WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Yes, get rid of the gaping hole that was once used for the handles of a diff pot. That hole diverts the heat off to one side. The air flow is following the path of least resistance.

Attachment 42652

got it....

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    So my 9 minutes was horrible.

Meant to say my 9 min wasn't horrible...

Journal Entries

So my 9 minutes was horrible.
    9 minutes was about as good as it gets, IIRC you were at about 10.5 minutes. Fuel usage on your setup seems high however.

From the top of the burner to bottom of the pot or from the ground to the bottom of the pot?
    Top of burner to the bottom of the pot is 2.25 inches

With this setup, I won't be able to reach a distance of 2" from top of burner to bottom of pot and still have a setup that meets my objectives, one of which is everything nests in the pot. As it is, only about 1" of the pot is actually in the cone. It's still far more stable (one of my other objectives) than if I were using a stand of any other sort, so any additional boil time might be a necessary compromise.

I don't keep the Starlyte in a ziploc.. but I also haven't stored fuel in it, though I know that is one of the benefits. I am not confident enough with this setup to rely solely on what fuel gets decanted to the burner.. I would want to take extra, if only an extra two ounces.

You mention 'fill it to the rim'. How can you tell how much fuel is the stove to determine whether it is at or about to go over the brim? Zelph has been quite vocal about not overfilling the stove for fear that it will heat up, boil and overflow.

Certainly not the case for me. I can grab the pot without getting burned, but if I keep my hand at the pot top, I will be sorry..

I can now see the value in using the restrctor plate. Consider, I am not in a rush so a longer boil time can be ok. And, I don't ever recall actually needing to reach a boil in the field.. hot enough is hot enough.

Holes are slightly larger than 1/4".. not standard hole punch. I am using the HD hole punch with the depth index on it. Love that thing. The holes are spaced 7/8" OC, single row on only one side of the cone.

That makes sense and I know that intuitively.. just didn't know how best to diagnose the choke point. I have three top notch canister stoves and I never use them. If I am in a rush, I'll go to the diner.

So once I have the airflow correct, will the cone need any modification if used with the modified Starlyte?[/QUOTE]

Journal Entries

I hit reply before I was done, Take two:

Well continuing...

With this setup, I won't be able to reach a distance of 2" from top of burner to bottom of pot and still have a setup that meets my objectives, one of which is everything nests in the pot. As it is, only about 1" of the pot is actually in the cone. It's still far more stable (one of my other objectives) than if I were using a stand of any other sort, so any additional boil time might be a necessary compromise.
    I did think that one of your objectives was to get the whole thing into the pot, so it's a compromise which one may have to accept reduced efficiency to get that. The cone has always been a pain to store/carry and getting it into the pot is nice.

But what it appears is happening is due to that short distance (1 in), you are getting thermal feedback which is causing more fuel to evaporate then can be combusted with the air you have in the cone. You can try the restrictor plate I mentioned to cut down on fuel usage, and to act as a heat shield from the fuel below. Again it has to be at least 2/3rd of the diameter of the opening to seem to do anything so don't start small, I found its a waste of time. You can also consider the modified Starlyte with the reduced opening, or even a simmer Starlyte if they are still available.

There is also the option of a 2 part cone where one part slides over the other, reducing the storage length and getting the full cone when cooking.

I don't keep the Starlyte in a ziploc.. but I also haven't stored fuel in it, though I know that is one of the benefits. I am not confident enough with this setup to rely solely on what fuel gets decanted to the burner.. I would want to take extra, if only an extra two ounces.
    To each their own - HYOH. I only take the Starlyte by itself when I know my cooking demands are low, perhaps AM coffee. IIRC I can usually get 2 burns out of a full Starlyte - Normally 1 use, one backup. Sometimes you just have to go and do it.

You mention 'fill it to the rim'. How can you tell how much fuel is the stove to determine whether it is at or about to go over the brim? Zelph has been quite vocal about not overfilling the stove for fear that it will heat up, boil and overflow.
    You can see it start pooling in the grating - pretty obvious. I have not found that to be a problem since it's only overfilled at the beginning when everything is cool, the liquid level quickly drops to below the matrix below.

Certainly not the case for me. I can grab the pot without getting burned, but if I keep my hand at the pot top, I will be sorry..
    Another point of inefficency, too much heat is escaping. I would at this point really consider lowering the flame height with the restrictor plates and see if that helps fuel consumption.

I can now see the value in using the restrctor plate. Consider, I am not in a rush so a longer boil time can be ok. And, I don't ever recall actually needing to reach a boil in the field.. hot enough is hot enough.

Holes are slightly larger than 1/4".. not standard hole punch. I am using the HD hole punch with the depth index on it. Love that thing. The holes are spaced 7/8" OC, single row on only one side of the cone.

That makes sense and I know that intuitively.. just didn't know how best to diagnose the choke point. I have three top notch canister stoves and I never use them. If I am in a rush, I'll go to the diner.

So once I have the airflow correct, will the cone need any modification if used with the modified Starlyte?
    I did another experiment this morning, the same burn:

Starlyte full to brim:
    Boil time 2 cups: 8m40s
    Fuel usage 16 g = 0.56 oz weight = 0.7 oz volume

Starlyte 2nd burn (not refilled, just leftover):
    Boil time for 2 cups: 9m10s
    Fuel usage:16 g (-) = 0.56 oz weight = 0.7 (-) oz volume

* A full boil did happen, however the stove was running out of fuel at this point and the full boil quickly fell down to boiling in one spot, but still large bubble. Fuel usage was perhaps a bit lower, hence the (-) notation, then the first one as I let it run dry which I could have stopped it at the full boil point.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    9 minutes was about as good as it gets, IIRC you were at about 10.5 minutes. Fuel usage on your setup seems high however.
    Yep.. you missed my response above.. That should have said my 9 min wasn't horrible...

With where I am now, I am going to make a new cone, with the added intake holes, omitting the handle opening and a few less exhaust holes. I have a bunch of tins identical to the Starlyte burner.. I am going to try a DIY restrictor first.. then I'll likely order a modified Starlyte. But one thing at a time.

A two part cone isn't out of the question. Should be easy to make. Again, one thing at a time..

I know I can always add more exhaust holes later, but I'd like to get as close as possible from the start.. if I make a new cone without the handle opening, what's the general rule on the number/size of exhaust holes to intake holes? I have a ton of exhaust holes on this cone.

I did some boil tests with my Starlyte and found the heat output dropped substantially as the fuel load dropped. So if you wanted the shortest boil times, you would be better off putting in more fuel than you need, extinguish, and store with excess fuel. One advantage of the Starlyte is you can blow it out like a candle.

Journal Entries

I know I can always add more exhaust holes later, but I'd like to get as close as possible from the start.. if I make a new cone without the handle opening, what's the general rule on the number/size of exhaust holes to intake holes? I have a ton of exhaust holes on this cone.
    I'm out of town for a few, so no way of checking my cone to answer this.

Images

Over the years I've used many different containers for various stove designs. I recently discovered a container to make a simmer ring that fits really nice on the Starlyte burners to include the Starlyte Gold. I've made a dozen for those that might be interested in doing some dry baking:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/simmer-...lyte-golds.php

Images

Lighting a StarLyte in cold weather.

It's an appropriate video for some of us within the Polar Vortex System icon_bananaFire.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=6kcyj_nYS1A

I am a fan of the Starlyte stove because it will not spill and start a fire.I use a simple windscreen and it takes me about 9 minutes to get a boil going.I think my boil times are better with denatured alcohol over Heet.I put my fuel in my pocket to warm it up which is a big help when the weather is cold.If you are in a big hurry there is always isobutane stoves.

Images

Heads-up......wedding favor tins are no longer available. Once my inventory of Starlyte Stoves is depleted they are history. Sad....but true.

So what kind of can is the Starlyte XL made from? It's my favorite ride right now.I use mine with a Caldera Cone and a Foster's can as all I want to do in the woods is boil water and do freezer bag cooking.The bottom of the cone carrier holds my FB and the top half works as a mug.Works for me.

I hope you never discontinue your stoves as they always get the job done....

Ah, the end of an era!

I still have and use the original Starlyte burner and the stove with the little pot stand built in. Used it just last week, in fact, with my older Open Country 3-cup aluminum pot (which has long been discontinued) to cook up some hot-spicy Korean noodles. I like my fast, super-efficient setups that can boil a couple of cups in less than 5 minutes, but it's nice to have a combo that accommodates something that slightly resembles cooking.

I found a twenty pack of the favor tins in Party City. Nearly identical to the ones you for the Starlyte. No plastic lid though. I have to imagine you have seen these, but if not I can send you one to see if it works. I bought them maybe two years ago, but can't imagine them not selling them today.

I need a new plastic cap for one of my old original Starlytes. Can you sell them separate? I melted mine... used the overturned Starylye as an esbit tray and forgot to remove the cap, which promptly melted. I still use the screw top burner as well, but I love the original.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Ah, the end of an era!

I still have and use the original Starlyte burner and the stove with the little pot stand built in. Used it just last week, in fact, with my older Open Country 3-cup aluminum pot (which has long been discontinued) to cook up some hot-spicy Korean noodles. I like my fast, super-efficient setups that can boil a couple of cups in less than 5 minutes, but it's nice to have a combo that accommodates something that slightly resembles cooking.
    Didn't know you had that one.. bring it on one of our trips..

I found a twenty pack of the favor tins in Party City. Nearly identical to the ones you for the Starlyte. No plastic lid though. I have to imagine you have seen these, but if not I can send you one to see if it works. I bought them maybe two years ago, but can't imagine them not selling them today.

I need a new plastic cap for one of my old original Starlytes. Can you sell them separate? I melted mine... used the overturned Starylye as an esbit tray and forgot to remove the cap, which promptly melted. I still use the screw top burner as well, but I love the original.

Didn't know you had that one.. bring it on one of our trips..
    Will do! It was kinda fun, actually.

I got a Starlyte stove this past summer and love it. It gets the job done.

I just ordered two more to cover me in case I lose one or give one away as trail magic.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    So what kind of can is the Starlyte XL made from?
    I hope you never discontinue your stoves as they always get the job done....
    The XL3 is made from a commercial grade aluminum can purchased by the case from a can company in British Columbia. They offered a lid along with the cans. Had to purchase a commercial can sealer in order to seal the cans once they were filled with absorbing material and the stainless steel mesh disc that protects the contents.

The XL3 is made from a commercial grade aluminum can purchased by the case from a can company in British Columbia. They offered a lid along with the cans. Had to purchase a commercial can sealer in order to seal the cans once they were filled with absorbing material and the stainless steel mesh disc that protects the contents.
    Thanks,Zelph,I can attest that it is the ultimate alcohol stove and also the safest one out there.

Great stoves. I just ordered a few more, then noticed the XL3 and decided to get that one also.

Will you continue to be able to produce the XL3?
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Great stoves. I just ordered a few more, then noticed the XL3 and decided to get that one also.

Will you continue to be able to produce the XL3?
    The XL3 works wonders with my Sterno Inferno pot with the heat exchange fins....great combination. I replaced the Inferno lid with a much lighter one. I also made a small cone pot support for it.

I will produce the XL3 until all parts are used up.

Thank you for your purchase. Your order will be shipped today before the snowstorm drops 6" upon us. Dallas had their share no too long ago :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi Veloce View Post
    I just ordered two more to cover me in case I lose one or give one away as trail magic.

Thank you for your purchase Bianchi, your order will be shipped today.
    Last edited by zelph; 01-25-2021 at 11:12.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
++ New Posts ++