WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Byer vs HH explorer ultralight

Hey All, first post here and so far I have been impressed with the forum content and member replies!

I am an avid hiker and am interested in making the switch from ground to air. I recently purchased a Byer Mosquito for testing purposes, for 5$ it was a pretty good deal. I am finding that it is not the most comfortable hanger out there though. I have it set up indoors at this point and am finding that one side is a lot looser than the other. Free hanging it makes a sideways U. I have been following this site for a while now, lurking as it would be called so I have read Just Jeffs recs about a ridgeline and plan on rigging one up this afternoon...
    Honestly though, I am an all or nothing guy and have already become bitten by the prospect of sleeping in the HH explorer Ultralight. The review are all fairly consistent in that the HH are great for beginners and, with a slight learning curve, easy to use.
    Here is the point: does anyone know where I can get one used for less than 50% original price? The lowest price on either the expl. or ex.ult. i have found anywhere is 137$ on southsummit.com Still too much for my liking. Online forums, gear sites etc would be helpful, and if anyone has one they are looking to dump I would love to look at it.

Also, I am 6'1 175. Anyone over 6' use the smaller HH with success?

Thanks for the imput guys
    dan

Images

U will not be dissapointed with the HH

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Welcome to WB.

Email HH directly. Sometimes they sell returned, repaired, or demo models. I got an explorer Ultralight last year for around $100.

- Post a "willing to buy" in the "buy and sell gear" forum here on WB.
    - Like HE said, email HH for their clearance list. (Then post it here)
    - Check eBay.

I just got a Byer and it did the same thing. Hang the hammock, stand on the side that's too tight, and push down on only that side. That stretched mine out a bit so it wasn't lopsided. Still not as comfortable as the HH, but I got my Byer for $20 so it's really not a fair comparison.

great suggestions, i'll do that today and get that clearance list posted.
    thanks

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Just Jeff said: "I just got a Byer and it did the same thing. Hang the hammock, stand on the side that's too tight, and push down on only that side. "

Were you a tightrope walker in a previous life??

Mine's doing the same thing.

I figuring out the safety net now. getting ready to walk that line!!

Tom

Go with the Hennessy. Just received a UL Backpacker for $99 on demo from their list. I have the Byer and it pretty much sucks compared to both my Hennessy Hammocks. But then that's like comparing a Ford Taurus to a Ferrari.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Welcome to the hanging crowd...

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by teblum View Post
    Just Jeff said: "I just got a Byer and it did the same thing. Hang the hammock, stand on the side that's too tight, and push down on only that side. "

Were you a tightrope walker in a previous life??
    Haha...guess it did sound like that, huh? Stand ON THE GROUND next to the side that sits up too high, then push down on it. The side, not the ground.

Or tell your wife to tightrope walk it. Could be entertaining.

haha, i'll get my wife to tightrope it!! should be fun, thanks guys

dingus khan, look into the ENO hammocks. Eagles Nest Outfiters the price can't be beat, but you will need to buy tarp and bug netting or make your own....
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    dingus khan, look into the ENO hammocks. Eagles Nest Outfiters the price can't be beat, but you will need to buy tarp and bug netting or make your own....
    i have already used them, like them a lot...
    i was trying to avoid the whole "make your own" - remember i am still new at this stuff...
    i am a n.e. surfer guy, good with fiberglass and resin, have some skills in sewing just haven't got the specifics down yet.

i have been impressed with the HH reviews and hence have headed that way. although i do like the eno's, especially the doubles, the HH have won my attention

who said you need to sew to make your own hammock? It seriously is dead easy. A bit of hammock origami and knot tying. Two people can be handy when tightening up the knots. Though the HH's are nice.

TH
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

why make your own with so many great hammock brands out there now... I have had several differant types but the one i recomend and have been using for a over a year now is Eagels Nest a.k.a ENO. this is the most comfortable and versatile hammock sleep system I have ever seen or used! I AM PRO ENO HAMMOCKS ALL THE WAY!!!!

++ New Posts ++