WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Great guy, great book. He tells it like it is. ~ He talked about his hike and book at a session at the A.T. Museum Grand Opening this past weekend. ~ As I was doing trail magic in Maryland, his guide book The A.T. Guide: 2010 was getting rave reviews for the terrain profiles and town maps.

I just finished this book and I too HIGHLY recommend it!!! I read it entirely in a weekend!!!

Tom

I got this last xmas and read it pretty quickly. Have read through a half dozen other AT books this year, and I am back rereading this one. It is a great read.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I just recieved this book in the mail today, can't wait to start it tonight. Also recieved In Beauty May She Walk. I'm good for the next couple of weeks

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianGirlsKickAss View Post
    I just recieved this book in the mail today, can't wait to start it tonight. Also recieved In Beauty May She Walk. I'm good for the next couple of weeks
    Two great books! My problem is I read good books overnight, then need another fix.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Registered User writeronthestorm's Avatar

I finished this last week and thought it was a great read. Though I have to admit for me it was an example of how I don't wan't to do my thru-hike... You know, constantly pushing yourself to make 20 plus mile days, overnighting in town all the time, rushing to get mail drops, etc... Just seemed like he was a slave to his plan.

Quote Originally Posted by writeronthestorm View Post
    I finished this last week and thought it was a great read. Though I have to admit for me it was an example of how I don't wan't to do my thru-hike... You know, constantly pushing yourself to make 20 plus mile days, overnighting in town all the time, rushing to get mail drops, etc... Just seemed like he was a slave to his plan.
    I second this.

Quote Originally Posted by writeronthestorm View Post
    ...Just seemed like he was a slave to his plan.
    Perhaps. But AWOL has gotten the best reviews for any AT book on Amazon.com. It blows Bryson's book away. I like hiking my own hiking style. And I didn't hike the AT the same way as AWOL or anyone else. But my hiking style was a lot more similar to AWOL than it was to Bryson's. I would say that you're not a slave to your plan if you're free to quit or make changes to it at any time. If he was hiking his own style, and apparently he was, wouldn't that define freedom?

I've probably said it before but one of the things I like best about AWOL's book is it's honesty. There was the way he thought it was going to be, and the way it actually was. It's easy to think "if I hike it right it will all be fun." But most people find it isn't all fun, and that's the main reason people quit. When it got bad enough, AWOL thought about quitting and admitted it in his book. He didn't, he drove on and found out the experience is greater than the sum of its parts. He hiked his own hike in his own way. According to the Amazon reviews he has done the best job at telling the story of an AT thru-hike. I agree.

aka Kudzu
    Images

When I saw this was available for the Kindle I rushed to download it. It took me about a week in my spare time and I just finished it last week. I really enjoyed it and will probably be reading it again before too long. Very nice book!
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

well I just bought it for my kindle app on my iphone, hope its good, sounds like it is.

Images

Got mine on Amazon as an E-book. Read the entire thing in 2 days. Loved it.
    The hand may be quicker than the eye, but it is often proven that the mouth is a thousand times faster than the brain!

Gipsy

Journal Entries
    Images

need a video now.

what a great read! im really glad i saw this thread and decided to download the ebook.
    i read it on my ipod touch, with the kindle app, so its alot smaller than your regular kindle, but i wizzed through the book, read it all in about two days, i spent any free time i had reading it, and i dont have much of that.

if AWOL lurks these threads at all, thanks alot man, glad you took the time to write all that up, i enjoyed it. cant wait to start my thru this year.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I've read it three times because I loved reading it. I've also given it as gifts to a few. We "bingo'd" when AWOL took to the trail.--Kinnikinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wilconow View Post
    Another "journal" type book by an average writer. David Brill's As Far As The Eye Can See is the only book chronicling a thru-hike I really enjoyed.
    Wilconow, I would love to read any of your published work . . . . .
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wilconow View Post
    Another "journal" type book by an average writer. David Brill's As Far As The Eye Can See is the only book chronicling a thru-hike I really enjoyed.
    I read the Brill book while at Elmers on a thru hike. Pulled damn near all nighter. Great book. I remember the character nick? The guy that yogi'd everything?

That said I have read them all and AWOL s book is as good as any.

It drags by Maine as the hiker does, but a true example of what it might be like.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Just started reading AWOL......about on chapter two....it is great so far!

I'm about 3/4 the way through this book . I'm am not a fast reader bit when I read it I find I can't put it down anticipating what he's up against next on his journey. Great read and he does a great job of including the people he has met along the way . And how he incorporates other peoples manor of hiking and what not. I live in Massachusettes and I'm planning a section of the AT trail here, but when I go I will definitly bring some trail magic for the possibility of meeting up with some thru hikers and helping them out on ther own journey. Thanks for the great read AWOL.

Default Book

I just started it and it is in fact a very good book.

John

Yup it's definitely a good book. I read it a couple months ago and enjoyed it. It really gave a good account of the overall experience. This was actually the first book I read about thru hiking the AT and it's what really sparked my interest in the trail and thru hiking.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++