WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

I am not sure how long the price will last, but I just saw that "Awol on the Appalachian Trail" in the Kindle version is on sale at Amazon.com. The print price is $15.95, the regular Kindle price is $9.99, but right now they have it for $3.99.

Default Awol on the Appalachian Trail

Its $5.99 in paperback and $3.99 Kindle, I got the paperback yesterday

John

Images

Thumbs up

Fantastic book. I'm halfway through reading it. I just got to the chapter where AWOL is at the Delaware Water Gap. I can accredit this book for starting all this madness with me wanting to get back on the trails again! Thx AWOL! LOL! It's also the reason I found and joined whiteblaze.net. I'm not big on reading but I decided to purchase this book since hiking is an interest of mine. Now, I’m having trouble putting the book down. AWOL’s writing made me feel like I was right next to him every step of his journey (half of his journey so far). After a couple of chapters into the book I started searching the shelters he mentions just to get a glimpse of some of the sights. I've read stories and opinions listed on the internet about the Hostel keepers and other people he met. The story makes me want to quit my job and gather my gear and start my own journey on the AT! I was a bit disappointed towards his review about Slatington, PA. Since it was one of the few places he had nothing nice to say during his stay there. There are so many other places he could have stayed and had a better experience. If there is only one book you are going to read about the AT I would highly recommend this one!
    DayHiker G
    "Hiking is not a spectator sport."

I got it on Kindle it was a very good book , check with your local library if you do not want to buy it, I know my library has it

Just finished reading it... could not put it down! Bought it on the forum (thanks Chicken Feathers!) started reading it when I took it out of the mail box and did not stop.

What a great read!

I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas and this is the first Kindle book I've read. Well, the only one. Am re-reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by phobos View Post
    I found a quote that pretty much sums up my life so far in the epilogue " It is disturbing how tenuous our potential is due to our fervent defense of the comfortable norm"

I can't begin to explain how many adventures / different paths I could have taken in life, but didn't because of the fear of change. I think you might have inspired me AWOL!
    Emerson & Thoreau would be proud!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Emerson & Thoreau would be proud!
    Not to mention Abbey?

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Add me to the list of people who really enjoyed this book. It's currently #2,509 for all paid books on the Kindle, and number 1 in the following categories:
    Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Travel > Essays & Travelogues Books > Sports & Outdoors > Hiking & Camping > Excursion Guides Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Sports > Outdoors & Nature > Hiking & Camping
    Not bad for a book about hiking.

For those who are Prime members and cheap, you can also borrow it for free. AWOL will still get paid something for it when you borrow it, so don't feel guilty.

Images

This was the first book I ever read on thru hiking. Loved it and it has been my favorite by far.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks I got my copy from the Amazon and I found a new category...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

I too purchased this book prior to my hike and found it to be well written. I hiked as Gatorgump and just published a book titled "sometimes the Appalachian trail is..." by J. Michael Osmond on kindle and amazon (shameless plug).
    Be forewarned, my book is different in that it talks much about the youthful party atmosphere along the trail and in the towns and mentions many hostels. Some, I understand, like Miss Janet's are no longer in existence.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++