it fits easily into my pot.
    (now i dont have to eat those tiny hotdogs)

Those of you that saw the "StarLyte" at the SO Ruck what did you think of it and also did anyone fire it up to see how it worked?

I'll make available the stove and potstand tomorrow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by zelph; 02-01-2007 at 18:34. Reason: added text pertaining to the Ruckus :) SO Ruck

Images

I carried both StarLytes around in a clear plastic carrying case with a quart of denatured alcohol, my 1-1/2 cup percolator, Starbucks coffee at both Rucks.

I took it/them out many times to display at the Southern Ruck, but never leaving it anywhere because I didn't want to lose it. Instead, I kept losing the entire carrying case, which is the size of a shoe box. Everyone that looked at the StarLyte(s) was amazed by the engineering and the weight.

At the PA Ruck, it was on display with many other stoves. Both StarLytes were played with the entire weekend as if they were a miniature games. We did not light it, probably because they were waiting for me to do this. I just wanted to sit around and perk coffee on it and play with it like a kid, like everyone else

Everyone loved them.

I plan on taking both StarLytes to Duncannon in a few weeks and perk coffee on it. I like your new adjustable windscreen, however I personally am happy with the windscreen you made for the prototype.

The carrying case for the StarLyte was the most ingenious creation. Everyone was fascinated with it.

I can't believe the detail given to each piece, excellent craftsmanship and extreme lightweight it is.

Thank you!

Default Carrying Case

I liked the carrying case as well...maybe you could make it an extra option that people could ask for??

Images

Default potstand for sterno

Sterno gelled alcohol makes for a great simmering fuel. Comes in its own carrying container and is a safe fuel.

The "StarLyte" stainless steel potstand fits well ontop of the can and makes for a great pot support.

Tests show that gelled alcohol will boil 2 cups of water in 16 min under optimum conditions.

The stand stores well around the outside of the can.

Images

Default TwiLyte

Just finished doing some tests on a new burner.

Made in the same fashion as the "StarLyte", anodized aluminum casing, fiberglass cloth and supersorb innerds. No-spill safety feature for both.

The new one weighs 3.6 grams

If everything goes well the new one will boil 2 cups water with 1/2 ounce of fuel.

Fuel capacity for the new one is 1/2 ounce fuel compared to 1 ounce for the "StarLyte"

I'm puting the final touches on a potstand for it. Trying to keep it lightweight and compact. Also designing it to minimize flames going up the sides of small diameter pots. Most of you don't like all that good heat going up the sides of your pots to heat the outer walls of the pot. The outer walls transfer heat also.

Going to name the new one "TwiLyte"

Here is a photo showing size comparison to "StarLyte"

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by zelph; 02-19-2007 at 22:14. Reason: insert photo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Just finished doing some tests on a new burner.

Made in the same fashion as the "StarLyte", anodized aluminum casing, fiberglass cloth and supersorb innerds. No-spill safety feature for both.

The new one weighs 3.6 grams

If everything goes well the new one will boil 2 cups water with 1/2 ounce of fuel.

Fuel capacity for the new one is 1/2 ounce fuel compared to 1 ounce for the "StarLyte"

I'm puting the final touches on a potstand for it. Trying to keep it lightweight and compact. Also designing it to minimize flames going up the sides of small diameter pots. Most of you don't like all that good heat going up the sides of your pots to heat the outer walls of the pot. The outer walls transfer heat also.

Going to name the new one "TwiLyte"
    Love that new sig line!
    Skids

Images

Default New fastener for potstand

Will be testing a new fastenening device for the potstand. I'm going to see how just one will hold. I'll post more info on it on Monday.

Here are two photos:

First photo

Second photo

One more added for the fun of it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++