WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Thank you for your purchase. Your order will be shipped today before the snowstorm drops 6" upon us. Dallas had their share no too long ago :-)
    Thank you for the super fast shipping.
    I use a Toaks pot and one of your Starlite with a caldera cone. I'm thinking using the XL will boil faster. I'll test it out.
    That Dallas snow.....It was a typical Texas event. Here in northern Dallas/Fort Worth, we had cold rain and hardly a flake. 60 miles south of here, they had 6 to 8 inches. In Texas, we are just happy it's not ice. I'm a USAF brat, growing up on bases in Alaska, Michigan, Montana, Virginia. So I've had my fill of front doors drifted shut overnight, going to school with a 25 below windchill, hearing dads alert vehicle idling all night long out in the carport because "the car won't start" does NOT sit well with the generals....
    Last edited by rhjanes; 01-25-2021 at 22:52.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

What I like about my Starlyte XL is the fact it holds more than enough fuel to get the job done.When boiling is finished, it's easy to blow the stove out and then just put the lid on it.Once the fuel is in it the fuel will stay in it so I don't worry about having a residual when done.

It's not uncommon for me to want to boil 4 cups of water at night and not having to deal with refilling an alcohol stove or trying to reclaim unused fuel later is a big plus for "fiddle factor".

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    What I like about my Starlyte XL is the fact it holds more than enough fuel to get the job done.When boiling is finished, it's easy to blow the stove out and then just put the lid on it.Once the fuel is in it the fuel will stay in it so I don't worry about having a residual when done.
    It's not uncommon for me to want to boil 4 cups of water at night and not having to deal with refilling an alcohol stove or trying to reclaim unused fuel later is a big plus for "fiddle factor".
    My favorite kit nowadays is the Sterno Inferno pot with heat exchange fins (30% more feul efficient) the Starlyte xl3 with small opening, lightweight lid made of aluminum and aa titanium pot support/windscreen that fits inside pot making this kit nice and compact.

sterno inferno 2.jpgsterno inferno.jpgScreenshot 2021-02-26 at 10.33.19 AM.pngScreenshot 2021-02-26 at 10.34.16 AM.png
    Last edited by zelph; 02-26-2021 at 12:51.

I like that lid!

By the way - have you run across a decent cup that fits well inside the Inferno? I've got a titanium mug that probably holds 10 ounces and the XL3 nests inside it perfectly. Unfortunately it sticks out above the Inferno maybe 1/4" so a lid doesn't really fit on top well.

The new setup is awesome. Loving the simplicity of the XL3/Inferno/wind screen combo.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I like that lid!

By the way - have you run across a decent cup that fits well inside the Inferno? I've got a titanium mug that probably holds 10 ounces and the XL3 nests inside it perfectly. Unfortunately it sticks out above the Inferno maybe 1/4" so a lid doesn't really fit on top well.

The new setup is awesome. Loving the simplicity of the XL3/Inferno/wind screen combo.
    The Toaks 375ml fits inside. I put Reflectix cozy and SnowPeak Hot Lips on it, and I use the Toaks Siphon burner which fits inside the cup. I don't know if the XL3 will fit inside.

1231201042.jpg1231201043a.jpg

Thanks!

One more curiosity question... Have you considered and/or experimented with putting anything on the outside of the inferno pot to eliminate heat loss from a breeze? Given the relatively low heat output of the alcohol burner, I'd wondered if any wind might be a significant problem for bringing something to a boil. If so, a thin wrap of neoprene or evazote might be worth the minimal weight.

Images

Get a can of Armour Vienna Sausage, holds 9.25 oz. and the xl3 might fit and allow lid to fit. My Inferno is packed away right now and not sure if I have the sausage can handy to check the fit.

sausages are available at Dollar General stores $1 per can. Use a side cutter to remove lid.

Thanks - I'll take a look at the tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post

Forgot to mention that when I have residual fuel left in the XL3 I carry it separately from the cookset even though the lid is on I still get a whiff of alcohol vapors and don't want to do that.When it has been run to the point of fuel exhaustion there is no issue.

Starlytes have to be the safest alcohol alternative on the market.And NO waiting on "blooms" or any such nonsense.Just light it and start cooking..........

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    My favorite kit nowadays is the Sterno Inferno pot with heat exchange fins (30% more feul efficient) the Starlyte xl3 with small opening, lightweight lid made of aluminum and aa titanium pot support/windscreen that fits inside pot making this kit nice and compact.

sterno inferno 2.jpgsterno inferno.jpgScreenshot 2021-02-26 at 10.33.19 AM.pngScreenshot 2021-02-26 at 10.34.16 AM.png
    Thanks to cmoulder for recommending the Inferno pot a few years ago. And thanks to Zelph for hooking me up with the Ti cone windscreen/pot stand. I've been using this for a few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    The Toaks 375ml fits inside. I put Reflectix cozy and SnowPeak Hot Lips on it, and I use the Toaks Siphon burner which fits inside the cup. I don't know if the XL3 will fit inside.

1231201042.jpg1231201043a.jpg
    I do exactly as above, but I use the now unobtainable MLD 475 with a cozy, lid (either the Ruta Locura or Toaks) and the Toaks Syphon. When weather gets warmer I use the Starlytes.

Thanks!

One more curiosity question... Have you considered and/or experimented with putting anything on the outside of the inferno pot to eliminate heat loss from a breeze? Given the relatively low heat output of the alcohol burner, I'd wondered if any wind might be a significant problem for bringing something to a boil. If so, a thin wrap of neoprene or evazote might be worth the minimal weight.
    Around the body of the Inferno? I haven't tried it. I would expect the bottom edge to melt or burn. Candidly, the Inferno is so darn fast and hot water gets decanted so quickly, not sure I would see a need for it..

Thanks!

I haven't but I agree with MikekiM that it probably isn't necessary. I've used mine down to 14°F and it boils very cold water in about 5 minutes. However, I still wouldn't use it for snow melting — at least not as my primary method for obtaining water — because the volume/weight of fuel required would not be practical compared to a canister stove and a heat-exchange pot. I've recently been using a JB MightyMo and Olicamp XTS pot for that purpose.

To clarify - I wasn't worried about the general efficiency of the stove or the water cooling rapidly afterward, just trying to keep a cold breeze from contacting the aluminum directly and soaking heat away from it while the stove was running. Most of the time you could find/make a good wind break, but in the event that's not possible...

Maybe not worth it though.

To clarify - I wasn't worried about the general efficiency of the stove or the water cooling rapidly afterward, just trying to keep a cold breeze from contacting the aluminum directly and soaking heat away from it while the stove was running. Most of the time you could find/make a good wind break, but in the event that's not possible...

Admittedly, the Jetboil concept makes good use of a neoprene jacket.. for insulation of both your hands and the pot contents, so maybe it is a good idea. I don't use the inferno if temps are truly low, opting for the Jetboil instead.

I'd say give it a try.. That's the only way to determine whether or not there is an advantage.

Some years back I made a neoprene jacket for an Olicamp XTS pot. I did test it a bit but the results are lost in the haze of time and some backwater swamp on my hard drive. However I'm guessing it did not offer a huge advantage else I would remember. I think I mainly lost interest because the pot was comparatively heavy and I decided to move on to other things. But lately I've been using that same pot (sans jacket) with a JB MightyMo (somewhat similar to Pocket Rocket) and actually like the setup for snow melting. The combo is a couple oz lighter than the MiniMo, and I like that the pot just sits on the pot supports and is not recessed like most JB designs.

Olicamp XTS with jacket:
    Olicamp_XTS_with_cozy_edited-1.jpg

I do believe that MikekiM is correct that with a high output stove the jacket would likely suffer heat damage.

For sure re the heat damage on a higher output stove. Not a concern on a typical alcohol burner, but with a canister burner at full chat it would be a real problem.

It would be nice to have access to a walk in refrigerator and a fan for some controlled testing.

For sure re the heat damage on a higher output stove. Not a concern on a typical alcohol burner. . .
    With my experience, it's not so much the high output as the output around and up the sides of the stove. So, a higher output burner with a narrower spot of heat in the middle of the bottom of the pot wouldn't be as much of a problem as an alcohol burner with a much lower output but large lazy flame that burns around and up the sides of the pot more.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Interesting. I've noticed very little heat escaping around the sides of the pot with this setup.

Images

I quote Gary Dunckel:

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:46 pm#3484201

[COLOR=#000000 !important]Dan, I just now repeated the gelled alcohol test with the stock Sterno Inferno setup, this time without the cozy. It took 20 min 30 sec to achieve a boil. It might be a wee bit breezy today, and I think the first test was in pretty calm conditions. So I’ll call it a wash whether or not a cozy is used. If anything, the cozy helped a bit. I’m pretty sure that the particular gel fuel is the problem. I’ve some errands to take care of this afternoon, and I’ll pick up a 3-pack of 7 oz. Sterno cans. I’ll test that fuel tonight.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000 !important]I am also plotting the cooling of that water, to again compare it to cooling rate with a cozy. I’m pretty sure that a cozy slows down the cooling, like I had mentioned earlier.[/COLOR]
    After Gary did more testing he came back 5 days later with this comment:

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:27 am
    [COLOR=#000000 !important]This morning I wanted to check Dan’s assertion that water would boil faster without a cozy than with one. Using a crappy alcohol stove with the Inferno pot/pot stand, heating 2 C of 48* F water with .75 fl oz of alcohol, the water in the pot WITH cozy boiled at 9 min 45 sec, and without a cozy it boiled at 9 min 15 sec. So the water did indeed boil a bit quicker when NOT using a cozy, 5.1% to 5.4% faster, depending on the point of reference. Although this is a sample size of just one test of each, I tend to think that maybe Dan was right. I had previously reported my findings of the cooling rate of the boiled water, and that the cozy reduced the cooling speed by 25%. All of these statements relate to an aluminum pot, and I would expect that a titanium pot might perform differently. The tests were done on a 70* F morning with no breeze at all. It will be interesting to see if there are similar results if a significant wind or stiff breeze is present, and also if the ambient temperature is somewhere near freezing.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000 !important]At this point I see that the slow cooling of using a cozy somewhat compensates for the slightly quicker boil time. Trade-offs, huh?[/COLOR]
    So that was some results of cozy, no cozy.

Is that from the BPL thread? If so, I did read through that and appreciated all the testing that had gone on. In particular, the point that in general a cozy hurts rather than helps. My questions were specific to the case of having a breeze and how it would affect results, though. Do you know if there was any follow up on that topic in particular? Seems like it would be easy enough to make the cozy removable and just slide it on after heating as desired, or throw it on if environmental conditions called for it. If, of course, it actually had any value at all based on test results.

Images

A breeze is just a breeze........windscreens have always been recommend when using any kind of stove to prevent loss of heat. The keep the heat concentrated around the pot and prevent a breeze from pushing the flame off to one side of the pot.

Yes, those quotes were from BPL. There was only a 15 second difference in boil times, cozy no cozy. If you slow drink/eat use a cozy to keep your pot warmer longer. If you sit around in a group sipping coffee/hot chocolate, use a coze.

Bob Moulder's test results were a little different, his conclusions:

Nov 28, 2017 at 2:40 pm
    [COLOR=#000000 !important]I did some pretty good tests this morning, ambient temp 26-29°F, no wind.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000 !important]Although I had intended to run both setups at the same time and do a time-lapse video, it turned out that one of my digital kitchen thermometers was about 5°F off, which made for an annoying discrepancy right out of the gate. So I decided to do it the old-fashioned way and do two well-controlled runs and eliminate as many variables as possible.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000 !important]I was not testing for fuel efficiency, but I made sure the burner had the same amount of fuel in it before starting each run, and lit the burner and let it go for 3 minutes to thoroughly warm up because I noted in some earlier tests that the starting condition of the stove (temperature and amount of fuel) can affect heat output somewhat.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000 !important]Ambient for No-Cozy was 29°F, water 40°F start temp. Cozy ambient 26°F, water 37°F.
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000 !important]Conclusions: As I had guessed, there was a slight advantage with the cozy in the heating phase and a definite—although not huge—advantage for the cozy during the cooling phase. Despite starting off with a 3° disadvantage, the pot with cozy “caught up” and achieved a lid-knocking boil in 10:20 compared with 10:09 for the non-cozy pot. After the flame was put out, however, the cozy setup remained 10 degrees warmer than the non-cozy some 12 minutes later. I actually expected perhaps a bigger difference, but it am what it am. ;^)[/COLOR]

Test set-up

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
++ New Posts ++