WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
    donating member; velo vermont!

made the corrugations with a small jig i made with some al. u channel - it is 3/8" x 1/2" +/- - used wing nuts and bolted it to a piece of ply with a cutout in it for the longer side of the metal. folded by hand and then 'burnished' with a stock of al.

was a pain - but worth it to see it come together. after doing the first one i can see improvements to be made to my jig - which might speed things up.

dual flame burner? i'd love to see it.
    i'd also love an old bridgeport in my garage... (and a lathe, a press, drill press, bandsaw.. etc.)

been looking online at al. components and pre-manufactured bottles / tins / etc. found a few places of interest and if i luck out i'll post some links. hoping that some 'prototype samples' come my way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    made the corrugations with a small jig i made with some al. u channel - it is 3/8" x 1/2" +/- - used wing nuts and bolted it to a piece of ply with a cutout in it for the longer side of the metal. folded by hand and then 'burnished' with a stock of al.

was a pain - but worth it to see it come together. after doing the first one i can see improvements to be made to my jig - which might speed things up.

dual flame burner? i'd love to see it.
    i'd also love an old bridgeport in my garage... (and a lathe, a press, drill press, bandsaw.. etc.)

been looking online at al. components and pre-manufactured bottles / tins / etc. found a few places of interest and if i luck out i'll post some links. hoping that some 'prototype samples' come my way.
    The jig worked out really nice and looks like you might be able to make it work with smaller u channel also.

Oh yah!!! garage full of vintage machines, that would be nice!!!!!
    I have an old thread around here somewhere about the dual flame burner. I'll post some test results there.

Good luck on your search for al. components and pre-mfg. bottles/tins. For sure keep us informed on your success and failures.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    The old record is sure to collapse someday. Anybody hear of under 4:00 for 2 cups using open flame design and 1/2 ounce fuel?
    Sure. I can do it anytime I want. Just start with 140 degree water.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

edit said it wrong sorry
    Last edited by oops56; 12-04-2007 at 20:15. Reason: wrong

I can see Zelph and Skids arguing back and forth I bet you I can boil water in record time. Both all get set up and Skids pulls out 140*F Water, Zelph's jaw drops and Stove flames up, lol!!!

Skids sits back takes a slow sip of coffee and says Zelph you owe me five bucks,lol!!!
    Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    I can see Zelph and Skids arguing back and forth I bet you I can boil water in record time. Both all get set up and Skids pulls out 140*F Water, Zelph's jaw drops and Stove flames up, lol!!!

Skids sits back takes a slow sip of coffee and says Zelph you owe me five bucks,lol!!!

I see a hybrid of Iron Chef, Name that Tune, and the junkyard salvage shows. Trail Kitchen Stadium will be the venue - "I can boil that water in 3 minutes..." - "I can boil that water in 2:55!"... and for the showdown a box of misc scrap metal and recycling is dropped on the floor - Skids and Zelph scrum for the most desirable shapes and sizes... coming to a cable channel near you.

Good luck on your search for al. components and pre-mfg. bottles/tins. For sure keep us informed on your success and failures.

found some at a science surplus site. small order is on the way - and some are anodized!

also found some bottles from a specialty bottle maker. have some samples on the way... they look like cosmetic bottles - similar to what was used for the gram weenie stove.

al. canisters are hard to come by in internet land! everyone has tin... but i have some of those on the way too - just to play.

Images

Lotsa Good stuff there for belly laughs galore Yousa guys are cool

I'll be looking at Skids testing results more closely now

Thanks for that site link Bmike. Interesting stuff there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    found some at a science surplus site. small order is on the way - and some are anodized!

also found some bottles from a specialty bottle maker. have some samples on the way... they look like cosmetic bottles - similar to what was used for the gram weenie stove.

al. canisters are hard to come by in internet land! everyone has tin... but i have some of those on the way too - just to play.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! for that link.That's gonna solve some big problems for me.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! for that link.That's gonna solve some big problems for me.
    i ordered one of these
    i've been playing with al. tubing for jetting... hadn't thought about it for a 'wick' though.

wonder if i can cook on it?

Thanks for the link, Bmike. Alot of useable items there.
    You definitely can cook with that burner. It has one setting---full blast ! Good for boiling water. You will need a pot support.

Similar to the vintage coil burner backpacking stoves. Google Stesco, Taykit for a look at the same principle as your burner.

Images

It's cold outside!!!!!!! (here in the midwest)

I made a little movie to show how the "StarLyte" lights in cold weather.

In the beginning of this movie the camera is set on maximum pixels and it is then chaned to the lower pixel setting to get a longer exposure time to record the raising and lowering of the pot.
    The beginning shows the temperature on the little digital unit at 18 degrees in my garage testing facility :geek: . Outside temperature was at 11 degrees. Brrrr!!!
    The temperature of the alcohol was at 18 degrees also. Brrr!!!
    The test was to show alcohol will light in cold weather. In this case the burner is a StarLyte. The alcohol vapors are right there at the surface of the burner. Easy to light, no need to dump alcohol around the base to prime it/coax it into starting.
    The test also shows how the Flame-O-Meter raises the pot up and down to determin the sweet spot/distance from pot to burner. It shows the change of flame color as it is raised and lowered. Someday I'll set up a tripod above the pot to show a birdseye view of the flame under the pot through the water.
    At the end movie it shows how if the burner is accidently tipped over there is no fuel that is splashed about and the burner will extinguish itself.

Nice, cant wait to get mine

Images

For the new year the "StarLyte" has gone into a weight reduction mode.

It has now become a complete stove, having a built-in stainless steel potstand.

The total weight of the stove has been reduced down to 13 grams or
    0.458561 oz

Fuel capacity is still 1 ounce/30ml

These complete "StarLyte" stoves will be made available next week.

Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges! Tobit's Avatar

These complete "StarLyte" stoves will be made available next week.
    Awesome Zelph, as usual. I will be ordering one as soon as you announce the price and start taking PayPal for these.
    John Tobias (aka JT)

Images

Looks interesting. I may have to dive in to the alcohol stove thing again...
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

I actually made a very similar stand for mine, but it sits on the outside. I'll post pics for it. Been testing it this week, it still has masking tape on it for the testing!

Zelph,

can you provide any parameters for the size? I am new to the alcohol stove realm and am wondering if our .9liter titanium pot would have any problem sitting on the pot holder. In the picture the 'pot holder' looks like a paperclip bent and I wonder how a half liter of water holds up on that-i am sure it works but could you clarify/specify some more detail? Thanks a ton!

-Water

starting thruhike with your starlyte and hiney pot zelpph! have my trangia and clickstand and will bestow the zelph stuff on a cool hiker who wants it. im gonna buy more after i give this one away. good ? made cozy for hiny pot and a bic lighter cozy and a cozy for my pot and lid. went cozy crazy with roll of bubble foil stonewall found.
    matthewski

Just ordered one-- can't wait to get it. Nice work zelph.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++